General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mr_flibbles_twin
(committed) Mon 21-Nov-16 15:07:40
Print Post

BT line checker weirdly wrong

[link to this post]

Hi.

After a line fault last week my broadband speed dropped from 12 Mbit to 6 Mbit. I called my isp and During The course of the conversation with them it turns out that BT / Openreach seem to think my line has moved more than 40 miles to Windermere. This might explain why I've recenly been offered FTTC as they now think my line is connected to a cabinet rather than directly to the exchange two miles away.
Either that or they had to do one heck of job reconnecting my line.
This must be a fairly recent thing because the line checker was correct earlier this year when I checked to see what was available.

Does this happen often and how to I get it changed? If only to stop being offered a product I can't get. Or should I just go along with it and let them try wink

My sig is out of date.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 21-Nov-16 17:19:01
Print Post

Re: BT line checker weirdly wrong

[re: mr_flibbles_twin] [link to this post]

Do you have two things

1. Broadband speed dropping - if so have line stats changed and what are they.
2. Lines do move now and then, but usually not that much, so probably a mistake would need to know an address, i.e. email time and then can pester for a correction if it looks wrong.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(committed) Tue 22-Nov-16 12:37:31
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi.

The line stars have changed a little. Attenuation is up from 34 to 36 but now it syncs at 6653 with a snr margin that sits at around 9.

Up to the line fault it was syncing at between 12000 and 13000 with a snr margin of about 6db. It would stay up for weeks on end without resyncing.

These are the latest stats from the router.

STATISTICS
Interface Transmit Receive
Frames Bytes Collision Error Frames Bytes Collision Error
LAN: 9861484 3578965462 0 0 6311905 1410889012 0 0
WAN:
6076750 1277079853 12614 0 9441040 3337285694 0 0
Wireless: N/A N/A - N/A N/A N/A - N/A
ADSL STATISTICS
Line State up
Modulation ITU G.992.5(ADSL2PLUS)
Annex Mode ANNEX_A

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin 8.6 dB 6.7 dB
Line Attenuation 36.3 dB 18.9 dB
Data Rate 6653 kbps 1088 kbps
ES 3 30
SES 0 0
UAS 69 69
FEC 41414 4580
CRC 15 60

My guess is that to fix the fault openreach rerouted my pair and I have a noisier line from a dsl point of view.

frown

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 22-Nov-16 15:43:35
Print Post

[re: mr_flibbles_twin] [link to this post]

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/calc/index.php?param=RG...

Suggests line not behaving as fast as it should, so idea of fault fixed by going to a worse line seems likely.

The 30 error seconds on the upload suggestion some of the issue may be on the upload side

Forcing modem into ADSL2 mode, rather than ADSL2+ can sometimes mean the line is not pushed so hard and give a more stable experience.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(committed) Tue 22-Nov-16 17:50:04
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Mr S.

I think I might have an interesting set of phone calls ahead of me. Makes me wish I was still with AAISP.

Up to recently we had two 12 mbit lines with a load balancing router taking care of our Internet needs. Both with identical sync speeds and performance so it's definitely the repair to blame.

Hopefully they will sort out the bt database entry too as its annoying when "support" just read off the entry and try to upsell fibre to me.

I think the quickest way to get the data entry revised will be to take up the offer of fibre. wink

Print Thread

Jump to