General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Terryphi
(regular) Wed 17-Dec-14 11:29:08
Print Post

Effect on ADSL when exchange is fibre enabled

[link to this post]

Here is a question that you may have experience of or views on. When an exchange is fibre enabled is there any noticeable effect on performance for ADSL users? I am assuming that heavy downloaders are early adopters of fibre and their move to fibre might reduce the strain on the ADSL network.

IDNet Home Max
Running on Linux Mint 17
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 17-Dec-14 11:31:36
Print Post

Re: Effect on ADSL when exchange is fibre enabled

[re: Terryphi] [link to this post]

ADSL network ends at the exchange, I therefore presume you are asking will the already existing fibre backhaul networks cope?

Generally providers have scaled the backhaul networks accordingly, because they want people upgrading to the faster services to get the better speeds, and some people have seen improved performance even if remaining on ADSL based services, since the exchange has better backhaul after the fibre upgrades.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Terryphi
(regular) Wed 17-Dec-14 11:41:08
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I was thinking about contention, if that is still an issue on ADSL. Maybe at ISP level? Or are you suggesting that any "excess" capacity on ADSL would be scaled down so users would see no improvement?

IDNet Home Max
Running on Linux Mint 17

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 17-Dec-14 11:45:12
Print Post

Congestion at ISP level is a variable feast and can be an issue in some locations and others not see it for years.

Those with ADSL IPStream Max that also see the exchange upgraded to WBC ADSL2+ as fibre is rolled out will see a distinct improvement in contention in the backhaul. Even if an exchange does see WBC ADSL2+ because the heavy users may now be backhauled via fibre to a larger exchange this leaves more capacity for those not bothering to upgrade on the IPStream Max system.

Those already on ADSL2+ based services such as WBC or LLU generally notice notice no difference.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Terryphi
(regular) Wed 17-Dec-14 11:50:03
Print Post

What about rural exchanges such as mine still on ADSL Max?

IDNet Home Max
Running on Linux Mint 17
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Dec-14 11:56:12
Print Post

Do you see contention at the moment (lower results from speed tests during peak periods)?

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001 - not sure for how much longer
Standard User Terryphi
(regular) Wed 17-Dec-14 12:04:04
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

It was very noticeable during the World Cup! My street was full of BT engineers visiting complaining customers. Normally I use the internet at off peak times: very early mornings and during the day. I rarely use it in the evening which seems to be peak time. So to answer your question with my usage I do not normally see much contention.

IDNet Home Max
Running on Linux Mint 17
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 17-Dec-14 12:29:43
Print Post

Should have been visible that it was backhaul contention and sending engineers to visit peoples homes for that is a total waste of time and resources.

As for question, all depends on whether the exchange sees an upgrade to WBC ADSL2+ at the same time.

If people stay on IPStream Max they are not going to see a slow down, but who would choose to remain on an up to 8 Mbps service is something several times faster was available?

Standard User Terryphi
(regular) Wed 17-Dec-14 13:37:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If people stay on IPStream Max they are not going to see a slow down, but who would choose to remain on an up to 8 Mbps service is something several times faster was available?

Probably the 70% of internet users who are not interested in streaming TV quality video and find ADSL good enough for their browsing/email needs. I doubt they will be queuing up to pay more for something for which they have no immediate need. It will be a hard sell for BT and ISPs.

IDNet Home Max
Running on Linux Mint 17
Standard User TheEulerID
(regular) Wed 17-Dec-14 13:45:03
Print Post

It may have been a coincidence, but when the cabinet on my parents line was enabled for FTTC, there was a significant loss of downstream sync speed (about 2-3mbps) and a period of line instability. The SNR noise margin has been increased markedly too (which will be the reason the sync speed went down). I know that the PSDs for ADSL2+ and VDSL have been designed to work together, but I do wonder if, despite this, there isn't some increase in X-talk after the cabinet as the VDSL signals will be relatively strong.

I think I saw something a little similar (but nothing like as severe) on my ADSL line when my cabinet was enabled.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to