General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User stanchel
(newbie) Sun 15-Jul-18 08:03:19
Print Post

Not acheiving USO levels

[link to this post]

Does anyone know what Openreach intend to do for those whose connection speed falls below the future Universal Service Obligation of 10mbs download/ 1mb upload? I only get about half that. No, I do not live in a remote island in the Outer Hebrides, merely 35 miles from Cambridge, the Technology Hub of the UK, in a village of 1000 souls.
I have heard so much about the USO, but not one thing about what will be done to fix those that are below it. A local Openreach engineer told me that they were actively rolling out FTTP for those who complained loud enough. Every time I ask about it I am told my local exchange does not provide it. The USO is due to become law in 2020, I do not know on what date.
in my area it seems Openreach are not doing anything, possible as the fibre rollout was funded by extra government funding through ConnectingCambridgeshire. Their obligation seemed to be have been to ensure connections were a minimum of 2mbs and now, I guess, their job is done.
I had better internet speed than this in rural areas of Sri Lanka, presumably what Openreach would call a Third World country...
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 15-Jul-18 08:20:07
Print Post

Re: Not acheiving USO levels

[re: stanchel] [link to this post]

Why are you asking this in the BT Wholesale section of this forum ?

Have you asked Virgin to fibre your village ? Or Gigaclear or Hyperoptic ?

What about raising funds locally for a community funded fibre project ?

The solutions are out there, but take effort, and sometimes cold hard cash.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 15-Jul-18 10:07:39
Print Post

How USO will work has not been fully defined, needs Ofcom to say how it will work...

Which village is it?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Sun 15-Jul-18 13:32:56
Print Post

The devil is in the detail, all of which has not been decided upon.
For instance it will be demand lead. That means you will need to request action to be taken , don't expect it just be delivered out the blue.
Also there will be a cost limit per premise, with users required to pay any additional cost above the threshold. However multiple home owners/occupiers can group together to increase the fund available.
Much is yet undecided and a lot will depend on local and individual circumstances.

Edited by witchunt (Sun 15-Jul-18 13:42:31)

Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Jul-18 13:59:31
Print Post

The USO has little or nothing as such to do with BT Openreach but rather with Ofcom. Once agreed and in law we will know which providers are prepared to undertake USO work.

If you want Openreach to do something now you need to consider a Community Partnership and put your collective hands in your pockets and contribute towards the cost as others including myself have done.
Standard User stanchel
(newbie) Mon 16-Jul-18 06:51:17
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Oh! sorry, I assumed this was the correct forum for Openreach, which forum should I use?

I asked Virgin 4 years ago, still hoping...

That may not be successful as I believe the demographic is a large proportion of pensioners on government pensions.

Fine, hard cash can buy anything, but what does "Universal Service Obligation" actually mean - surely not if you have cash we can provide, that is "offer and acceptance", hardly the same..
Standard User stanchel
(newbie) Mon 16-Jul-18 06:56:14
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Murrow, near Wisbech
The village now has FTTC, however there is only the one cabinet to cover quite a large area ~ 2 mile radius..

My house is ~ 1 mile from the cabinet.

If USO has not even been defined there seems to be no chance that Openreach are going to be geared up in time to supply it.
Standard User stanchel
(newbie) Mon 16-Jul-18 07:15:05
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

Thank you for your reply.

I cannot see why "obligation" is used when it seems to be an offer of provision if you are prepared to pay. I guess I am thinking that "obligation" defines it so it more like say how the National Health medicine prescriptions works. You pay the national charge for your prescription, not necessarily the cost of the medication.

I am not after something for nothing. I currently pay the national charge for VDSL2 which for most people is somewhere around 76mbs, I can achieve 10mbs on a good day, on ADSL2 it is only max of 6mbs. Currently there is nothing else available.
I presume USO is part of the move to raise the national minimum speed so we do not fall behind the rest of the world. I am wondering if I, and others like me, are going to see an improvement when USO kicks in and what that improvement could be...
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Jul-18 09:06:09
Print Post

If USO has not even been defined there seems to be no chance that Openreach are going to be geared up in time to supply it.
USO once implemented is going involve more than just Openreach, other providers are likely to come in to play such as Gigaclear and the various WISPs. Openreach may even choose not to be involved having had their earlier offer turned down. Unlikely but still a possibility until everything has been agreed and the funding arrangements known.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Jul-18 09:46:08
Print Post

Have a read of this.

