General Discussion
  >> BTwholesale DSL Implementation

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User PiKe
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Aug-18 13:18:50
Print Post

What can cause a router to restart?

[link to this post]

My dad has been having ongoing issues for years with fibre broadband, he has tried several different routers and even connected them to a UPS power supply to eliminate the incoming power, or interference over the internal electrical wiring.

Every router drops connections intermittently, sometimes in a burst of 7 or 8 times, the common factor is that every one of the routers, restarts during these periods, its impossible for all the routers to exhibit the same fault.

Could a router reboot if there is excessive resistance over the twisted pair?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 09-Aug-18 13:25:33
Print Post

Re: What can cause a router to restart?

[re: PiKe] [link to this post]

Which routers?

To confirm all local lan connectivity to the routers admin interface is lost when it is 'restarting'?

Just trying to make sure that resyncs are not being confused with restarts of the router.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PiKe
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Aug-18 13:27:51
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

They are definitely restarting because the syslog starts Jan 1 each time before it gets the time from the NTP.

2x Plusnet Hub One
1x Fritz!Box
1x TG589VAC

And I think there was one other which I can't remember, the problem has been going on since before he got Fibre (ADSL MAX), so you can include a BT HH2 in there as well.

Edited by PiKe (Thu 09-Aug-18 14:38:16)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 09-Aug-18 18:26:46
Print Post

[re: PiKe] [link to this post]

The TG I used to see them have issues when resyncing sometimes, i.e. losing access to web interface, and similar on the BT Hubs, the Fritzbox I am not so sure.

Try https://amzn.to/2AWsZAC I use one in bridge mode in front of a Vodafone router, the line is unstable with the Vodafone router which also when resyncing seems to sometimes drop Wi-Fi.

As a full router the TP W9970 has pretty useless wireless, but pretty much always use it in bridge mode.

Have the usual checks being done with regards to removing extension wiring and testing at the test socket?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to