General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User B31
(member) Tue 19-Jul-16 17:58:19
Print Post

ADSL Intermittent issues

[link to this post]

I acquired a 2wire 2700-HGV, as detailed here Forum topic

With that, and the installation of Router Stats Lite, I noticed I had a strange fault - my ADSL disconnects when the phone line rings.

I tried all the obvious things (new filters, different routers, unplugging the phone) but the fault was persistent - so I reported it to BT.

I was having other problems prior to this, including

- random slow downs and random high pings at times
- VPN connections pausing for a minute or so, every few minutes
- web browser not loading pages, at random times, even with refreshes
- whatsapp images failing to download unless I switch to 4G - including small images like 64KB.
- phone calls to the landline being answered and disconnected when it hasn't actually been answered - something happening on the network that makes the other party think the line has answered

Anyway, recently, openreach did some work to my line, d-side and e-side, which removed almost 2 Kilometers of cabling, which has increased my speed from around 1.6-1.9 Mbps to around 4.9 - 5.2 Mbps

The fault with the ADSL dropping, when the phone rings, does appear to still be present - although it does not happen all of the time now (I guess the reduced line length / better SNR might have helped).

The other faults are still present, but again, maybe less frequent.

I'm waiting for a multi skilled engineer or boost engineer to visit (one was due yesterday, but they cancelled the appointment).

In the meantime I've been offered a Home Hub 4 to try - not sure how that will compare to the BT HH3B or the 2700HGV.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be grateful for your opinions.

I've asked BT if they can check the filters at the exchange, perhaps a port swap/card swap at the Exchange and perhaps check the CMRR.

They can't do this until the date of the rescheduled appointment though. I was hoping they could do that in the background, rather than take another day off work.

NB. There's stats in the 3rd page of the topic listed above.

And I'm connected to a CAB, not EO, but no FTTC planned.

BT ADSL customer getting 4.9 Mbps (0.8 Mbps up) on a new road / new build development
(It was around 1.6 to 1.9 Mbps when I moved in)
CAB not FTTC enabled, not part of the 66% commercial plan. Not a BDUK area. Hoping the council will let VM in-fill.

Edited by B31 (Tue 19-Jul-16 17:59:43)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 19-Jul-16 21:18:03
Print Post

Re: ADSL Intermittent issues

[re: B31] [link to this post]

Not sure what CMRR means ? And if I don't, it is fairly likely the visiting engineer won't either.

Hopefully you WON'T get a'multi-skilled engineer', they will test the line as OK, and do nothing else. If there was a 'hard fault' that a UG bod would look into it would have been picked up already. (well hopefully)

You want the BOOST visit. Tell them that you have already had the E and D side swapped out.
- random slow downs and random high pings at times
- VPN connections pausing for a minute or so, every few minutes
- web browser not loading pages, at random times, even with refreshes
- whatsapp images failing to download unless I switch to 4G - including small images like 64KB.

.... Is not worth bothering the engineer with, it's not something they can replicate with their test kit, and is just muddying already cloudy waters.
- phone calls to the landline being answered and disconnected when it hasn't actually been answered - something happening on the network that makes the other party think the line has answered

IS worth a mention ... better still if you can show them it happening.

Not only would I hope that they can organise a lift and shift (they have to persuade the DCoE staff it needs doing .... but also get the LIC* swapped out as well ... This sounds like a weird intermittent fault I attended way back when, that was resolved by a LIC swap when all else failed.

*LIC the PSTN 'port' in the exchange, Btw equipment.

Standard User B31
(member) Tue 19-Jul-16 22:36:24
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Ta

So, is lift and shift for the broadband side and LIC swap for the phone part?

CMRR is common mode rejection ratio, or longitudinal line balance. Something I found on my random googling for similar issues. Apparently it is supposed to run at 50-55 dB.

I think it might be a boost engineer coming, although BT have used different names at different times. The most recent call, they did say boost engineer.

BT ADSL customer getting 4.9 Mbps (0.8 Mbps up) on a new road / new build development
CAB not FTTC enabled, not part of the 66% commercial plan. Not a BDUK area. Hoping the council will let VM in-fill.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Jul-16 18:45:52
Print Post

So, is lift and shift for the broadband side and LIC swap for the phone part?

You got it. smile
CMRR is common mode rejection ratio, or longitudinal line balance. Something I found on my random googling for similar issues. Apparently it is supposed to run at 50-55 dB.

AHA ! That sounds like what Openreach refer to as A/C balance, the ability of a pair to reject external noise.

If so, 55db a bare minimum, 60 or above is better ... well on the pair quality test.

Standard User B31
(member) Sat 30-Jul-16 11:34:30
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

A boost engineer, and his colleague, are working on my line today.

His test device also saw the ADSL drop when he phoned the line.

The CMRR is good, around 70 dB.

The fault has been confirmed as D side. They can see it from the CAB and from the outside connection.

Going to be a complicated job I think. Already found two wet joints. Now trying to find the fault or possibly swap the pairs for the suspect part of the route, if there are any good free pairs in that bit.

Standard User B31
(member) Mon 01-Aug-16 19:42:00
Print Post

Despite the recent work, the fault is still present.

I phoned my line a few times yesterday, the broadband stayed up.

Tried it once this evening and the ADSL dropped out.

It is raining tonight, and they did suspect water in the cable (that they swapped me from), so perhaps it is still water related.

Standard User B31
(member) Thu 04-Aug-16 19:43:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by B31:
Despite the recent work, the fault is still present.

I phoned my line a few times yesterday, the broadband stayed up.

Tried it once this evening and the ADSL dropped out.

It is raining tonight, and they did suspect water in the cable (that they swapped me from), so perhaps it is still water related.

Now expecting an SFI visit

Standard User B31
(member) Tue 24-Jan-17 21:44:05
Print Post

Just to bring this to a close - things are better after the line re-working and BT increasing the interleaving.

As per this post : http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/notspot/t/4526386-2...

BT ADSL customer getting 4.2 Mbps (0.7 Mbps up) on a new road / new build development
(Was circa 1.6 Mbps for the first 4 years)
Standard User B31
(member) Fri 24-Feb-17 19:00:28
Print Post

Spoke too soon.

Had a phone call from "British Telecom" today. A scam. But my broadband dropped during the call.

Also speed dropped to 1Mbps, presumably weather related.

BT ADSL customer getting 4.2 Mbps (0.7 Mbps up) on a new road / new build development
(Was circa 1.6 Mbps for the first 4 years)
Standard User michaelkenward
(regular) Sat 25-Feb-17 09:48:00
Print Post

My speed dropped to zero yesterday.

Power cut. Only a day after the storm, but we live in an area where power cuts are a way of life.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to