General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User j314
(newbie) Wed 21-Oct-15 00:25:58
Print Post

Ten-day training period, when does it start from?

[link to this post]

I'm moving home and I've ordered BT ADSL. The activation date is three days before I move in.

Problem is, I've read that extensive performance/stability tests tests are performed during the first 10 days. Is this measured from the activation date, or from when a modem is first connected? Is the system going to be confused when there's still no response from the line after 3 days?

I can still postpone the activation date- would this be a good idea?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 21-Oct-15 01:08:07
Print Post

Re: Ten-day training period, when does it start from?

[re: j314] [link to this post]

It starts from the first time you connect, but no tests like you describe take place. The DLM runs all the time and makes speed adjustments downwards as necessary to obtain a stable line. All that's special about the ten days is that at the end the lowest sync is recorded and another figure is calculated from it.

See this page and a similar one. Don't worry that one of us says 70% and the other says 80%. It was originally 70 but apparently changed at some point.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User j314
(newbie) Wed 21-Oct-15 09:48:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
It starts from the first time you connect, but no tests like you describe take place.
Okay thanks for that, so I suppose it's okay if it isn't connected for a few days after activation.
In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The DLM runs all the time and makes speed adjustments downwards as necessary to obtain a stable line.
So once it adjusts downwards, it won't adjust upwards again even if conditions improve (i.e. I fit a filtered faceplate or somesuch)?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 21-Oct-15 10:18:41
Print Post

The DLM can adjust upwards if the conditions do improve, just might take a week or two for it to decide to relent and hand back some connection speed.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 21-Oct-15 10:49:24
Print Post

so I suppose it's okay if it isn't connected for a few days after activation.

Yep, completely fine.
So once it adjusts downwards, it won't adjust upwards again even if conditions improve (i.e. I fit a filtered faceplate or some such)?

It will adjust upwards after time, it's just that whilst it is fairly quick to slow down/attempt to stabilise, it takes a lot longer to speed back up once the cause of the problem is resolved.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 21-Oct-15 15:50:18
Print Post

As the others have said, it can adjust up (or down) in the future depending on variations in the condition of the line.

I should have made that clear perhaps, but what I was mainly getting at was that the 10-day period isn't a time when "special" intensive testing and auto-adjustment takes place.

The DLM starts making adjustments right at the beginning and does so for ever. All the 10-day period does is record the lowest connection speed in that period for reference in the future to see if a decline in speed is greater than normally accepted so could merit further investigation. As explained in the linked pages.

Whatever you do, don't do several reconnections in a short period of time such as an hour. A few, well inside daylight hours, are permissible without causing harm if you want to move stuff around or see if you get a higher speed. Connection outside that time zone often give s lowish sync and you don't want to do that in the period.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 21-Oct-15 15:53:54)

Print Thread

Jump to