General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User UKconfederate
(newbie) Tue 03-Nov-15 17:18:49
Print Post

How to know if Exchange is being upgraded from ADSL to ADSL2

[link to this post]

Is there any way of finding out if BT are going to upgrade my local exchange (Billingborough) from ADSL to ADSL2.

The reason for me asking is that the neighbouring local village exchange at Folkingham has recently been upgraded to ADSL2. Both these exchanges have recently had VDSL cabs installed and enabled and Folkingham is a tiny exchange compared to Billingborough (going from samknows stats).

So, is there anyway of being able to find this information out, do BT still announce a list of upcoming exchanges or is it a case of simply wait and see?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 03-Nov-15 17:37:46
Print Post

Re: How to know if Exchange is being upgraded from ADSL to A

[re: UKconfederate] [link to this post]

I forget if you have posted your ADSL speeds. In lots of cases ADSL2+ doesn't improve them significantly.

In relation to FTTC, that doesn't require the phone exchange to have ADSL2+, as the fibre frequently comes from a "head-end" exchange and meets up with the phone circuit at the FTTC cabinet. There are several ADSL-only exchanges that "have" FTTC this way.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
(newbie) Wed 04-Nov-15 08:34:41
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

No, I haven't posted my ADSL speeds before, my line usually syncs between 7500 Kbps and 8000 Kbps and I usually have a download speed of around 5.5 to 6.1 (time of day dependent), which I appreciate is excellent for ADSL.

The phone cab I am connected to was enable for fibre about a week ago but the initial estimates are only around 16 Mbps (could be as low as 7 Mbps), considering the premium 'fibre' commands, I'm unsure it's going to be worth the additional cost.

This is basically the reason why I'm asking if my exchange could be upgraded to ADSL, using my current line stats, I would probably get around 14 Mbps ADSL2 for the same price I'm paying now.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 04-Nov-15 09:45:26
Print Post

If your cabinet has been enabled for FTTC but the exchange is still not WBC enabled, (WBC is what as knows shows for BT Wholesale ADSL2+), then it's quite likely WBC will not be added to the exchange. As per my previous post.

As FTTC requires WBC, the fibre for your cabinet must be coming from a different exchange.

Given your high sync on ADSL, ADSL2+ would give a decent increase. Do you have your attenuation, exact sync (probably 7616 or 8128), plus the noise margin/SNRM immediately after a re-sync? If so, feed those into this calculator.

If you tell us that result, and can also find your cabinet and try to estimate your copper distance from the FTTC one near it, passing through the phone cab, then we should be able to give you a closer FTTC estimate than the one you are being told.

Edit - Just realised you gave an ADSL2 estimate. I assume you meant ADSL2+, which is what is normally supplied in this country. The two are not the same. Where did you get that estimate from please?

The chances of your FTTC being below that are negligible.

Edit 2: Re MrSaffron's very valid post, this is why I'm asking you for all this extra detail, to confirm my opinion about the estimate.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 04-Nov-15 10:10:31)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 04-Nov-15 10:02:29
Print Post

"The chances of your FTTC being below that are negligible."

Without knowing the persons exact location and full router stats it is a long shot to say that. I used to manage 5 Mbps from ADSL at 3.5k, so if a good line for ADSL/ADSL2+ frequencies entirely feasible ADSL/ADSL2+ may out perform VDSL2 depending on cabinet location and power mask used.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 04-Nov-15 10:08:21
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I'm going from his current apparent maximum sync on ADSL, plus an ADSL2, probably ADSL2+, estimate of 14Mbps. I've also asked for more detail about that, and the distance from the cabinet.

I haven't checked the graphs, using iPad and not bookmarked, but IIRC at 14Mbps or so ADSL2+ isn't FTTC a bit better?

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 04-Nov-15 10:20:00
Print Post

There are some people we have seen right on the bubble where the only benefit of FTTC at 14 Mbps versus ADSL2+ at 14 Mbps was better upload...though even with the best estimates only once you go live and the behaviour of the line to VDSL2 frequencies is shown by the modem does anyone have good data.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Wed 04-Nov-15 10:47:05
Print Post

First off, when I said ADSL2 I did actually mean ADSL2+ (basically the one BT have been rolling out across the country). Sorry for any confusion there.

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
If your cabinet has been enabled for FTTC but the exchange is still not WBC enabled, (WBC is what as knows shows for BT Wholesale ADSL2+), then it's quite likely WBC will not be added to the exchange. As per my previous post.

I appreciate what you're saying and yes, it is highly unlikely but the neighbouring exchange, Folkingham has been having it's cabinets upgraded to fibre since July and yet they have now upgraded this exchange to ADSL2+ in the past few weeks (probably beginning of October). So it occasionally does happen (I'm not saying this is the norm though). This is the main reason for me asking if there is a list out there to see if it's potentially next for an upgrade.

As FTTC requires WBC, the fibre for your cabinet must be coming from a different exchange.

Yes, this is correct, it is being fed back to the local town of Sleaford (the OnLinoclnshire partnership confirmed this). Even the Folkingham exchange is done this way as the fibre core links back through Folkingham. The main core network is fed from Sleaford via Ancaster, Culverthorpe, Folkingham and then finally to Billingborough. (sorry to go over the top with a description).

Given your high sync on ADSL, ADSL2+ would give a decent increase. Do you have your attenuation, exact sync (probably 7616 or 8128), plus the noise margin/SNRM immediately after a re-sync? If so, feed those into this calculator.

If you tell us that result, and can also find your cabinet and try to estimate your copper distance from the FTTC one near it, passing through the phone cab, then we should be able to give you a closer FTTC estimate than the one you are being told.

I'm currently at work so will look at the stats when I'm at home sometime after midday. I do know I was syncing at 7616 at the weekend when I last checked and back in the summer I connected at 8128 (dry conditions)

Following the BT & GPO cover lids along the footpath, I'm exactly 1 mile from my local cabinet (No. 1) but the telegraph pole connected my house is further up the road away from the cabinet, so I would estimate approx. 1800metres line to cabinet.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 04-Nov-15 11:52:03
Print Post

Right smile. See the graph on this page.

What we now need are the full line stats, immediately after a re-sync. At least the sync/attenuation/noise margin, preferably in both directions. Any other stats you can get are also worth posting.

Those will help us assess how clean or noisy the line is. Though if it's noisy we won't know which side of the cabinet. Noisy your side is bad, noisy the exchange side is usually removed on FTTC.

(learned) Wed 04-Nov-15 12:33:12
Print Post

Just completed a re-sync.

Here are the stats from my router:-

Downstream:
Link Rate: 7872 Kbps
Line Attenuation: 31.5 dB
Noise Margin: 6.1 dB

Upstream
Link Rate: 448 Kbps
Line Attenuation: 21.0 dB
Noise Margin: 24.0 dB

I'm about 1.5 miles from the exchange (approx line length).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to