Technical Discussion
  >> Digital Photography, Video and Graphics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User TLM
(legend) Tue 27-Sep-11 16:47:10
Print Post

Anyone happen to have Olympus E-PL1?

[link to this post]

Right, this has been driving me nuts ever since I got it! How do you turn face-detection OFF in auto mode? Is it even possible?

I actively dislike portrait photography. So there is no reason ever to have face detection on. I can switch it off in the manual modes (aperture priority, shutter priority, or manual). But not when the camera is on auto.

This may seem no big deal; after all, if I'm not photographing faces, it won't matter, will it?

But it does! If there is any vaguely round "blob" in the shot, it identifies it as a face, and tries to focus on it. Even if it's not the main object of interest in the shot. Which results in wrong focus. For example, I've had clocks on buildings picked out as a "face" (I suppose it is, of a sort).

Must I either live with this, or learn not to use Auto any more?

The manual doesn't help at all.

Tina
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 27-Sep-11 21:08:55
Print Post

Re: Anyone happen to have Olympus E-PL1?

[re: TLM] [link to this post]

This seems to suggest you can't in iAuto mode, but you can in Program AE mode http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/olympu...

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User TLM
(legend) Tue 27-Sep-11 21:30:40
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

That really seems to be just a reproduction of bits of the manual, but with added illustrations.

The manual doesn't expressly say it's not possible (or if it does, I haven't found it yet). In fact, it implies it is possible, because it doesn't list any specific exceptions to the instructions for turning it off.

It's only when you try to do it that you find it doesn't seem possible.

It was one of the first things I wanted to do - and the first thing I couldn't. frown

I know auto mode is supposed to mean you don't have to adjust the settings yourself. But it seems a bit literal if you can't even turn off face-recognition. It might well be useful to have the camera decide aperture and shutter for you. But it's not useful to have it decide what's a face and what's not - especially when it gets it wrong.

I can't believe there's no way to tell it not to bother.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 27-Sep-11 21:39:54
Print Post

[re: TLM] [link to this post]

The bit I was referring to is where it says "in Program AE mode ... this mode is also automatic"

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User TLM
(legend) Tue 27-Sep-11 21:43:52
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Yes, you can turn it off in every mode except Auto, apparently - which is the one I'm interested in.
  Print Thread

Jump to