General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User lightbody
(newbie) Wed 07-Sep-16 15:34:56
Print Post

No BT Fibre if there's already Virgin Media?

[link to this post]

Hi. I recently moved house. My old house was in Glasgow City Centre, and benefited from BT Fibre - I had a real 73mb down, and I think it was 40mb up.

I work on websites in my spare time, and that up-speed was important to me - also when I upload photos.

So then I moved to a suburb which is awash with Virgin Media, I had no choice but to arrange 50mb internet with them. What doesn't seem to be possible with Virgin, is decent upload speeds - and there's not much sign of them planning on improving this.

I feel trapped - because there's no BT Fibre in the area - presumably because there's no demand because everybody's "cabled up"?

Is this a familiar story? It doesn't seem to be a very competitive market...
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 07-Sep-16 16:38:12
Print Post

Re: No BT Fibre if there's already Virgin Media?

[re: lightbody] [link to this post]

Couldn't you get a faster option with them? See this report from May, and this site a week and a half ago.

Your upstream previously would have been a sync of probably 19999kbps and actual throughput a bit less.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 07-Sep-16 16:41:51)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 07-Sep-16 18:23:56
Print Post

Presence of Virgin Media means that its a commercial choice of whether Openreach go to an area or not, with the work in the rural areas Openreach is busy doing lots of stuff there rather than its pure commercial roll-out.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 07-Sep-16 18:54:47
Print Post

UK coverage:
- 9% of the UK has the choice of VM alone (commercial)
- 36% of the UK has the choice of either BT or VM (both commercial)
- 31% of the UK has the choice of BT alone (commercial)
- 15% of the UK has the choice of BT alone (subsidised by BDUK)
- 5% of the UK are expected to have a BT service, as subsidised work goes further

You are in the 9%

Right now, most of BT's ongoing work is to put more subsidised infrastructure in place ... which means it can only overlay VM coverage in an "incidental" way. Most of VM's expansion work is going to be close to existing coverage ... and seems likely to be in areas where BT have already covered.

So that means you're not very likely to get covered by BT in the near future.
Standard User lightbody
(newbie) Wed 07-Sep-16 22:32:18
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies- fascinating!

VM seems more expensive in general than BT and I chose the service that cost around the same. I could pay more for a bit faster upload, but it would be quite a lot more for just a bit faster.

I think the competition authorities should be looking at the number of homes which only have access to 1 high speed broadband option.

- Rob
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Sep-16 03:07:16
Print Post

I think the competition authorities should be looking at the number of homes which only have access to 1 high speed broadband option.
Why? The decision whether to provide a competing broadband service has to be a commercial decision. Are you suggesting that all bus routes must have at least two different operators or that you should have a choice as to which water supply or sewer you connect to. What's far more important is that there should be high speed broadband available, hence BDUK and the possibility of USO. Beyond that expansion has to be a commercial decision.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 08-Sep-16 07:39:40
Print Post

It's interesting that you are arguing that you should have access to at least 2 suppliers when a number of people are still fighting to get access to just one.

And to take your argument the other way then Virgin Media should be forced to roll out to the rest of the country to set up competition to BT.
Standard User alwall
(member) Thu 08-Sep-16 08:27:57
Print Post

Forcing VM to open its network to other suppliers would be a huge step forward

BTBroadband

Edited by alwall (Thu 08-Sep-16 08:28:24)

Standard User lightbody
(newbie) Thu 08-Sep-16 11:05:42
Print Post

[re: alwall] [link to this post]

I think it was just really clear, as part of my housemove, that this was the one commercial service that I had no choice over, and I didn't like that, especially as VM keep putting prices up...
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 08-Sep-16 11:31:05
Print Post

What's wrong with the 200/12Mbps VM service I linked to articles about? Isn't that available?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to