Technical Discussion
  >> Digital Photography, Video and Graphics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Littleseen
(learned) Sun 22-Jan-12 10:30:24
Print Post

non-incremental file numbers

[link to this post]

Not sure if this correct forum?

Wife & I both have same experience on our seperate pc's & I believe it to be a new problem created by the spread of iPhone camera phones?

In pour the family fotos as attachments to Outlook Express messages. Normally we simply click on Save and job done (saved to folder called <Dump> from whence they can be extracted later)

But now, and it happens a lot, Windows XP informs us that these file names/numbers already exist and asks do we wish to overwrite them? I have not been able to change the file names/numbers at this stage....

So I now have to create a special one-off folder and a new route for the Save. Afterwards, when saved, I can change the file id's, it is all awfully tedious and in Ye Olden Dayes it didn't have to be done. Is the fault ours? What is the answer?

Should the owners of these camera phones have their settings changed to fully-incremental numbering? If that is the way to go can the average camera-phone owner comprehend such?

Obscurity is a comfortable cloak
Standard User JPL
(member) Mon 23-Jan-12 10:27:18
Print Post

Re: non-incremental file numbers

[re: Littleseen] [link to this post]

Use DIM to rename all your photo files by date-time taken.

http://www.alanlight.com/dim/Dim.htm

JPL
Standard User jhurrell
(experienced) Tue 24-Jan-12 13:25:32
Print Post

This could surely happen with any identical devices - cameras, phones etc... not just iPhones...?

And this would still have happened in the "olden days" if people with identical devices or devices that used the same image naming convention happened to send you images with identical names... Windows is just telling you that a file with the same name already exists in that folder, which is just normal.

I guess a few years ago digital cameras/camera phones weren't so prevalent, so the chances of two people sending you images named identically were much, much less... these days camera devices are almost ubiquitous and so the chances of this happening are greatly increased.

Just empty your "dump" folder before you save the images from Outlook Express - surely the quickest fix? I have a similar system - download to a temp folder and then move to a more permanent home.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 24-Jan-12 14:36:30
Print Post

[re: jhurrell] [link to this post]

I almost responded with the same but then wondered how the iPhone does it's file naming. It may just take the latest photo number it has stored and increment by 1. If that is the case then if you delete the last 10 photos then numbering could well start back at an earlier point - therefore using the same numbers as previously used.

But then even on "proper" cameras they often use numbering up to 999 and then may start back at 001. Or, some default to restarting the numbering if you format the memory card.

You definitely can't count on sequential numbering on cameras - some may do it consistently but others won't.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 24-Jan-12 17:18:58
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Pentax do it properly ! and go up to at least 9999 and I can set the first four characters to my choice.

On my Nokia phone the images are saved as ddMMYYYYqqq.jpg so you get the date and a sequential number which does not decrement on deletion. This means that in almost every case there will not be clashes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-Feb-12 05:18:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by Littleseen:
..... Normally we simply click on Save and job done.....

Try "Save As" instead and name them something sensible. It could be something really simple such as sticking a "0" in front of the filename; eg 001.jpg gets saved as 0001.jpg etc. Senders name and date (fred-2012-02-06.jpg) or similar may be a better format if you're likely to end up with lots of files.
  Print Thread

Jump to