Technical Discussion
  >> Digital Photography, Video and Graphics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Feb-11 10:00:34
Print Post

HD JVC camcorder

[link to this post]

I just ordered myself a JVC HD camcorder from JVC, the price is good, £200 or just under and I like JVC, my old camcorder is JVC and takes great video for a SD camcorder.

I know the JVC is only a consumer camcorder and not a pro, but then I am not a pro, it is just a hobby. It is a UK launch, so they say, still at least with QVC I can send the thing back before 30 days and get my money back.

The other advantage to it is it is not that big, so easy to carry around, but it uses SD card, my old one used a hard drive.

We will see what it is like and what the quality is like.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Standard User 4M2
(member) Fri 18-Feb-11 11:00:58
Print Post

Re: HD JVC camcorder

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Adrian,

Have fun with your camcorder, if you run into problems editing the AVCHD clips with Vegas, e.g. slow preview play of a fairly complex project from the timeline, don't despair. A very workable solution is to use SD proxy files (MPEG-2) for editing and replace those proxies with the original AVCHD clips for the final render.

4M2.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-Feb-11 11:46:35
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 4M2:
Adrian,

Have fun with your camcorder, if you run into problems editing the AVCHD clips with Vegas, e.g. slow preview play of a fairly complex project from the timeline, don't despair. A very workable solution is to use SD proxy files (MPEG-2) for editing and replace those proxies with the original AVCHD clips for the final render.

4M2.

Thanks, I had a look at what this proxy editing was and found a couple of tutorials on You Tube, a bit long winded, but it makes sense.

My computer may cope with a couple of tracks, but any more than that it will suffer,
i can't wait for it, but QVc just phoned me to say I could not have it as two easy payments because of judgements in my name. I told them I would put some many across to the other account and pay it all then, i don't think he could be bothered to wait and told me he would let it go through. So I got it for two easy payments.

Dam flipping debts, a pain in the neck, still at least I am getting sorted.

Anyway, back to camera, i hope it is as good as it looks, I know some people knock QVC, but at least I can try it for a couple of weeks and if it is no good send it back and their prices are pretty good.

A HD camcorder for under £200 is pretty good and JVC makes some good ones, I got some great stuff from my old JVC.

I got to organise my computer better, with better folder names.

Adrian

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 4M2
(member) Sat 19-Feb-11 16:33:09
Print Post

Adrian,

If you do use proxies it's very straight forward with Vegas: just replace the proxy files by right clicking them in the project media pane and Vegas will automatically replace the proxies on the timeline(s) with the AVCHD clips, plus any cuts, crops, effects etc. that have been added during the edit.

Just have the original AVCHD clips in one folder and the proxies in another folder with file names that you recognise as being two versions of the same clip - this way the replacement procedure will be very easy.

Your only problem might be with the conversion of the AVCHD clips to a suitable proxy format before you start editing. Maybe the supplied JVC software could do it, if not there is free software such as Prism http://www.nchsoftware.com/prism/index.html which will do the conversion and will keep the file names the same except for the extensions. The free version of Prism will need to have "Use FFMPEG first..." selected from the Options > Conversions menu though.

Have fun,

4M2.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 21-Feb-11 00:06:07
Print Post

Adrian,

If you do use proxies it's very straight forward with Vegas: just replace the proxy files by right clicking them in the project media pane and Vegas will automatically replace the proxies on the timeline(s) with the AVCHD clips, plus any cuts, crops, effects etc. that have been added during the edit.

Just have the original AVCHD clips in one folder and the proxies in another folder with file names that you recognise as being two versions of the same clip - this way the replacement procedure will be very easy.

Thanks, I will try that.

I sorted out my hard drive and got different folders ready.
Your only problem might be with the conversion of the AVCHD clips to a suitable proxy format before you start editing. Maybe the supplied JVC software could do it, if not there is free software such as Prism http://www.nchsoftware.com/prism/index.html which will do the conversion and will keep the file names the same except for the extensions. The free version of Prism will need to have "Use FFMPEG first..." selected from the Options > Conversions menu though.

Have fun,

4M2.

I found something called Mpeg stream clip, not sure if it will do what I want. I never used Hd much for editing before and never used AVCHD, so not sure what I am getting into. I know AVCHD is a format for HD, the one problem I do have with this camera is that it uses SD cards, it comes with a 4Gb card and i been looking for info about how long I can record with that and it seems that at full 1080p, it is about 30mins, not long at all really.

I will have to get a 32Gb card, the problem is they are not cheap, about £45, a lot of money for a small memory card, 64GB ones are a lot more

My old JVC have a hard drive, which is good because there is more space, but is bad because if you run out of space you are stuck.

Thankfully, because I got it from QVc, I will be able to put it though it paces and if I don't like I can send it back. The camera is so new i can't find much info about it, but a 40x optical zoom is pretty good for a HD camcorder, because most HD camcorders is about 20X, due to the fact that the lens have to be more tolerant with HD.

thanks for the info anyway,

Adrian

Standard User 4M2
(member) Mon 21-Feb-11 01:16:11
Print Post

Adrian,

You could also use several of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-SDHC-Class-Flash-M... - the camcorder battery may not last much longer than 40 minutes anyway...

i don't think MPEG_Streamclip supports AVCHD - but give it a try smile

4M2.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 21-Feb-11 13:41:21
Print Post

Adrian,

You could also use several of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-SDHC-Class-Flash-M... - the camcorder battery may not last much longer than 40 minutes anyway...

