General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ncf355
(regular) Tue 31-Mar-15 11:46:05
Print Post

Speed at Hound Green, Hook, Hampshire

[link to this post]

Hi all

It's been some time since I posted here but experiencing an issue with the broadband connection where I lodge for work

I rent an annexe, sharing a ADSL connection with the landlord.

Following my advice they have just changed from BT to Plusnet (this was more to do with them obtaining a better deal as they have been with BT for several years)

So they went with Plusnet and obtained a good deal on monthly pricing, plus a cashback from one of the cashback sites

However, my hope that the speed may improve (albeit slight) was obviously optimistic as download is worse and upload hasn't changed

Download = 0.6mb

Upload = (barely) 0.1mb

So they are connected to an exchange approx 1mile away (I appreciate that due to how the cabling is laid this may be meant meaningless)

The BT wholesale estimate is 2-4mb for this property, so even allowing for that sites usual optimism, the speeds they obtain seem very low and I think a hardware/line issue seems likely

I would however welcome advice from those on here much more knowledgeable than myself

So, what is the best way of supplying meaningful data to you all that you can analyse?

Thanks for your time

Matt
West UK

Live TBB BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 31-Mar-15 14:13:09
Print Post

Re: Speed at Hound Green, Hook, Hampshire

[re: ncf355] [link to this post]

The key to the tale is what are the ADSL stats, connection speed, attenuation and noise margin and what does http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/calc make of those figures, i.e. below or above expected

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 31-Mar-15 16:38:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by ncf355:
The BT wholesale estimate is 2-4mb for this property, so even allowing for that sites usual optimism
It's more usually pessimistic.

As said, router stats are the key.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ncf355
(regular) Tue 31-Mar-15 17:18:01
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Hi

Well,

Data rate = 448 / 1312

Attenuation = 23.0 / 40.5

Noise Margin = 21.0 / 16.3

The calculator linked above implies Red/Bad for these results, suggesting speed should be around 4mb (assuming I've entered the stats correctly!)

Comments welcomed

smile

Matt
West UK

Live TBB BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 31-Mar-15 19:14:09
Print Post

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/calc/index.php?param=RG...

Seems to have a high target noise margin that is costing you some speed, but even at 15 dB margin I would have expected slightly higher speeds. The implication is that there is a noise issue with the wiring inside the property.

Time to find the master socket and try in the test socket i.e. as per http://www.thinkbroadband.com/faq/sections/radsl.htm... and if the stats are better using the test socket, then lift the ring wire off of the faceplate to disconnect it.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ncf355
(regular) Tue 31-Mar-15 19:53:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew

I likely wont get chance until after Easter now, but will follow your recommendations and get back to you all with the results

Matt
West UK

Live TBB BQM
  Print Thread

Jump to