Technical Discussion
  >> Digital Photography, Video and Graphics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User meldrew
(experienced) Fri 06-Jul-12 11:22:48
Print Post

Compact Camera Settings and Sharpness

[link to this post]

I recently acquired a surplus Samsung D1070 compact camera from another member of the family.

It is 10.2 Mp with options to set for 7Mp and 5Mp. Each of these settings has a further option of Normal, Fine. superfine. Generally I have used 7Mp and Fine but the image quality at 100% on a computer screen is poor.

The pixel size seems to offer bigger prints but the most I would want is A4 and most likely on a screen. Superfine seems to make the quality even worse.

Is there an "optimum" setting for this sort of camera or do I just bin it?! Although not as flexible, my HTC Wildfire phone takes better pictures!

TVM for advice

Meldrew
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Fri 06-Jul-12 12:08:17
Print Post

Re: Compact Camera Settings and Sharpness

[re: meldrew] [link to this post]

Rightly or wrongly I've always set my various digital cameras to take pictures at the highest quality. Can always down-pixel in the computer, but up-pixelling is less practical or effective.

Sure, the pictures take more space on the camera card and PC hard drive but, in my opinion, that is a small price to pay for the best possible quality.

Tony
Standard User qasdfdsaq
(member) Fri 06-Jul-12 13:51:37
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

Indeed, and the various algorithms that are used destructively in-camera to downsize and interpolate may not be the best as they have to be done in real-time on a mobile processor. You're better off saving full quality and doing any work later on on a proper computer that can do the job better.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User meldrew
(experienced) Fri 06-Jul-12 16:06:24
Print Post

[re: qasdfdsaq] [link to this post]

Thanks for advice. Feel like a newer compact is required but I never like throwing things away that work!

Have gone for 10Mp, Fine and shrink with Photoshop Elements. Have taken photos of bare housebricks to test but in this weather not sure if better or worse!

TVM
Meldrew
Standard User FelixTCat
(committed) Sat 07-Jul-12 07:27:37
Print Post

Check that the ISO setting, if adjustable, is as low as possible. The sensor size on compact cameras is so small that the pictures are very noisy in anything but good light.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 10-Jul-12 14:52:24
Print Post

Try some comparisons: Set teh camera to a fixed ISO - say 200 and place it on a table or tripod and do not move it.

Take a picture of the wall with a small post-it note in one corner which has the number of pixels and compression setting.

Start at 10.2 Mp and Superfine, change to Fine, then Normal. Then drop to 7Mp at Superfine, Fine and Normal and finally three more at 5Mp.

Then look at each picture on full screen and see what difference there are.

Also, try taking the 10Mp and down converting it on your PC to 0.707x pixels on width and height. Save that at Max (12) resolution and then compare it to a 5Mp image.

As others have said - always use the best you can on te camera - it is easy to shrink an image size but impossible to improve the resolution.

With my DSLR I always save in RAW+JPEG and go for a medium resolution JPEG - the reasons being that it saves a little space on the memory card (but slighty slower tosave) and is a quick and easy way to review the content or give copies to people without having to bring up either Photoshop of SlikyPix but I can create high resolution and high quality JPEGs later if I need to.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User meldrew
(experienced) Tue 10-Jul-12 19:47:11
Print Post

[re: FelixTCat] [link to this post]

Good idea to write test settings on post it note! Have managed a few test shots but quality of daylight (July!) leaves a lot to be desired.

Need some shrunk to 640 x 480 shots of wife's car for Autotrader so hoping the sun will come out soon! If the car sells she might siphon off a few quid for a 4/3 camera with a viewfinder. The next test is to compare with my old Fuji 7Mp bridge camera which subjectively seems better quality.

TVM again
Meldrew
Standard User herbgold
(member) Wed 11-Jul-12 08:42:20
Print Post

There's also a very subjective component to this, as you hinted at in your latest post. Contrast and brightness have a big part to play, independent of resolution.

Edited by herbgold (Wed 11-Jul-12 08:42:46)

Standard User meldrew
(experienced) Fri 13-Jul-12 12:24:55
Print Post

[re: herbgold] [link to this post]

The sun came out yesterday so I went off to an empty local park and took car photos with both cameras. Without boring you all to death the 7mp Fuji was subjectively far and away the better photo than the 10mp compact Samsung.

Reduced the sizes myself with Elements for the advert which looks OK to me. Now waiting by phone.......!!

TVM
Meldrew
  Print Thread

Jump to