Technical Discussion
  >> Digital Photography, Video and Graphics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Littleseen
(regular) Sun 21-Oct-12 10:54:03
Print Post

Tectonic shift of modus operandi

[link to this post]

Until age claimed me I was a freelence commercial photographer doing much what is termed in the trade record photography --- lots of dull but competent photos for purchasers archives and for sale to publishers. I did my own reloads from bulk, my own d&p, all very ordinary and all entirely chemical. I had one of the very first 1/1000sec Pentax Spotmatic (imported by Derek Gardner Ltd) and I stuck with it --- especially when the 38mm Acme thread lost out to bayonet lenses.

I only wish the modern diigital had been available then.

But today's digital camera has hijacked decent photography. We no longer take Photographs with a cap P but we take snaps with a small s

Millions of them. We don't try to avoid backgrounds showing telephone poles sprouting out of the subjects heads, we don't any longer suffer every click of the shutter draining real money out of our pockets --- we bang away and more capable the camera-phone the more tthe world & his wife flood us with truly abysmal-quality snaps.

There has not been a sea-change in photography but a tectonic shift. There is no editiing, no moderation, and precious little quality. Sites are overwhelmed with badly-composed rubbish and we are expected to say "oooh, luvverly" --- few snappers bother to use a digital photo-editor to correct/improve, anything goes, and mighty bad it is.

In a sense the modern digital & especially the camera-phone represents the death of photography.

Anybody care to say "snap" to agree with me?

Obscurity is a comfortable cloak
Standard User Aliturk
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 21-Oct-12 15:35:15
Print Post

Re: Tectonic shift of modus operandi

[re: Littleseen] [link to this post]

I can't agree, you've almost tarred everyone with the same brush. I'm sure there are a lot more photographs being taken these days as digital photography is an extremely cheap hobby. I'm sure that must mean more rubbish photographs.

You don't remember seeing other peoples badly composed and badly exposed holiday snaps, before digital came out, and felt obliged to say "ooh luvverly"?

With the increase in rubbish photographs there must be an increase in stunning, quirky, original and interesting photographs.

I'm sure there's been many a great photograph taken with a Kodak Instamatic and many a bad one taken with a Pentax Spotmatic.

It's not just the amount of photographs that are being taken these days but their accessibility

You're speaking as if an exclusive club has been invaded by common working-class chavs.

I take snaps with a big and small S, and photographs with a big and small P. I don't think i'm unusual.
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Sun 21-Oct-12 15:51:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by Littleseen:
..... few snappers bother to use a digital photo-editor to correct/improve.....

In many circles, that is frowned upon.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Old_Git
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 21-Oct-12 21:54:54
Print Post

My personal concern is how people are driven by powerful marketing strategies to buy a DSLR, and to buy from only two brands. Equally by the pressure to buy or shall we say.. borrow one brand of post process image editing software. There is so much pressure on amateurs to spend money rather than develop skill and imagination.

A sad future.

Print Thread

Jump to