User comments on ISPs
  >> Demon Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User launcelot
(learned) Thu 14-Jun-12 08:21:56
Print Post

Demon email

[link to this post]

I'm trying to help a non-tech acquaintance with email - I'm not a Demon user myself. Demon keep announcing that changes to email will be communicated to customers when they happen. Can anyone enlighten me on the what the actual changes involve (server name changes or whatever)? The user doesn't use an email client, just webmail.

Thanks

Geoff
Standard User ianXX
(experienced) Thu 21-Jun-12 08:41:57
Print Post

Re: Demon email

[re: launcelot] [link to this post]

There are no configuration changes if you only use web mail. All you need is the new webmail address and a new password (which should be emailed to email address postmaster@etc during migration).

New webmail ...
https://webmail.demon.co.uk

Old webmail ...
https://web.mail.demon.net

Note the full stop removed from "web.mail" and the ".co.uk" change. The new webmail address won't work until after you have been migrated to the new webmail.

More info ...
http://knowledgebase.demon.net/article/demon-mail-mi...

However, I think this quote from the FAQs may need some action by the user ...
You will need to ensure that you collect all of your email before you are due to be migrated, so that no email is left on the current email service.

This says to me that if you only use webmail, you will lose your old emails after migration. So, if you want to save your old emails, you will need to use a POP3 client to download them to a PC. But Demon's help isn't particularly noted for being accurate and comprehensive!

This reply is based on Demon's help and FAQs - I am still waiting for my own mail migration to take place. The new webmail can't be worse than the old webmail which, in my opinion, is dreadful.

Ian
Standard User launcelot
(learned) Mon 25-Jun-12 09:34:21
Print Post

[re: ianXX] [link to this post]

Thanks for your comprehensive reply, Ian, it is very enlightening. I had found some comments on one of the Demon forums but missed the FAQ.

I had wondered why you described the Demon webmail as 'dreadful'. My user has just received a 1.6MB email that he cannot read on webmail because it is 'too big' - so now I understand your comment.

The user is not very confident with PCs so I'm not sure how he will get on with the new OWA interface - he previously used a corporate vpn system that, I assume, would have been outlook-based (he doesn't know). Maybe I should set him up on POP3 live mail.

I'd be interested to know when you get your notification of change.

Regards

Geoff

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 25-Jun-12 09:55:03
Print Post

My user has just received a 1.6MB email that he cannot read on webmail because it is 'too big' - so now I understand your comment.
He's supposed to download it wink

The old Demon webmail interface was a front end to the POP3 server put together years ago, they never really believed in webmail so the new service should appeal to people who prefer that method.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User launcelot
(learned) Wed 04-Jul-12 06:06:37
Print Post

As an update to this thread, I have set up the user for live mail.

He now has a postmaster mailbox, but has not yet received notification of the impending changes - Demon seem to be taking a long time to roll this out.

Geoff
  Print Thread

Jump to