User comments on ISPs
  >> Demon Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User iced
(newbie) Sun 05-Jun-11 11:30:06
Print Post

£170 if the faults mine!

[link to this post]

I've been having nothing but problems with my internet since Demon upgraged to adsl2 in 2006. Prior to that I was perfectly happy with the service, even though I was paying a little more than others were for their internet connection.

ADSL2 came and connection becomes unreliable on a regular basis. Firstly they didn't warn me until the day before they upgraded and my router didn't work for adsl 2 - so had to wait till pay day to buy a new routers - how rude!

Since then on a regular basis the provision becomes completely unreliable. Internet on, internet off, internet on, internet off - I complain after a week or so everything goes OK for a few months and then it starts again!

When I moan to Demon, which I do, they tell me they can send an engineer out but if it ends up being inside my presmises they will charge me £170! So I ring my telephone provider Post Office and tell them my woes and they say they will send an engineer but if it's inside my home they will charge me £120!

Wow that sounds scary - engineer comes say its in my house I get charged £170 or £120 and I'm none the wiser.

Not last week, but the week before it starts again.... but this time there is no connection most of the time. So I ring Demon - here we go again! Have you changed your filter (yes about half a dozen times) have you tried a different router (yes I'm on the fourth rounter I've tried) have you tried plugging into the test plate behind the socket.

Got a bit of a problem with this though! That socket is part of the telephone providers equipment and is nothing to do with me. I'm not a telephone engineer and I don't think I should be taking sockets apart.

So this time when I ring Demon, just as I start talking to the Technical Help (lol) Desk the internet comes back on, so I explain, sound like and idiot and hang up. Within minutes the internet goes off again. pfft ring Demon and guess what - just as I start to talk to the operator the internet comes back on. Well I can be a bit of a conspiracy theorists, so I'm sure they've got somthing that knows I'm ringing and starts the internet back up.

I explain to the Technical Help Desk ( this one wasn't lol, I had quite a reaonsable discussion with this one) he says he is going to get the engineers onto it. Well now i've had enough, I don't use my house phone so have no landline plugged into the socket, I've got no extensions and I've done all the router, filter tests upteen times. Get the engineer!

The internet goes off again straight away - tick, tock, tick tock - I wonder... so I dial my mobile from my house phone and guess what! The internet comes back on, phone hangs up, minutes later the internet goes off again. Ring the mobile from the house phone, internets back on again.

I ring demon manage to get hold of sensible technical help desk person and tell him my discovery. "OK I'll pass that information over the the engineer". Later that week get a call from an engineer, goes over the issues, say's: "it looks like you drop the connection mostly during the day" that's not my experience. I work so i'm not in that much during the day - it happens all the time!

Almost a week later, the connections been stable for a day, I think I'll check the speed. Speed 1.43 Mbps, normally its over 3 Mbps. Not heard anything from them about the fault so I'l give them a ring.

pfft get a not very helpful helpdesk member, who takes ages to get up to speed and after telling me to hold on several times while she does some checks. How much a minute is this call costing me?

blah, blah, blah, blah at some point she tells me something say's it indicates the problem is in my home, because I told them the internet comes back on when I dial out.

If it's in my home and they haven't been out to look at anything and it's working again - how can it be in my home? Unless I'm ringing one of those 0845 numbers or whatever they are, I don't have the phone even plugged in - I've got my mobile phone with catrillions of minutes on it - that I'm sure I never come near to using!

I asked for a copy of the report, I'm also not happy paying for something I haven't had (internet service connection) and I think their customer service is bobbins. Thankfully they do whatever it is they do and the speed goes back up but how long do you reckon before it goes down again?

This post is a book isn't it? Well the whole experience has been a saga - any ideas on what's really going on?
Standard User camieabz
(legend) Sun 05-Jun-11 12:39:43
Print Post

Re: £170 if the faults mine!

[re: iced] [link to this post]

Does the 'Internet' come up everytime you use the phone (regardless of who you call), and go down everytime you hang up?

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Live BQM

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User GeeTee
(committed) Sun 05-Jun-11 12:43:41
Print Post

Sounds like a developing HR Dis (high resistance disconnection) on the line between premises and exchange. The additional voltage applied when making/receiving a call can temporarily mask the problem.

Usually caused by a corroding joint somewhere.

