Technical Discussion
  >> Digital Photography, Video and Graphics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User meldrew
(experienced) Sun 30-Sep-12 18:22:29
Print Post

Camera for wife's birthday present?

[link to this post]

I know one can search the web for hours but one essential is a viewfinder. The next essential is quality. Finally, not too big!!

It looks to me like a Panasonic G3. Anybody disagree strongly or offer an alternative??!!

Meldrew
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 30-Sep-12 18:33:00
Print Post

Re: Camera for wife's birthday present?

[re: meldrew] [link to this post]

Ken Rockwell has unbiased reviews (he buys all the kit he reviews.)

You seem to be assuming that she won't want something that she can keep in her handbag.

'Sir, please,' she said ... 'Will you not share your wisdom with us?'
'I have no wisdom,' he told her.
'Your experiences, then?'
'They have been trivial, uninteresting, and full of error.'
Ian M. Banks - Feersum Endjinn
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts
Standard User meldrew
(experienced) Sun 30-Sep-12 20:08:26
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

She keeps a 5mpx phone in her handbag! Previous camera was a Minolta X500 but nowadays only the very enthusiastic take a whole bag of kit around with them. I'll check your link.

TVM
Meldrew

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 30-Sep-12 20:38:14
Print Post

I would be wary of cameras with "digital viewfinders". These are just LCD panels that you look at through a magnifying lens and will not have the full resolution of the sensor. Forget about manual focus with such systems.

'Sir, please,' she said ... 'Will you not share your wisdom with us?'
'I have no wisdom,' he told her.
'Your experiences, then?'
'They have been trivial, uninteresting, and full of error.'
Ian M. Banks - Feersum Endjinn
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts
Standard User herbgold
(member) Sun 30-Sep-12 22:41:18
Print Post

I lust after a Fuji X10 - retro-styled, quite small, proper optical viewfinder, handles beautifully.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x10
Standard User meldrew
(experienced) Mon 01-Oct-12 20:01:21
Print Post

[re: herbgold] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by herbgold:
I lust after a Fuji X10 - retro-styled, quite small, proper optical viewfinder, handles beautifully.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x10

No point in lusting! Put it on your credid card and do a balance transfer at 0%!

Seriously this one could be a good choice with a good viewfinder. To us any viewfinder is a bonus with bright sun behind making most LCD screens impossible to see at arms length. How this became the view of choice is beyond me.

Will take her shopping towards the weekend - If I fail on this is might have to be a Loewe handbag.......

Meldrew
Standard User RobFlet
(experienced) Mon 01-Oct-12 21:34:03
Print Post

I have a Fuji Hs-10 which I really like. 30X zoom on it (28mm - 720mm equivalent). Takes good pictures, and once you go to manual, you can improve on the auto modes as well. The video (full HD + stereo sound) is also pretty useful at times (never thought it would be, but there you go!) . Latest version is the HS-30, but I reckon you could get HS-20 cheaper than HS-30 (the 20 and 30 models use the EXR sensor types (better than my HS-10).

Still a bridge camera, so you don't get the choice or quality of glass of a full DSLR.

But I stick a Raynox 1.54X on the front and get 1100mm equivalent from it, and can shoot great tele stuff! Macro modes very good too - down to 1cm!

Hope this is useful

Rob

1999 Freeserve Dial up --> Freeserve Anytime ---> 2005 Wanadoo 512k BB ---> Jul 2009 Orange up 8 Megs(hah!) --> Nov 2009 O2 LLU -> Nov 2011 BT Infinity( getting 64 megs now on ethernet via TPlink homeplug 200's)

Dual Yamaha AW16G user using MIDI MMC for 16 tracks
Red5Audio Microphones

FujiFilm HS-10 User
Standard User Aliturk
(experienced) Thu 04-Oct-12 02:50:00
Print Post

Actually digital viewfinders have come on leaps and bounds. They're not bad at all these days and very useful for photographing where bright sunlight would hit the main display, or for those who feel more comfortable bringing the camera to the eye

The camera gets a reasonable review here

Edited by Aliturk (Thu 04-Oct-12 02:50:53)

Standard User Lazza
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 04-Oct-12 20:02:13
Print Post

[re: Aliturk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Aliturk:
Actually digital viewfinders have come on leaps and bounds. They're not bad at all these days and very useful for photographing where bright sunlight would hit the main display, or for those who feel more comfortable bringing the camera to the eye

The camera gets a reasonable review here

Indeed, the Lumix G3 has an excellent EVF and if you look around you should be able to pick one up at a bargain price now the G5 has been launched. £329 with the 14-42mm ? laugh -

http://www.parkcameras.com/24317/Panasonic-DMC-G3-wi...

EVF's are the future so we'd all best get used to them really, I can say from my experience of the Sony NEX-7 that it also really helps getting the right exposure too as what you see through a good EVF is pretty much what you will get.

The Fuji X10 is a great little compact but if you are considering it handle one first because frankly the optical VF is not that great. The Lumix G3 is a far superior camera in every respect especially that EVF.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Lazza (Thu 04-Oct-12 20:07:44)

Standard User meldrew
(experienced) Fri 05-Oct-12 12:15:01
Print Post

[re: RobFlet] [link to this post]

TVM All. Many useful comments. Have been away for a few days dealing with motherinlaw care home matters and am now back on the case.

Mrs M has been reading a lot of literature and we are going shopping next week (I hope!). She now thinks she might like a quality compact with GPS!!**!! Handy for up an alp in Austria and probably useful for arrival of granddaughter in a couple of weeks time.

Seriously, there do seem a lot of choices that will take very good pictures and we don't do many large prints. In fact most of my framed prints are from 35mm slides and have never done more that A4 with digital. Had a look at the X10 and although technically superb it just did not have the wow factor in the hand.

There has been comment recently about how useful this forum is. I would perhaps say that we keep a lot of thoughts to ourselves and don't raise enough discussion as we are afraid of being repetitive or lacking knowledge. I know if I listen to advice I have only myself to criticise when a choice is made.

Maybe she might like an iPad instead.....!!!???

Meldrew
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to