Technical Discussion
  >> Digital Photography, Video and Graphics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 09-May-12 10:14:03
Print Post

Camcorder with time lapse?

[link to this post]

This is just an exploratory query at the moment, the requirement is far from certain as yet.

Does anyone know of a camcorder, not more that about £500 and preferably HD, that can do time lapse photography?

Doesn't have to be off its own battery, it can be mains powered, but obviously needs a tripod mount.

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User metalhead41
(knowledge is power) Wed 09-May-12 10:25:47
Print Post

Re: Camcorder with time lapse?

[re: billford] [link to this post]

If it suits your needs, check out the GoPro HD Hero2 - that does time lapse, however, it is on the small side so doesn't have a lot of features that a bigger camcorder has...

Here's a guide to do the time lapse with the GoPro

----------------------------------------------------
We may be human But we're still animals

My Blog | follow me @metalhead41 | Surfin' Bird Dance
Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 09-May-12 10:55:14
Print Post

[re: metalhead41] [link to this post]

The size is only a problem insofar as it's likely to get lost at the bottom of the camera bag tongue

And as you imply it's a bit basic, especially optically... but it's not expensive (tho' VAT and import duty won't help) so I'll put it on the list as a possible, thanks smile

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User robvxr
(newbie) Wed 09-May-12 11:07:23
Print Post

I've done a few timelapses at uni. I use the video function on my Canon 600d and record for a few hours, then increase the speed of the video in premiere. Any 1080p HD camera will do a decent job, it's all in the post processing really to make it smooth.

BTBroadband

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 09-May-12 11:52:54
Print Post

What do you want to do?

1 frame or a short video clip every few minutes/hours?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 09-May-12 12:01:17
Print Post

[re: robvxr] [link to this post]

My 40D doesn't have a video mode, and I don't want to buy another DSLR!

I could control it from the computer and stitch a series of stills together with QuickTime, but I'd prefer not to be tied to a computer... I'd much rather the camera could take stills at pre-selected intervals until I told it to stop. I'd also prefer the camera to stitch them together so I just had to download an mpeg movie from it, but I suspect that may be asking a lot frown

Bill
Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 09-May-12 12:03:12
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Single frame at intervals from a second or so up to a few minutes should cover it. Keep going until I tell it to stop or it runs out of memory smile

Bill
Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 09-May-12 12:19:32
Print Post

Does your DSLR not do that? Then use an editing programme to create the video ... I have done it several times using my Pentax and if I save as a medium quality JPG I can get a few thousand on the card.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 09-May-12 12:31:16
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Does your DSLR not do that?
No; it's got a couple of continuous shooting modes (~3 or ~7fps) but they're not adjustable and you have to hold the shutter release down for as long as you want to shoot.

But I don't really want to mess about using the DSLR, all I want is a half-way decent camcorder that can take a still at presettable intervals without being tied to a computer, it's not a lot to ask is it? crazy

Bill
Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Wed 09-May-12 12:46:21
Print Post

a simple app on a smartphone might do what you want.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to