Technical Discussion
  >> Digital Photography, Video and Graphics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Fri 10-Aug-12 22:01:20
Print Post

Panasonic DVD/HDD recorder: Splitting a long recording

[link to this post]

On my Panasonic DMR-EX87EB DVD/HDD recorder I have a 6 hour recording which I want to get 2 parts, of about 1.5 hours each, onto DVDs. The segments weren't adjacent. I also wanted to keep all the material in the recording.

I first thought of making a copy of the whole programme on the HDD, editing out the unwanted parts, and copying to DVD. Then repeating that for the second part. But I couldn't see a way of making a copy on the HDD.

After browsing the manual I found the 'Divide Title' feature. With that I manage to split the 6 hour recording into 4 parts with parts 2 and 4 having the material I wanted to copy to DVD. Clearly now the original 6 hour recording is no longer a 6 hour recording but is now 4 separate 'titles'.

Was that the only way of achieving my goal?

Were there alternative ways of doing this sort of thing?

Tony
Standard User FelixTCat
(committed) Sun 12-Aug-12 11:11:59
Print Post

Re: Panasonic DVD/HDD recorder: Splitting a long recording

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

In these circumstances, I usually use the Partial Delete process to remove the parts I don't want (e.g. adverts). This leaves 1 file of the wanted parts. That can then be saved to DVD in any way I choose, e.g. reduced quality to fit 1 DVD or divided to fit 2 or more DVDs.
Standard User Daniel_g
(committed) Sun 12-Aug-12 15:00:08
Print Post

Got the older or newer model. not sure but looks like same idea on the settings.

You done what I would have done, seems the best way.

Could then delete the bits you did not want but you say want the lot so no need.

Ok what you done. Panasonic do find the features a bit hard to find but when worked out, Even me that is normally pretty good was forced to look at the manual a few times, all ok when get your head around what is there and what can be done.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(knowledge is power) Sun 12-Aug-12 15:29:50
Print Post

[re: FelixTCat] [link to this post]

To get 6 hours of recording, after deleting unwanted stuff, onto 1 DVD is compromising quality just a bit too much I feel.

Tony
(knowledge is power) Sun 12-Aug-12 16:00:22
Print Post

[re: Daniel_g] [link to this post]

I've now also found that, possibly, I could have achieved it by splitting the original recording into Chapters. Then creating a Playlist of 1 or more chapters, then copying to DVD using the playlist.

I think...

The only downside I can see at the moment is the comment in the manual says that when creating a chapter "A short portion of the title just after the creation point may be lost." Though it doesn't say how short (or long) that may be.

Tony
Standard User Daniel_g
(committed) Sun 12-Aug-12 16:28:42
Print Post

Did not know that, me not reading the manuall properly then.

Looks like you will learn more than me. Still it does what I want and when doing the camcorder editing on the computer to cut the rubbish out the title and fade start and end and scenes inbetween I then record to a DVD rewritable when editing done.

copy the DVD rewritable to the HHD of the panasonic thing. Thencopy back to the unfinalsed DVD and when the 2 hours or so is used and no more room for the next edited thing we produce, finalise so works on all DVD players.

Got dad the freeview HD/ bluray recorder so up a model from what you and I have, his newer bluray recorder was less than my DVD thing, newer and gets cheaper, always the way when range changes lie the panasonic tellys we go, mine Dec 201 and his this year, 1/3rd of the price and as good.

got dad the panasonic tv and the freeview/blueray recorder so can play unfinalised camera footage disks.

We have same ish stuff for that reason. and 3d so nice for the olympics and guessing 3d closing thing tonight like the fridays opening 2 weeks ago.

At least you have learnt something new and what to do next time to get the results.

Videos recorders so much easier in the good old days!.
  Print Thread

Jump to