General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User michaeleaton
(member) Sat 06-Feb-16 09:13:05
Print Post

Advice and knowledge

[link to this post]

Hi Everyone,

I've lived on the Isle of Man for the last few years and due to move back in the next few months.

Upon checking the Superfast OpenReach website, it shows that my house number/postcode combination is current in the "Connect" stage.. connecting cables/power etc, and that this process takes around 4 months.

When I check the BT xDSL checker it shows 30th September 2016 as the activation date, which is obviously more than 4 months, is there any other tool I can use to give me an idea of speeds that are likely to be available?

The xDSL speeds according to the DSL Checker are abysmal, also what is the difference between Downstream line rate and Downstream range?

Screenshot of xDSL checker:

http://imgur.com/brBdply

Thanks,

Michael

-----------------
Michael Eaton
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 06-Feb-16 09:33:11
Print Post

Re: Advice and knowledge

[re: michaeleaton] [link to this post]

The range is the connection speed likely to be achieved at that address, based on distance from the cabinet in the case of FTTC and distance from the exchange in the case of other variable speed services. In both cases the condition of the lines and the presence of external electromagnetic noise on the route also apply.

Generally once a cabinet has been operational for a while the range should narrow, but that doesn't help at this stage.

Re the 30 September date, that is a quarter end date and those have always been placeholders rather than firm estimates. It basically just means it is scheduled for the quarter ending then, but could easily slip. Usually only in the last few days, when a bulk update is done to all such.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59504/15641kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 06-Feb-16 10:33:56
Print Post

If you have the choice and good speed is essential, I suggest you look at somewhere else rather than relying on a promise.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(member) Sat 06-Feb-16 10:41:41
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks for your reploes, BatBoy Cable (VirginMedia) isn't available frown - do I have other options? I'm going to be working from home so reliable and decent speed is essential.

Thanks,

Michael

-----------------
Michael Eaton
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 06-Feb-16 10:54:17
Print Post

I meant a different home.

Edited by BatBoy (Sat 06-Feb-16 10:54:35)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 06-Feb-16 12:51:26
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I work from home with 15 down and 4 up on VDSL2, which is fine but would I buy a property or move to one with the range of the original poster and the answer is no. Why?

1. The range figures are not guaranteed, and if towards the 6 Mbps end that's too slow.
2. The estimated date is just that and subject to revision.

What are 3G/4G speeds in the area, if higher than the ADSL2+/VDSL2 estimates keeping a mobile router for fast stuff you must have now and the landline for the GigaByte sized stuff that you are happy to wait for and keep precious mobile allowance for the important stuff.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(member) Sat 06-Feb-16 20:29:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies, unfortunately changing the home isn't an option. Guess we'll have to wait and see, if it's a solid 5Mbps then that'll do for now.

Thanks,

Michael

-----------------
Michael Eaton
  Print Thread

Jump to