Technical Discussion
  >> Digital Photography, Video and Graphics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Basenji
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 17-Jan-12 22:05:46
Print Post

Lens cleaning help - Smudge on a EOS 1100D lens

[link to this post]

Hi folks,

I got myself a EOS1100D a couple of weeks ago and lent it to a friend, who wanted to take some pics of their kids, but when I got it back, I found there's a small (about 1-1.5cm) smudge on the lens, at approximately 7 o'clock. frown

I have never cleaned a lens before, so would appreciate any help here - I've checked youtube, but to be honest, I don't feel confident in doing it myself. frown If I take the lens to my local Jessops store and buy the relevant kit, will they clean the lens for me?

Many thanks. smile

Nothing to see here.. Move along, please
My Broadband Speed Test laugh

Edited by Basenji (Tue 17-Jan-12 22:10:46)

Standard User jimholder
(newbie) Wed 18-Jan-12 09:21:20
Print Post

Re: Lens cleaning help - Smudge on a EOS 1100D lens

[re: Basenji] [link to this post]

Is it a smudge on the outside of the lens? Buy a lens cleaning cloth and rocket blower. Blow away any dust breathe on the lens and polish clean. The glass is quite robust, you just need to make certain there is no microscopic solid matter between cloth and lens. Do not go to Jessops unless where you live it is manned by photographers. Take a look at http://photography-on-the.net/forum/search.php?searc... You'll be most welcome there!
Standard User radiomarko
(experienced) Wed 18-Jan-12 09:43:25
Print Post

If you are in the habit of loaning I recommend fitting a UV lens filter (buy a quality item not a £10 cheapo), protects the lens front element. Other people may not be as careful as you are with your camera!

-.-. --.-
BT ADSL2+, online since 1987. Macintosh OS X Tiger, Snow Leopard, Ubuntu. Dreambox fun.
Advanced Radio Amateur Licence and an anorak.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Basenji
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 18-Jan-12 11:41:25
Print Post

[re: radiomarko] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by radiomarko:
If you are in the habit of loaning I recommend fitting a UV lens filter (buy a quality item not a £10 cheapo), protects the lens front element. Other people may not be as careful as you are with your camera!
Thanks for that advice. I'm not "in the habit" of loaning my kit; I was simply helping a friend out of a tight spot. Nonetheless, lesson learned.

Standard User Basenji
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 18-Jan-12 11:49:11
Print Post

[re: jimholder] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jimholder:
Is it a smudge on the outside of the lens? Buy a lens cleaning cloth and rocket blower. Blow away any dust breathe on the lens and polish clean. The glass is quite robust, you just need to make certain there is no microscopic solid matter between cloth and lens. Do not go to Jessops unless where you live it is manned by photographers. Take a look at http://photography-on-the.net/forum/search.php?searc... You'll be most welcome there!
Hi there,

Yes, the smudge is on the outside of the front lens; a smallish fingerprint type mark, which, as I stated in my OP, is about 1-1.5cm across and positioned at about 7 o'clock on the lens surface.
From what I can tell from doing a few test shots, the smudge doesn't seem to affect the lens - I've taken a few pics and blown them up on screen to very high percentages in GIMP and preview and to my eye at least, there's no noticeable deterioration in IQ.
That having been said, I still think the lens would benefit from a thorough cleaning, just to err on the side of caution.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any other camera shops in my vicinity, so Jessops will have to suffice in this instance. Your link wouldn't let me view any search matches. frown

Thanks for your help - It is greatly appreciated. smile

Standard User git
(experienced) Fri 20-Jan-12 12:43:23
Print Post

Good advice if you are not confident cleaning your kit, tend to use it in dusty environments, or you just enjoy piece of mind.
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 20-Jan-12 13:07:35
Print Post

Too much cleaning may damage your lenses by removing anti-glare coatings and causing micro-scratches. These will degrade image quality far more than the odd smudge or bit of dust, and the effects are permanent. Smudges towards the edge of a lens will have very little effect on image quality. Clean your lenses only when absolutely necessary and protect them with filters (and lens caps) at all times.

I use isopropyl alcohol and lens tissues to clean my lenses. You should be able to get both from a decent chemist. Wet the lens with alcohol and drag the edge of a tissue across the lens to collect the alcohol and dissolved dirt. Never clean a lens with the surface of a tissue. I have yet to clean the lenses for my Pentax K10D. I learnt my lessons the hard way. blush

______________________________________________________________________________________________
'Sir, please,' she said... 'Will you not share your wisdom with us?'
'I have no wisdom,' he told her.
'Your experiences, then?'
'They have been trivial, uninteresting, and full of error.'
Iain M. Banks -- Feersum Endjinn
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts

Edited by micksharpe (Fri 20-Jan-12 13:19:08)

Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 20-Jan-12 13:29:16
Print Post

A UV is one solution, but it is suggested that it can have an adverse effect. I tend to use the Protector filters - which are plain glass and marginally cheaper with Hoya Pro 1 Protector at around £25 and UV nearly £30.

The only one of mine which I have not changed is a 400-600 zoom which still has an S1B as the cost of a Protector is around £150 and UV even more!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 27-Jan-12 21:14:30
Print Post

See here http://www.warehouseexpress.com/lcd-and-lens-cleanin...

Plenty to choose from.

Steve

o2 Premium
Peak download 15.24MiB/s
Peak upload 905 KiB/s
Standard User Basenji
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 27-Jan-12 21:52:06
Print Post

[re: blfamily] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by blfamily:
See here http://www.warehouseexpress.com/lcd-and-lens-cleanin...

Plenty to choose from.
Hi there,
Thanks for the link. smile Bookmarked for future reference. smile

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to