Technical Discussion
  >> Digital Photography, Video and Graphics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User camieabz
(legend) Wed 29-Dec-10 22:48:29
Print Post

Monitor choices - wide gamut a problem?

[link to this post]

Hallo.

I'm looking around for a new monitor an I've narrowed down the short list. However, two of the monitors I'm interested in have 'wide gamut' screens. Now, I'm not going to be using this monitor for photo stuff, but wondered if the photo folk in here might enlighten me a little.

For a start, I won't be calibrating the monitor with a spyder-type tool, so will be doing it as best as I can, based on info from others' online postings and from free software. I'm using Windows Vista. Any suggestions on how to go about this?

My system usage is roughly split as:

30% Browsing
30% Business Apps / Web Coding
30% Gaming
10% Movies

So as you can see, definitely a need for sharp text, and reasonable response times. Up until last week I was using a Hyundai L90D+, which was a 5:4 with a 1280 x 1024 resolution. Had it since May 2005, so not bad.

My requirements started out as 5:4 or 4:3 with minimum for 20" screen, but the prices are hellish. I have now accepted that I need to shift to widescreen, but have decided that it must be:

24" (giving plenty of vertical scrolling and viewing space)
16:10 (better than 16:9 for more vertical screen)
This means 1920 x 1200 is the way to go.

Of the ones I've been looking at, I find the following:

Dell U2410w

HP LP2475w

HP ZR24w

To keep things simple, my concerns are that the HP2475 is an older model, and is no better thant he Dell. Both the HP2475 and the Dell are wide gamut. The ZR24w, while being a non-wide gamut apparently can't scale to 1920 x 1080 in a 1:1 manner. The specs claim it, but online reports are that it stretches the view.

So, I feel left with the LP2475w and the Dell. As mentioned already, I feel the Dell has the better chance of being the one, but wonder if anyone can throw some extra light or thoughts on things...

At £450 for either, I'd rather not mess around with issues.

You can get detailed reviews of all three at tftcentral. Go to the 'TFT Selector' and select the following options:

300-500
24"
Yes
IPS
No preference
Office / Internet
Gaming
No
Height Adjustable Stand

That should throw up all three.

P.S. - If anyone would be willing to loan me a spyder tool for a small fee, it will be duly considered. wink

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011 - Quote this post and I'll sue.

report this link

Edited by camieabz (Wed 29-Dec-10 22:49:37)

Standard User Kenneth
(legend) Thu 30-Dec-10 08:58:00
Print Post

Re: Monitor choices - wide gamut a problem?

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

wide gamut refers to colour handling - it shouldn't make any difference to pixel size/display resolution.

I have two Dell 24" screens on desktop and a calibration tool - but I am not happy with results, but for general use the monitors are good (but they seem to have an issue detecting the input connector after booting up - solved by switching monitor off & on)

Ken

Nostalgia is memory with the pain removed
Standard User jonathanHodd
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Jan-11 08:54:39
Print Post

[re: Kenneth] [link to this post]

I never see the point of paying for wide gamut. I've always used 'cheap' monitors that give a good bang for their buck, my photos always come back as I expect them to and my customers often comment on how good they look.

I used to use two LG 1915s screens and now use one of the 1915s' and a Samsung P2450H; they've always done fine for gaming too

-------------------------------------------------------
flickr
There is nothing in life that cannot be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Kenneth
(legend) Tue 04-Jan-11 17:21:17
Print Post

[re: jonathanHodd] [link to this post]

have you compared two sorts side by side? wide gamut do look better

Ken

Standard User jonathanHodd
(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Jan-11 08:52:34
Print Post

[re: Kenneth] [link to this post]

I haven't but I don't feel the need to - 'standard' screens do the job perfectly well for me, for significantly less money smile
I should probably mention I use a huey pro but the bottom line is still in my favour smile

-------------------------------------------------------
flickr
There is nothing in life that cannot be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
Standard User Kenneth
(legend) Wed 05-Jan-11 17:31:36
Print Post

[re: jonathanHodd] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jonathanHodd:
I haven't but I don't feel the need to - 'standard' screens do the job perfectly well for me, for significantly less money smile

I just look at as the monitors were one of the cheaper parts of my photography kit

Ken

Print Thread

Jump to