General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gromit69
(committed) Thu 13-Oct-16 12:48:30
Print Post

Trying to find out what's happened to a line

[link to this post]

For once this isn't about my line - I've just moved into a new build house (on a new estate) and all is good for me.
However my neighbour is having no end of issues. They're 5 doors down from me and are unable to get a working phone line. They should be on the same cabinet and same exchange. However neither Sky or BT retail have been able to give them a working service, citing random reasons each time.
The last time I spoke to my neighbours they'd cancelled the order with Sky who were arguing with Openreach about whether an order had been fulfilled or not.
Now that the Sky order has been cancelled, they've gone with BT. The service was due to go live today, but the engineer has cancelled the visit saying that more work needs to be done.

Is there a way to find out what state the line is actually in, and to find out what needs to be done? Or is there a strategy to play with BT which will get them to push it through the right channels?

Also, is there a way to thrown a wireless signal 50m down the road? smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 13-Oct-16 13:36:40
Print Post

Re: Trying to find out what's happened to a line

[re: gromit69] [link to this post]

Homes are built in batches, so it may be you are in batch A and they are in batch B and something has not been done with regards to handing over the ducting to allow a phone line yet, or another issue.

Another possibility is problems with address databases not matching up. New builds are always more likely to have issues.

Wireless 50m, if you have clear line of sight then any of the outdoor wireless antenna/bridges should suffice and you may find of windows are not modern foil backed version that a router in a window is enough if clear line of sight.

Something like This £40 external bridge gets past the window problem or can be mounted in a position that has better line of sight. With just one its like a better wireless antenna - if you have two then you can form a dedicated bridge that should be better, i.e. good antenna at each end and.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gromit69
(committed) Thu 13-Oct-16 14:39:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew.
That's bridge is pretty perfect for what we need. Apparently my neighbours can get my routers signal from their garage, so that would work nicely.

The houses were built in the same batch, and we've all been in for about 3 months. I initially had issues with the address databases, but I think that's all sorted now. I'm hoping that if they just keep pushing BT it'll all get sorted, though Sky didn't seem to have much luck.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 13-Oct-16 20:05:18
Print Post

Is there underground cable visible o/s the property ?

Standard User gromit69
(committed) Sat 15-Oct-16 20:02:15
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Yeah, the line is physically installed at the property (and it's underground)
There was a dial tone briefly before it was realised it was someone elses number smile
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 15-Oct-16 20:07:45
Print Post

Weird then that there is a perceived problem....

Have you tried a PM to Ribble for more detail ? 😉

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 15-Oct-16 23:11:53
Print Post

Ribble doesn't accept PMs. Not surprising - there would be hundreds.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 16-Oct-16 08:16:59
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Fair enough really, and maybe something I should have guessed.

Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Sun 16-Oct-16 10:24:00
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

He was for a time this week as I sent him one.

No reply though laugh
Standard User gromit69
(committed) Thu 20-Oct-16 13:53:54
Print Post

This is what's confusing me - there's obviously *something* that needs doing somewhere. And the exchange is about 100m as the crow flies!

The situation is slightly muddied by Sky's previous order which has now been progressed to Ofcom, so there are different organisations having different reviews about the same issue.

Still no active phone line 4 months in though!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to