Ofcom are consulting and requesting expressions of interesting for which ISPs would be interested in providing USO. Any ISP could potentially apply - USO does not automatically mean BT or any of it's subsidiaries.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 16-Jul-18 10:57:53
Print Post

If you are paying the national charge for a 76 Mbps service then you are doing it wrong.

You need to subscribe to a service based on the 40/10 rather than 80/20 product which is generally cheaper.

And Vodafone will offer a discount of 15% if sync speed is below 25 Mbps.

No-one is going to see an improvement when the USO kicks in, unless they exercise their right to demand the better connection and from your description of 10 Mbps on a good day and that the 10 down and 1 up is based on the connection speed it seems like you may already have a connection that is USO compliant but are suffering from ISP congestion issues maybe.

The cost threshold is likely to be around £3,400 for the installation of a USO connection.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 16-Jul-18 10:59:25
Print Post

USO means a right to demand a minimum 10 Mbps down connection speed and 1 Mbps up connection speed, so long as cost to install is below £3,400 if cost to install is above that you are given the option of contributing.

As for who, how you demand etc etc ask Ofcom

Standard User michaelkenward
(regular) Tue 17-Jul-18 10:03:00
Print Post

Re: Not achieving USO levels

The village now has FTTC, however there is only the one cabinet to cover quite a large area ~ 2 mile radius..
My house is ~ 1 mile from the cabinet.

A two mile radius is not a huge area if our cabinet is anything to go by. Small village, a few miles from the local exchange.

I'm a lot nearer to the cabinet, about 400 meters, and can hit 68 Mbps in speed tests. Neighbours get decent speeds further from the box.

But as others say, achieving "USO levels" is a probably red herring. I'd be more interested in the state of the wires.

Standard User stanchel
(newbie) Wed 18-Jul-18 07:07:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I originally subscribed to the 40/10 product and was lucky to get 6mbs download/ 0.4 upload speed. Subscribing to the 80/20 product gave me a speed increase to 10 mbs download/ 0.7 upload. Small improvement, but it makes a difference!
I think most people would pay more for a better speed, getting a discount for the current speed doesn't solve the problem. Is that going to be the only effect of the USO?

If I went door knocking around my neighbours to see who would be interested in paying something towards a better link and I manage to find say 20 households in a 500m radius what could Openreach propose as a solution? Run a fibre from the existing cab to a new cab in our location and then run new copper from the new cab to our homes? It all sounds very expensive and frankly a pipe dream. As far as I know the copper is OK, it's just we are 1100ms from the village cab.
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Wed 18-Jul-18 08:19:34
Print Post

Seems your line is capable of meeting 10 Mbits downstream and possibly 1Mbits upstream connection proposed in the USO. You should have the same connection speeds regardless of FTTC product due to your line length to the cabinet, the difference in throughput is likely to related to your ISP.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 18-Jul-18 09:19:33
Print Post

Upgrading to 80/20 is not the direct reason your speed went up. Something else happened - ie DLM decided to configure the line differently or the ISP were using a different "speed" option. The connection on 80/20 and 40/10 is identical for any line that runs slower than 40/10 with the same configuration options. It is likely the regrade just triggered DLM and it came up with a different answer. You are paying more for the same service.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 18-Jul-18 09:40:34
Print Post

20 households

Scenario

1. VDSL2 cabinet located nearby around £25,000+
2. FTTP to those 20 and without an idea of location hard to speculate but suggests £40,000

If you think the 20 of you can fund that sort of money then time to engage with https://communityfibre.openreach.co.uk

1100 metres would usually produce better speeds than 10 Mbps down and 0.7 Mbps up, since posting on a line of slightly longer and one like syncs at 19 Mbps the other 27 Mbps (good line does not have various repair joints)

On the speed improvement on going to 80/20 as others have said the product change was not the reason, but the move probably got the DLM reset and it may have settled on a slightly better sync speed, assuming your figures are sync speed and not throughput

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to