I think it may be better to get a few smaller ones, a couple of 16Gb would be ok, as I said I have to try it out first before I spend money.
The battery on my old JVC would last for a hour and that is running a Hard drive, so This new camera should last a bit longer as the only motor is for the zoom, I suppose it depends on the size of the battery mAh wise.

Maybe I should have gone for a HDD based camcorder, but they are getting few and far between and the ones that are available are pretty expensive and don;t seem to have the specs that this camera I am getting have. I did see a JVC with 120GB hard drive for £300, and I suppose by the time I paid out for memory cards I would not be far off that price, but the optical zoom is not as good and it will be a bit more bulky because of the drive.

My old JCV is pretty bulky, don't get me wrong for a SD camcorder it takes some good video, but it not that good in dull light. My mates JVc which is almost the same as my old one but a newer version is a lot better in dull light.

the one thing I am not fond of on the new JVC cameras is the so called laser control, which is a touch sensitive panel on the side of the screen. i find it is too sensitive. My old JVC have a small joystick, which works well.

As I been typing this message i was having a look to see if I could get some more info on the camcorder, I at last found the manual on the JVC site. at least it now gives me some idea what it can do and how to use it.

It have been dispatched, so hopefully it will be here soon.
My working hours are getting in the way over the next few days, so I will not be able to give it a true test, but if it come before Friday I got Friday off, so I can give it a test.

40 mins life for battery, and no silly laser control, just normal buttons for the menu.

i don't think MPEG_Streamclip supports AVCHD - but give it a try smile

4M2.

Adrian

Standard User 4M2
(member) Mon 21-Feb-11 16:06:22
Print Post

Adrian,

I'm certain the camcorder will be fine if used in good light - not sure about it's manual settings but don't allow any gain otherwise you may get a lot of picture noise.

I would go back to miniDV tape if I could find a used Canon XH-A1 going cheap smile

Although the HD JVC camcorder, that you are buying, mentions 1080p in the spec I think that may only apply to HDMI out and you may find that it records interlaced 25fps 1080 or maybe 1080 25PsF (25p in a 50i container.) If it does record progressive that's great, PsF is also great because Vegas can stitch the fields back together, but 50i (25fps interlaced) could cause problems with de-interlacing should you need to do it - basically Vegas doesn't deinterlace very well frown

4M2.

Edited by 4M2 (Mon 21-Feb-11 16:09:19)

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 21-Feb-11 23:55:44
Print Post

Adrian,

I'm certain the camcorder will be fine if used in good light - not sure about it's manual settings but don't allow any gain otherwise you may get a lot of picture noise.

It got two chances, picture is the problem I got with my old camcorder in dull light.

I would go back to miniDV tape if I could find a used Canon XH-A1 going cheap smile

I got a Canon MVX250I mini Dv camcorder, it took some great videos, but it now got a problem, the computer don't recognise the firewire, it don;t matter what computer and if the camcorder is left on for more than a few mins it gets pretty hot, not warm, but hot.
something is shorting on it. I may take it in and get a local repair shop to have a look at it. they sorted my brothers out when the Cmos chip went and for a pretty decent price.

The canon is not HD, but it still took good quality video and in dull light it was great. The only problem with MiniDv is the transfer from camcorder to computer.

With non-tape based camcorders it is easier to transfer, but saying that my old JCV uses mod files, they are Mpeg2, when Vegas pulls them in it thinks they are 4:3 and the only way I can sort it out is to use a bit of software that renames the files and stick a 16:9 flag in, it is called Sd copy.

There is no doubt a easier way, but I am still learning, and would love to more with video , it is just getting the time.

Although the HD JVC camcorder, that you are buying, mentions 1080p in the spec I think that may only apply to HDMI out and you may find that it records interlaced 25fps 1080 or maybe 1080 25PsF (25p in a 50i container.) If it does record progressive that's great, PsF is also great because Vegas can stitch the fields back together, but 50i (25fps interlaced) could cause problems with de-interlacing should you need to do it - basically Vegas doesn't deinterlace very well frown

4M2.

so how do I know if it records at 1080P? I have seen some shots from the one below it at 720P and they looked impressive, or as impressive as You tube can make them.

Adrian

Standard User 4M2
(member) Tue 22-Feb-11 00:45:25
Print Post

Adrian,

Hope you can get your Canon MVX250I fixed.

With the SD JVC .mod files you just set the Vegas project properties by typing in 1024 for width and 576 for height and select pixel aspect ratio 1.0000 (square). Then right click on all the selected clips on the timeline and select "switches" and uncheck "maintain aspect ratio" if it happens to be checked. Lastly when you render check "stretch video to fill output frame size..." This will give you a 16:9 video with square pixels suitable for uploading to YouTube etc.

Regarding 1080p and the HD JVC camcoder, Vegas will tell you whether it shoots progressive or interlaced if you select clip properties from either the project media pane or from the timeline.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to