Accessing the test point at the master socket is easy enough provided you have one of the more modern split faced master sockets (NTE5). Just remove the 2 screws and gently pull the lower section forwards to reveal the test point.

e.g.
http://www.relay-rutlandtelecom.co.uk/master-socket/...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User iced
(newbie) Sun 05-Jun-11 14:08:16
Print Post

Thanks for the response peeps smile

camieabz - yes the internet came back on regardless of who I rang. It came back on after about 30 seconds of ringing. It didn't always go off straight away but it did mostly.

GeeTee - I have one of those split front sockets, the line was only installed back in 2004, so it should all be relatively new. I read the link you sent me and the 'is done at your own risk' comment confirmes I should really stay away from unscrewing it. I'm a bit of a master of disaster where practical things are concerned, everything I touch turns to chaos.
Standard User camieabz
(legend) Sun 05-Jun-11 14:20:34
Print Post

My first point of call would be to have the router plugged directly into the master plate with a phone plugged directly in too. If the problem continues under these conditions, and you have no reason to suspect any of the cabling, it's a phone provider issue, however,

So I ring my telephone provider Post Office and tell them my woes and they say they will send an engineer but if it's inside my home they will charge me £120!

BT will do master socket work for free if the problem is not caused by you (tampering with master socket). The post office seem to charge regardless based on what you said.

The work involved might be very easy indeed. The best thing would be to unscrew the faceplate, pull it open a little and take a photograph, and if possible we might be able to give advice or pointers as to what the problem might be.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Live BQM

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User WWWombat
(member) Sun 05-Jun-11 18:09:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by iced:
I read the link you sent me and the 'is done at your own risk' comment confirmes I should really stay away from unscrewing it. I'm a bit of a master of disaster where practical things are concerned, everything I touch turns to chaos.

Are there any extensions wired into the master socket, or is it a standalone connection?

When the say they will charge you if the problem is within the house, they are really referring to your extension wiring, or your filters, or your equipment plugged in to the various sockets.

That split-faceplate does a *deliberate* job of splitting BT's ownership from your ownership. Your responsibility is for anything wired into the front faceplate - ie any extensions. BT's responsibility ends at the back half of the faceplate.

That is why everyone is asking you to remove the front half of the faceplate. It removes your wiring from the equation (and the faceplate itself). IIRC, you'd already tried other filters & routers, so this is really the best thing to do next.

If you have any extensions in the house, then these are (or should be) wired onto the front faceplate. If you don't have any extensions, then the faceplate will have no wiring at all.

Either way, the front faceplate then provides a socket on the outside, for you, directly connected (via a PCB) to a hidden plug that then pushes into BT's *real* socket in the back half - what everyone calls the test socket. Even once you have unscrewed & removed the front-half of the faceplate, which disconnects it from the rear socket, the rear half remains screwed in place with its own screws, and still hides BT's wiring - there really is very little that can go wrong!

When all you have is a router, plugged into a filter, plugged into the rear test socket - and you've tried alternative filters & routers - then there is no way BT can say the problem exists in your house!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 06-Jun-11 11:46:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by iced:
Thanks for the response peeps smile

camieabz - yes the internet came back on regardless of who I rang. It came back on after about 30 seconds of ringing. It didn't always go off straight away but it did mostly.

GeeTee - I have one of those split front sockets, the line was only installed back in 2004, so it should all be relatively new. I read the link you sent me and the 'is done at your own risk' comment confirmes I should really stay away from unscrewing it. I'm a bit of a master of disaster where practical things are concerned, everything I touch turns to chaos.
Two things that have beed said, with which I agree:-

1) It sounds like a developing HR (High Resistance) fault. These are between the (back part of) the master socket and the exchange. It can only get worse until fixed.

2) You are expected to try the test socket even for a simple phone fault - nothing to do with broadband. This is covered in the BT Phone Book, (Telephone Directory to english-speaking human beings), and has been for many years.

The Manchester South 2010/2011 edition has a column about it on the left of page 4. It specifically says "If you still can't get a working line, then leave the lower cover disconnected and contact your telephone company. This is because if your telephone is not working when connected to the test socket, then the line is almost certainly at fault". (My underlining).

If you browse these forums you will find all ISPs with knowledgeable support ask you to try the test socket for broadband faults, for the same reason.

Just remove it very gently, as any extension wiring in the house might be connected to it. See the picture on this page. For now, ignore what the page is about, but while you have the socket open, look to see if there are wires on T3 and/or T4. If there are, then once things are fixed with your fault then what is on that page could significantly improve your normal connection.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
  Print Thread

Jump to