General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User huwwatkins
(committed) Tue 25-Oct-16 12:48:02
Print Post

ADSL Max Pro

[link to this post]

I'm moving from a house with FTTC out to a house that only has 20CN ADSL Max.

Does anyone know if any ISP still offers Max Pro with the higher upload and traffic priority?

Also - are exchanges still being upgraded to WBC/ADSL2+? The exchange only has 600 odd lines so I'm not hopeful.

Thanks

Edited by huwwatkins (Tue 25-Oct-16 12:50:39)

Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Tue 25-Oct-16 12:51:39
Print Post

Re: ADSL Max Pro

[re: huwwatkins] [link to this post]

What exchange is it?
Standard User huwwatkins
(committed) Tue 25-Oct-16 12:58:33
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/SMBEN

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Tue 25-Oct-16 13:13:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by huwwatkins:
Does anyone know if any ISP still offers Max Pro with the higher upload and traffic priority?

Officially called Max Premium, which might help in any Google searches smile

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 25-Oct-16 13:25:22
Print Post

I believe you're referring to the BT 20CN product called 'Adsl Max Premium' which is up to 8128/832 kbps. Yes many ISPs (incl BT, Plusnet) still offer this though you will have to go on a more expensive Business package in order to get it as bog standard Adsl max is up to 8128/448 kbps

I used to have a 8128/832 kbps service with Goscomb around 8 years ago and whilst I appreciated the increased upload, my line still slowed down at peak hours so not sure about the 'traffic priority' claim. Luckily TalkTalk LLU'd my exchange in 2010 so i jumped over to them. I think with the introduction of FTTC, BT may have stopped upgrading smaller exchanges to ADSL2+ (21CN), they certainly won't touch my exchange (NSICL) with a bargepole even though Sky, Vodafone & TalkTalk have LLU'd it.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business 80/20
Asus RT-AC5300 with 380.59_HGG-FINAL
My Broadband Quality Monitor
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Edited by baby_frogmella (Tue 25-Oct-16 13:27:11)

Standard User sheephouse
(newbie) Tue 25-Oct-16 14:04:22
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

I have ADSL Max Premium with Plusnet - you don't need a business package, but you do need to pay an extra £7.83 per month to get the extra upload speed (the Premium part). Although the Premium is supposed to give traffic priority, there is still a small but noticeable drop in achievable speed and increase in latency in the early evenings which can make iPlayer a bit iffy - but to be fair this may not be due to congestion in the BT/plusnet network.

The business package costs even more and gets you priority repairs - they only wait 1 day before looking at problems rather than making you wait 3-5 days (even when it is something they did that broke your connection). I don't think it is good value, and I use a 3G dongle as backup if/when my connection is broken - it is cheaper and avoids even the 1 day delay.
Standard User huwwatkins
(committed) Tue 25-Oct-16 14:38:01
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Yes you are correct! Its amazing how much you unlearn about ADSL after a few years on FTTC!
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Tue 25-Oct-16 20:38:49
Print Post

The 1,000 line Market A exchange I am connected to only has ADSL. Some areas do have FTTC. I could get a faster speed if I paid more. I am not that far from the exchange so ADSL2+ would suit me, but from what I have read, the exchange is unlikely to be upgraded.

Michael Chare
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Wed 26-Oct-16 08:42:20
Print Post

There is one thing to watch out for with Max Premium. There are different makes of equipment used in 20CN exchanges. If you are put on to a Marconi mux it is almost certain that you will experience disconnections nearly every time the phone rings for an incoming call (even if you don't have a phone plugged in). I experienced that on my Plusnet supplied line.

Luckily I contacted A&A under their we'll fix it guarantee who identified the issue when I described what was happening. Plusnet told me first there was no alternative equipment, but after further advice from A&A
Good news is that there are two Fujitsu 20cn mux's on your exchange so if you moved over to us we would request a tie pair change to move your line over.

Regards
--
Shaun Kemp
Escalations Manager
Andrews & Arnold
which I relayed back to Plusnet, I was moved to the Fujitsu equipment and the problem went away.

jelv

Plusnet November 2001 to October 2016
Telephone rental: Pulse8
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Wed 26-Oct-16 08:52:29
Print Post

Are you on an exchange only line (i.e. not via a cab)?

I presume you've checked for plans at http://www.connectedcounties.org/check-availability Have you contacted info@connectedcounties.org - they should know what may happen.

jelv

Plusnet November 2001 to October 2016
Telephone rental: Pulse8
Standard User huwwatkins
(committed) Wed 26-Oct-16 09:15:08
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

Yes - EO line. I think all of the lines for that Exchange are. I've emailed connected counties but not had a reply as of yet.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to