General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sjr
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Aug-14 15:13:55
Print Post

Small exchange to the wider world

[link to this post]

Is there a typical size for the link between a small, rural exchange out to the wider world? 155 Mbit? 1Gbit? 10Gbit? More, less or something in between or is there no hard and fast rule? The exchange I'm thinking about is Goudhurst (NDGOU) so if anybody knows about that exchange in particular even better!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 04-Aug-14 17:34:38
Print Post

Re: Small exchange to the wider world

[re: sjr] [link to this post]

Physical link could be 10 Gbps or 100 Mbps, what is important is how much capacity is given to the tunnel your connection uses over this link.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User chris6273
(committed) Mon 04-Aug-14 17:50:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by sjr:
Is there a typical size for the link between a small, rural exchange out to the wider world? 155 Mbit? 1Gbit? 10Gbit? More, less or something in between or is there no hard and fast rule? The exchange I'm thinking about is Goudhurst (NDGOU) so if anybody knows about that exchange in particular even better!

Depends - you can rarely tell because the exchange could be used to house backhauls from other smaller exchanges in the area.

Your DSLAM will likely have a 155Mbit link to the backhaul because it's still a plain old ADSL Max DSLAM.

Bearing in mind there's no LLU at your exchange and seeing as there are around 1100 lines in total, I'd imagine it has a 155Mbps backhaul which may or may not all be in use.

If it was 21CN enabled (Which it isn't at the moment), I'd have said 1Gbps.

Re: your first question - Very small exchanges which haven't been upgraded to 21CN will mostly have ~30Mbps backhauls to the closest bigger exchange in a town for example like is highlighted on the Kitz website:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/equip2.htm#cloud

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Telewest (2004-2006): 256Kbps -> 512Kbps
University of Portsmouth's Horrible Network (2013 - 2014) - Supposedly 100/100Mbps
BT (2006 - Present): 8128/448 -> 22494/1211 -> 79987/20000Kbps (BT Infinity 2 on Huawei Cab)

Edited by chris6273 (Mon 04-Aug-14 17:51:52)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 04-Aug-14 17:52:47
Print Post

[re: chris6273] [link to this post]

Back in the day Tiscali when selling 1 Mbps connections, used to only provision 2 Mbps for 100 customers - hence why at peak times things slowed down.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User sjr
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Aug-14 21:18:50
Print Post

Thanks for the replies. I'm trying to explain to the SO's teenage son when he throws a hissy fit about Xbox live being slow that Plusnet is actually a decent provider and that there is more to take in to account than just the choice of ISP.

Faster services are now being offered at the exchange by Call Flow Solutions as part of the BDUK project

http://www.callflowsolutions.com/home-broadband/slu-...

Am I right in assuming that the SLU will still use the same link from the exchange out to the internet as the BT Wholesale ADSL products?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 04-Aug-14 21:20:20
Print Post

No not right. Likely callflow have some other backhaul option

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 04-Aug-14 22:16:25
Print Post

We've probably seen your router stats in the past, but any chance of you posting what they are now please?

Also, is the Xbox problem a new game, that Plusnet may not be recognising as such?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User sjr
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Aug-14 23:15:09
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

This is at the SO's place not mine so I don't have access to them right now but off the top of my head the stats are fine. He's more often than not playing FIFA 14 so I'm sure Plusnet know all about that one!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 04-Aug-14 23:23:35
Print Post

He's almost certainly running wirelessly. Have you looked how that is performing?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User sjr
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Aug-14 23:27:55
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

No, he's got an ethernet cable running off a homeplug. Pings and speedtests are the same as when connected by ethernet to the router.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to