General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Wed 09-Aug-17 17:45:31
Print Post

Re: 21CN WBC and Netherend exchange

[re: sheephouse] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by sheephouse:
Yes, but even so, 21CN does not imply ADSL2+. I'll believe 98.2% coverage for 21CN, but not for ADSL2+ - at the least, many with FTTP have it because ADSL2+ isn't an option, and they account for more than the 0.8%.

On long lines ADSL2 is often a better option than ADSL2+ - on a 21CN exchange an end user can force an ADSL2 connection (or even an ADSL1 connection) for a better combination of stability and speed.

So yes 21CN does not always imply that all users are on ADSL2+ even though it is available but not a viable option. If the ADSL2 speed is inadequate for a user's needs then of course FTTP would be the best option.
Standard User sheephouse
(learned) Wed 09-Aug-17 18:50:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I think I'm confused again.

If 21CN does mean ADSL2+, why does the WBC offerings include WBC Max (which is ADSL Max, or an uncapped upload ADSL Max). Surely since ADSL2+ can operate in G992.1 mode there wouldn't be any need for an WBC Max product if ADSL2+ was always available.

None of the documents I have access to appear to contradict what BT have told me.

Can anyone see any upgrade plans for Netherend? That would contradict BT.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-Aug-17 19:14:11
Print Post

Some providers have only sold an up to 8 Mbps product even when more from ADSL2+ was available

WBC Max has two definitions
http://www.sinet.bt.com/sinet/SINs/pdf/472v2p8.pdf

But elsewhere you find references to WBC Max and WBC ADSL2+ with the Max being an ADSL protocol product on WBC exchanges i.e. its a product choice a retailer makes when buying from BT Wholesale.

Upgrading kit to support WBC backhaul and other elements makes little sense if only going to offer ADSL service at the wholesale level

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User sheephouse
(learned) Wed 09-Aug-17 19:39:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Upgrading to WBC does get rid of IPStream.

And do they charge more wholesale for ADSL2+ to make it worth upgrading?

BT have told me that there is not enough room in the exchange for ADSL2+, that it will never be installed there, and that they have no plans to upgrade any remaining EO lines ever. So if they were going to upgrade to ADSL2+ wouldn't they have some plans in place by now? Or at least a plan to have a plan?

BT Business are offering bonded lines as the only option they have for improving ADSL.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-Aug-17 22:02:43
Print Post

Time will bring the answer

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to