General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Chippy_boy
(regular) Tue 03-May-16 15:56:39
Print Post

Infinity speed question

[link to this post]

I wonder if someone could help answer this please?

I am current on BT Infinity Option 2 and paying a considerable sum for a service that's supposed to be "up to" 76 MBit/s. On initial connection a couple of years back, I was getting 74 Mbit which I thought was pretty good - I am about 100m from the cabinet.

But it's steadily and progressively dropped - I guess through increasing crosstalk - and I am seeing speeds of typically 56 Mbit

The new BT Infinity Option 1 now offers 52 Mbit and I am wondering why I am paying quite a bit extra for a service that is barely any faster.

Given that my line clearly will go faster than 52 Mbit, can I assume I will get 52Mbit on Infinity1? Or does it not work like that? Will I only get a fraction of the 52MBit and end up with perhaps 56/76 x 52 = 38Mbit

If I can get 52 MBit (actual) for quite a bit less money, I am temped to swap.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-May-16 16:21:37
Print Post

Re: Infinity speed question

[re: Chippy_boy] [link to this post]

It is capped rather than pro rata. So, if you get more than 52Mb on Infinity 2 then you will be capped at 52Mb on Infinity 1 (minus a bit for overheads). So, sync will be 52Mb and speed tests a bit less.

Are you sure your sync has actually been reducing? What are your current actual line stats?
Standard User Chippy_boy
(regular) Tue 03-May-16 17:16:45
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Thanks for the explanation - I appreciate it. I've had a complete brain failure, and forgotten that my speeds having dropped down to around 56mb for several months have picked up a bit, now at low 60's. Still nothing like the 74mb I was getting for the 1st year or so though.

And yes, it's the sync speed that's been dropping off. Sorry but I don't have the stats to hand (and don't use a BT HH). I asked some questions about it maybe a year ago and was told it's due to increasing crosstalk as the cabinet fills up. Don't know if that makes sense?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 03-May-16 17:51:26
Print Post

Increasing cross talk is the likely explanation, particularly if the service is popular in the area.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-May-16 02:02:33
Print Post

Infinity 1 is now up to 55 Meg sync speed. The "52 Meg" is just the ASA advertising guideline. So if your 56 Meg quoted is your sync speed you will just lose an insignificant amount.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Tue 10-May-16 02:07:09
Print Post

Infinity 1 syncs at 55000kbps, this shuld give speedtest results around 51-52mb mark... however you will lose upstream speed, I ssume you would get close to if not 20000kbps right now but Infinity 1 will reduce that to 9999kbps or around 8-9mbps.

BTInfinity - 69000/20000kbps Formerly 116000/31000 - Quality Monitor - Quality Monitor 2
VirginMedia - 77000/5250kbps - BQM L1 - BQM L2
Standard User epyon
(experienced) Thu 19-May-16 20:45:21
Print Post

100m sure

but cable length is probably 300+ ? or you line is aluminium.

I'm on copper and am according to the engineer 250m from the cab which is full and i still get max sync.

How do i know this? i tried to order a 2nd FTTC service and was told the cab is full (maybe thats not accurate though)

Maybe some internal wiring also you could check out?

BT Infinity 2 - 80/20
BT Infinity 2 Speedtest *Huawei HG635*
BT Mobile - 4G
BT Mobile 4G Speedtest *Huawei PLK-L01*
Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Thu 19-May-16 22:28:21
Print Post

If your line is indeed 100m then your speed would seem low, even with crosstalk. You sure you haven't got star wiring of anything like that in the house?
Standard User michaelkenward
(regular) Fri 20-May-16 10:00:14
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by epyon:
How do i know this? i tried to order a 2nd FTTC service and was told the cab is full (maybe thats not accurate though)

I'd go with the bit in brackets.

I recently had two lines converted to VDSL in the new cab up the road. This happened after BT told my neighbour that the thing is full.

I suspect that this is a blanket excuse when they can't get something to work.

He has been grappling with BT for more than a month. Since then, I have applied for and got two ports in the same box.

They also told him that they could not turn on in his service because he asked for the fast, Infinity 1, option. And it is n ot possible to make the change "by remote control". He had to have a home visit. This is, of course, complete tosh. They managed to turn on my Infinity 1 line without coming anywhere near the premises.

In other words, BT can dissemble for Britain.

Print Thread

Jump to