General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dan44762000
(newbie) Fri 13-Oct-17 15:24:34
Print Post

Is this the start of GFast for me ?

[link to this post]

So i noticed Openreach have been all over the road the last few days , and doing this to all the phone lines.
I know my area (Swansea) is having GFast fitted to most homes as the trial went very well for them apparently

So i have added some pictures of what i see on the pole outside

https://imgur.com/Y6Xbejv
https://imgur.com/bHfwzXM

https://imgur.com/uPLLOmD

Edited by dan44762000 (Fri 13-Oct-17 15:25:35)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 13-Oct-17 15:45:29
Print Post

Re: Is this the start of GFast for me ?

[re: dan44762000] [link to this post]

No

G.fast involves no changes to the poles (its cabinet based in the roll-out for the next couple of years).

Those pictures look like a temporary fix to a broken copper line/lines and they will be back to tidy up at some point soon.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User dan44762000
(newbie) Fri 13-Oct-17 16:01:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

But they have been doing this on all the poles in the street, so all of them were bad and needed repair ? ?
And it doesn't look like anything has been connected , and that certainly was not there before.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 13-Oct-17 17:57:12
Print Post

Openreach does fix faults and repair bunches of cable. It may be someone has ordered a new line and spare pairs are all faulty so having to go down the road and fix them...

G.fast will NOT require this sort of work at all.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Fri 13-Oct-17 19:20:52
Print Post

It looks to me like Openreach are installing new copper pairs to the Telegraph poles, as mentioned above probably to fix copper line issues...

Amazingly these sort of maintenance jobs do still happen.

My exchange had something similar done recently where fed new 100 pair cables around a neighbourhood and also replaced all old underground distribution points.

Could be a small sign of some sort of new fibre to the cabinet solution being planned, however could depend on what issues exist.

Dum Di Dum Di Dum Di Dum
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 13-Oct-17 19:28:12
Print Post

That's armoured copper cable, coiled and waiting to be used for something ..... nuttin' to do with G.Fast.

Sorry.

Print Thread

Jump to