Technical Discussion
  >> Digital Photography, Video and Graphics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 08-Oct-12 20:19:17
Print Post

Question on camera upgrades

[link to this post]

Canon S3IS of six years age and tempted to upgrade but look at new stuff and never really sure.

A short list of three
Canon SX40HS - winner on price and know controls and the slow mo might get used
Sony HX200V- 1080 50p, panoramic and seems a good camera - current preferred
Panasonic FZ150 - does not excite on price or features, but seems a reasonable one

Don't want hassle of multiple lenses but want the various video features. What I hope for is that without carting lots of lights around the better noise performance of these cameras and stabilisation might reduce number of slightly blurred, usually know when so just shoot a second shot anyway, and discard afterwards.

WIth the SX50HS launching am tempted to wait and see if the SX40HS drops to the magic £200 price point. Max price is the £330 area.

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/stowe/index.htm is a sample of what I manage to do now, mixed in with the odd macro and family stuff

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 08-Oct-12 20:50:03
Print Post

Re: Question on camera upgrades

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I wouldn't recommend the Panasonic for shooting video in low light conditions - picture noise could be an issue in dark areas of the frame. Excellent in good light though with all the picture settings set to neutral. Sharpening of still images best done with an editing app rather than in camera...

Locking focus and exposure is essential when shooting video since the camera is very fast to react to changes in light and subject when in auto mode - continuous auto focus is good however if the subject is kept in the centre of the frame but exposure should still be locked.

Editing AVCHD could be a problem though - easiest thing is to use MPEG-2 proxies which can be created with the Panasonic software and replaced on the editing timeline with the original AVCHD files for the final render...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 08-Oct-12 21:01:59
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

The manual focus ring on the Sony looks interesting, as have seen clips of it in action

The panasonic was well down the list, so that is it off the list. Editing is usually Adobe Premier or started playing with iMovie now, as I am on the white side these days

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 08-Oct-12 21:18:57
Print Post

I like the Panasonic because of the full manual control and it would be a great choice for anybody wishing to upgrade to a GH3 at a later stage since the controls are very similar. The FZ could then be used as a second camera if that was the situation.

The Sony's manual focus ring certainly sounds like a very good feature - a much more "natural" way of focusing smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 09-Oct-12 14:04:06
Print Post

Well for better or worse, have ordered the HX200V from Sony clearance outlet, a steal at £250

Hopefully a safer bet than an unknown Hong Kong outlet. Will do some comparisons once I get it.

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 09-Oct-12 14:40:17
Print Post

It's probably a very good choice and gets a favourable review here: http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Sony_Cyber-shot_DS... smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 09-Oct-12 17:15:59
Print Post

Had not spotted that review, but read loads of others.

Apparently it has been dispatched, will go out at weekend and take tripod to do some comparison shots. Have looked on ebay and the S3IS seems to hold up well price wise

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 11-Oct-12 23:57:05
Print Post

Well camera arrived, and initially was not that impressed with first few shots.

Tweaked some settings and done some comparison shots with old S3IS and yes a lot better, the iso performance is pretty good, yes does get noisy at higher settings but a lot better than I was used to. Lots of options to get used to.

Will get tripod out at weekend and venture into garden for decent comparisons.

Have had one bad moment, memory card caused error, but have recorded a lot of HD and stills since formatting it in the camera itself and seems to be OK. The old S3IS had this occassionally, so may have been the memory cards, new larger one is on the way anyway

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Oct-12 00:44:28
Print Post

If you do some tests using aperture priority for stills you may find the "sweet" F stops at varying focal lengths - that should give you an indication of the optimal lens performance in good outdoor light at say ISO 100 smile

Personally I hate to see purple fringing on high contrast edges and with the right camera settings that can be eliminated even when using JPEG compression...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 15-Oct-12 20:38:51
Print Post

Was a busy day at Wakehurst Place, so did not stay in one place to really pay attention to F stop play, have some more manual shots in another batch that I will put up, and include some ISO data for that.

For now some of the creative mode stuff is online at http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/wakehurst-hx200v-edit/
Post effects is obviously the best way, but I never find the time for that usually and the modes are fairly easy to find.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to