General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Zaichik
(newbie) Thu 26-Feb-15 16:52:06
Print Post

Poor ADSL speed

[link to this post]

I have recently moved house and have gone from a 152Mbps Virgin connection to a BT one which rarely gets above 2.5Mbps. I knew this was going to be an issue when I moved but the BT Fibre upgrade site suggested that a fibre upgrade was imminent. I have since discovered that, although the local authority project are upgrading the local exchange, they are not upgrading our cabinet so, despite the fact that all the villages around us have both Infinity and Virgin, and the main Virgin cable actually runs through our village to connect to the two either side, there is no prospect of us getting fibre broadband any time soon.

When I first moved, BT's speed checker suggested that I should be getting an average of 3.5 Mbps. My connection has never achieved that heady height.

Quite by chance, I was on the BT site earlier this week and just for a laugh, I put my phone number in the speed checker again. To my surprise, it was showing that my line was capable of getting 17Mbps. I contacted BT to ask why I wasn't getting anything like that and they checked and found that my line was still set to ADSL and that I could be upgraded to ADSL 2+. This upgrade was done yesterday but other than a slight increase in upload speed (to 0.7 Mbps), it has not made any difference so far.

Is there any likelihood that I will see any real improvement to my download speed, or has this all been a waste of time? I am located 2.7km from the exchange as the crow flies.

As I am on HH4, I cannot produce any detailed line stats.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 26-Feb-15 17:50:36
Print Post

Re: Poor ADSL speed

[re: Zaichik] [link to this post]

The 17 Mbps you saw was probably the headline speed of product rather than your actual estimate.

What does https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html say for your line - copy/paste the full result and just remove your personal details.

The checkers are really just connection speed estimates and not any form of guarantee, alas once marketing people have washed the technical information away you end up with words that make people think it is talking of the sort of phrases you mentioned.

If your broadband is connecting at 3 Mbps the suggestion is you are around 5km or more from the exchange in terms of line length.

Have you tested your speeds from the test socket, which will disable all the other telephone sockets in the home and can improve the speeds.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zaichik
(newbie) Thu 26-Feb-15 19:28:59
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The Wholesale checker says the following:

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 17 -- 10 to 19.5 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 17 Up to 1.5 10 to 19.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 7.5 -- 6.5 to 8 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available

I've just run speedtests again on Speedtest.net and on this site and while my upload speed continues to climb (now on 1.5Mbps), the download speed is stubbornly not increasing. The connection was wildly unstable too.

I've just been reading the thread in the not-spot forum about Fastershire. I live a short distance from the area that is the subject of that thread. Our area is considered to be an area to be upgraded by Fastershire, but our cabinet is not in their current plans because of the low number of houses connected to it. They've instead spent money connecting areas like where I used to live which already have Virgin, presumably to improve their % of households figure.

The most frustrating thing is that Virgin dug up the main road through our village to lay the cable that connects the 2 villages on either side but neglected to put any connections in to enable our houses to be connected. They say they would have to dig up the whole road again to rectify this which they're not prepared to do.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 26-Feb-15 20:21:34
Print Post

what's the HH4 sync speed ? Does this link help ?

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and do the "Further Diagnostics" with phone number and you'll get data like

Download speed achieved during the test was - 10.12 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 10.19 Mbps

I'm 2.5km from the exchange by wire route.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User Zaichik
(newbie) Fri 27-Feb-15 10:40:35
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

The sync speed is shown as 960 / 2589.

The Wholesale speed checker gives worse results than Speedtest.net

Download: 1.84
Upload: 0.78
Ping: 47

The diagnostics page shows:

Download speed achieved during the test was - 1.84 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-4 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 2.28 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.76Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

Pretty dismal stuff!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 27-Feb-15 11:35:30
Print Post

Without the stats from the modem hard to say much more

Can you do a test at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest and post the results link, not just the numbers as the shape of the graph during a test is important, hence why we show them.

Are the sync speeds on the end of an extension, or using the test socket?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zaichik
(newbie) Tue 31-Mar-15 16:02:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

After BT completed tests on my line, they sent out an Openreach engineer today and he tested the line out in the street and said we should be getting 5 - 6 Mbps, instead of the 0.5 - 2 we get currently. He looked at our master socket and realised that it was star-wired - i.e. the two strands of the incoming line cable have been split between the master socket upstairs and the extension socket downstairs, rather than both being connected to the master socket and the extension run off from there. He thinks this is the cause of our speed woes.

The main wire enters our house in the attic but, because the previous occupants started a conversion up there, the wiring is all hidden, either under the floor or behind the plasterboard walls.

We are thinking the easiest solution to this - rather than dismantling the attic conversion, which we want to finish, to find the point where the line has been split - is to disconnect the line where it currently enters the house from outside, reroute it and put in a new master socket elsewhere.

Does this sound like a solution or is there something else we could try?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 31-Mar-15 16:24:28
Print Post

Not something you yourself can try. Needs a BT eng as all before the current master socket is theirs.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User 961a
(learned) Tue 31-Mar-15 16:36:11
Print Post

See how much to get BT to wire a new master socket near your router and ditch the rest of the internal wiring
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Thu 02-Apr-15 01:01:22
Print Post

My house was star wired with the line entering the attic. When a fault developed on one of the legs I got BT to site the master socket in the attic. My router lives next to it connected via a filtered faceplate. This keeps in house interference to a minumum.

Michael Chare
  Print Thread

Jump to