User comments on ISPs
  >> Demon Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Cansado
(newbie) Sat 26-Mar-11 12:44:26
Print Post

Demon download speed during non-peak hours.

[link to this post]

Since the evening of March 14th 2011, I've noticed a marked deterioration in the speed at which I can download. A speedtest done at midnight resulted in a download speed of 560Kb/s when my IP profile was 3000Kb/s. It's been the same every night since.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I contacted technical support and was told it would be reported to the Network Engineers. I've spoken to technical support several times since and been told there is no update.

It's made worse by having my speed restricted from 8.00am until 11pm when it should be from 9.00am until 11pm. It's been like this for over three months and I'm told there is no update from the network engineers.
Is anyone else having their speed restricted earlier than it should be?

Cansado.
Standard User AlanH
(knowledge is power) Sat 26-Mar-11 16:25:41
Print Post

Re: Demon download speed during non-peak hours.

[re: Cansado] [link to this post]

My 8 Mbit home/business line is usually around 4 MBits/sec except at peak periods, but it slowed to under 1 Mbit/sec last week. I even checked if I was up against the FUP threshold, though I am always well clear of it. Last night it became a real problem. I needed some serious software updates and they were crawling. I tried rebooting my router and it came back to full performance. I've no idea whether it was my Netgear v3 playing up or the line.

Alan
Demon since forever, HomeOffice MaxDSL since 2006 via Netgear DG834G router
Mac Pro 2.66GHz 4GBytes / MBP 13" - Snow Leopard plus Centos4 & XP Pro in Parallels
Standard User Cansado
(newbie) Sat 26-Mar-11 19:42:59
Print Post

[re: AlanH] [link to this post]

Hello Alan,

Thanks for the reply. I too use a Netgear DG834G which I rebooted yesterday afternoon and while the speed at which it synced was higher, above 4000Kb/s which is unusual for my line, that didn't last for long and by last night, it had dropped to 3776Kb/s but the speed at which I was able to download at 11.45pm, well outside the peak period, was only 241Kb/s, according to the BT speedtest. If you are not capped under their FUP, do you know why your connection is slower during peak periods?
I have to say I much preferred having 2Mb/s and knowing it was stable rather than what they described as an upgrade to "up to 8Mb/s" which is all that's available now and has been unreliable and given me problems from the start.

Cansado.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zadeks
(member) Sat 26-Mar-11 20:48:23
Print Post

Time to find a new ISP. Demon is awful unless you are on LLU.
Standard User AlanH
(knowledge is power) Sat 26-Mar-11 22:05:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by Cansado:
Hello Alan,

If you are not capped under their FUP, do you know why your connection is slower during peak periods?

I assume it's just because of exchange/central congestion. I don't watch my download rate like a hawk, as I don't need fast downloads most of the time, so I don't have any really useful stats on when throughput goes bad, or how often. Looking at the latency monitor I was getting periods from midday to evening where minimum latency would double. That seems to have abated a couple of weeks ago, so either my central has been switched to a quieter trunk or my neighbours are doing less.

I'm still on the old ADSL basic 8 Mbit service. Rumour has it that's being starved of central capacity as LLU rollout happens. My local exchange is due for C&W LLU presence at the end of April, but it isn't on Demon's schedule of upgrades yet. BT have also slated it for special treatment for a rural 24 Mbit fibre rollout in the next 12 months, but I'll believe it when I see them digging on our side of the river.

Alan
Demon since forever, HomeOffice MaxDSL since 2006 via Netgear DG834G router
Mac Pro 2.66GHz 4GBytes / MBP 13" - Snow Leopard plus Centos4 & XP Pro in Parallels
  Print Thread

Jump to