Technical Discussion
  >> Digital Photography, Video and Graphics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Basenji
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 25-Jan-12 19:02:34
Print Post

Suggest a camera case please :)

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I'm planning a week to Prague at the end of March and will be taking my EOS 1100D, 18-55mm and also a 55-250mm lens with me, but I'd like some suggestions on cases which will allow me to store this kit, along with 2 batteries and UV filters and also be not too cumbersome to lug around with me, spoiling my touristy enjoyment.

What case would you nice folks suggest?

Thanks in advance. laugh

Nothing to see here.. Move along, please
My Broadband Speed Test laugh
Standard User john2007
(legend) Wed 25-Jan-12 23:01:12
Print Post

Re: Suggest a camera case please :)

[re: Basenji] [link to this post]

I use a Tamrac backpack. e.g. http://www.tamrac.co.uk/pages/aerobp.html

I actually have the Adventure 7 http://www.tamrac.co.uk/pages/product3.htm

Edited by john2007 (Wed 25-Jan-12 23:10:39)

Standard User git
(experienced) Thu 26-Jan-12 02:07:39
Print Post

I use a lowepro. Now due to finding out that my previous camera bag's strap was irrevocably broken the day before heading to the airport I had to accept whatever they had in town, and as a result have a kit bag that you could smuggle Prague back through customs in if you so wanted, but I'm sure they do smaller. Build quality is great, strap is comfortable and well designed, webbing pockets on the ends are great for easy access to maps, bottles of water and cigarrettes, the inside is well protected, easy to segregate as you want, and it has exactly the right number of pockets (lots) both inside and out, and the built-in pull-out waterproof cover that lives inside its own pocket until needed is a great feature.

BTW if you do go with a larger bag on top of a body and 4 lenses they can also accomadate a guide book, all your chargers etc, your travel documents and 3 days clothing...

There are cheaper available, but its quite possible that this bag is the most reliable thing I've ever owned. It's been dragged through some of the dirtiest and wettest parts of several continents, and actually still looks quite new. I'm vaguely considering upgrading my camera in the near future, but it has never crossed my mind to change the camera bag.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bcma
(newbie) Thu 26-Jan-12 11:21:22
Print Post

I also use a Lowepro, Nova 180 AW, Its a great bag easily holding my Nikon DSLR plus 3 or 4 lenses, spare battery, SD cards etc. Good reviews for it too.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 26-Jan-12 15:11:13
Print Post

I like Billingham bags: http://www.billingham.co.uk/acatalog/Billingham_Bags...

Mine is around 18 years old and is still in great condition. It has travelled the world; hot, cold, wet dry, underground, on glaciers, and still looks great.

They may not look "trendy" but the build quality and after sales service (not that I have need it) is excellent and there is a life time guarantee for failure or repair service if it just "wears out".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Basenji
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 26-Jan-12 19:15:47
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
I like Billingham bags: http://www.billingham.co.uk/acatalog/Billingham_Bags...

Mine is around 18 years old and is still in great condition. It has travelled the world; hot, cold, wet dry, underground, on glaciers, and still looks great.

They may not look "trendy" but the build quality and after sales service (not that I have need it) is excellent and there is a life time guarantee for failure or repair service if it just "wears out".
Hi there,
Thanks for your suggestion. The bags are nice. smile But unfortunately, my budget won't stretch to a £200+ case. frown

Standard User Basenji
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 26-Jan-12 19:17:13
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by john2007:
I use a Tamrac backpack. e.g. http://www.tamrac.co.uk/pages/aerobp.html

I actually have the Adventure 7 http://www.tamrac.co.uk/pages/product3.htm
Hi there,
Thanks for your suggestion. smile Unfortunately those are a little too big for my purpose. frown

Standard User Basenji
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 26-Jan-12 19:18:58
Print Post

[re: bcma] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bcma:
I also use a Lowepro, Nova 180 AW, Its a great bag easily holding my Nikon DSLR plus 3 or 4 lenses, spare battery, SD cards etc. Good reviews for it too.
Hi there,
Thanks for your suggestion. smile I've had a little look at the Nova 180AW and to be honest, it looks like everything I'll need and more. smile Now I just have to find one at a price that doesn't bruise the pocket too much. wink

Standard User Basenji
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 26-Jan-12 19:21:32
Print Post

[re: git] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by git:
I use a lowepro. Now due to finding out that my previous camera bag's strap was irrevocably broken the day before heading to the airport I had to accept whatever they had in town, and as a result have a kit bag that you could smuggle Prague back through customs in if you so wanted, but I'm sure they do smaller. Build quality is great, strap is comfortable and well designed, webbing pockets on the ends are great for easy access to maps, bottles of water and cigarrettes, the inside is well protected, easy to segregate as you want, and it has exactly the right number of pockets (lots) both inside and out, and the built-in pull-out waterproof cover that lives inside its own pocket until needed is a great feature.

BTW if you do go with a larger bag on top of a body and 4 lenses they can also accomadate a guide book, all your chargers etc, your travel documents and 3 days clothing...

There are cheaper available, but its quite possible that this bag is the most reliable thing I've ever owned. It's been dragged through some of the dirtiest and wettest parts of several continents, and actually still looks quite new. I'm vaguely considering upgrading my camera in the near future, but it has never crossed my mind to change the camera bag.
Hi there,
Thanks for your suggestion. I think I will be getting the 180AW. smile All I need to do now is scour fleabay and see if I can get a good deal on a BIN price. wink

Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 26-Jan-12 19:47:08
Print Post

That's similar to my thoughts back in '92 just before a 15 day trip to Japan. In the end I finally decided it was ideal and if I got 5-10 years it would be a good buy. I has probably got another 10!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to