General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Snowstorm
(newbie) Thu 06-Oct-16 01:50:48
Print Post

Bt Infinity low upload speed

[link to this post]

I'm just wondering if anybody can help with a strange quirk which affects my FTTC connection.

I'm on BT Infinity 1 and have been since July 2016. My download speed is far higher than initially predicted, but the upload speed is half. I'm 650 meters away from the cabinet and consistently get 52mb down on speedtests. The actual upload speed though, is around 5.5mb.
I've tried a number of different routers (BT Hub 5 A and B, 6 and a TP link) and the upload is always around the same figure.

From the Bt Home Hub "B":
6. Data Rate: 6506 / 54839
7. Maximum Data Rate: 6506 / 64111
8. Noise Margin: 6.0 / 10.2
9. Line Attenuation: 20.2 / 19.7
10. Signal Attenuation: 0.0 / 0.0

The BT Wholesale Speedchecker says "Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10 Mbps"

I know it's not technically a fault as BT tell me upload speed isn't guaranteed, but I can't figure out why the line is great in one direction but not the other.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 06-Oct-16 09:09:03
Print Post

Re: Bt Infinity low upload speed

[re: Snowstorm] [link to this post]

I don't know the answer, I'm afraid, but posting just to say the upstream IP Profile is always the Openreach product upload maximum for the product you are on. So always 2, 10 or 20.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User 23Prince
(member) Thu 06-Oct-16 09:52:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by Snowstorm:
but I can't figure out why the line is great in one direction but not the other.

Is it safe to assume that you are referring to why your upload is 6 and not 10? (raising a fault may cause a reset?) and NOT why your connection is Asymmetrical ?

Edited by 23Prince (Thu 06-Oct-16 09:52:57)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 06-Oct-16 10:11:25
Print Post

Are the stats collected at the test socket? i.e. faceplate off and nothing plugged in at any other phone socket is working?

It may be that something is causing issues in a small set of frequencies just affecting the upload bands part of the signal, e.g. if you have HomePlugs try with them switched off and unplugged.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 06-Oct-16 10:41:30
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

On a ~55Mbps downstream I would expect upstream attainable about double what the OP has and certainly the full 9999kbps.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Snowstorm
(newbie) Thu 06-Oct-16 15:08:29
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Many thanks for your help.
I'm wired in to the test socket and still the same speed. I've switched everything (else) electrical off and sadly no difference. There are two things I'm suspicious about:

Firstly, when the line was put in last year the engineer ran about 2 feet of the dropwire paralel to next door's main power cable. It's about 1ft away. I wonder if there's something being picked up?

Secondly, prior to Infinity we had 9 months of Talktalk ADSL 2+ and constant line drops due to a high resistance fault. An engineer put us on a different pair which fixed the line drops, but the download speed dropped from 12mb to 4mb. Which is why we switched to FTTC.

Do either of these sound suspicious?
Standard User 23Prince
(member) Thu 06-Oct-16 15:56:41
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Fair enough. i was not sure if the OP was talking about that or not - but it seems not laugh
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 06-Oct-16 17:24:03
Print Post

All possible reasons, but just 2 feet of parallel to mains should be fine.

Alas with without a lot more investigation hard to pin a precise cause.

It may be that the High Resistance fault is back

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Snowstorm
(newbie) Thu 06-Oct-16 20:36:56
Print Post

It's a shame I can't get the engineer back who finally sorted the high resistance fault. He was a real "roll your sleeves up" type. He spent 4 hours testing every junction, swapped the line to the cabinet and wouldn't leave until it was the best it could be.
The first engineer just plugged in the line tester, said "it's passed" and left. He was writing up his report in the van and the line went dead. He said he'd done all he was allowed to do. It took another 6 weeks of Talktalk techincal support before an Openreach Broadband Engineer sorted it.

Does anybody know what the VDSL 2 upload frequencies are? I understand its a Huawei cabinet. If I can find out which bands they use I can try tuning in with a SW radio to see if there is any RF interefence.
Standard User Snowstorm
(newbie) Sat 08-Oct-16 18:28:51
Print Post

I think you might be right. I've just had a few disconnections and the upstream line attenuation has increased:

VDSL uptime: 0 days, 01:50:50
6. Data Rate: 6540 / 53772
7. Maximum Data Rate: 6540 / 62836
8. Noise Margin: 6.1 / 10.1
9. Line Attenuation: 38.8 / 19.7

It was 20 something the other day
  Print Thread

Jump to