Technical Discussion
  >> Digital Photography, Video and Graphics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Thu 03-Jan-13 23:08:48
Print Post

Camera Accesories - What do you think?

[link to this post]

Well I was a lucky lad at Christmas and got my first 'proper' camera. By proper, I mean not a party camera.

Nikon Coolpix L310

Now I want to add some kit for it. To be honest there's not much to add. There's no option for interchangeable lenses and as far as I know, no option for a remote trigger. I don't mind at all though, as it keeps the potential costs down until I decide if it's a hobby I'll like.

What I do want is a tripod and some decent batteries. I've scoped around and am settling on a Manfrotto tripod (not 100% which one yet, but probably a simple £50-£60 one), 8-12 Eneloop 2400mAh AA batteries and a Maha MH-C9000 charger / analyser.

Anyone had issues or heard of issues with any of the above?

Has anyone used Park Cameras for online purchasing? Good? Bad?

I might want a backpack to carry all that too. Any pointers for a backpack which holds a tripod as well as a camera?

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 03-Jan-13 23:20:39
Print Post

Re: Camera Accesories - What do you think?

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Can't comment on the tripod, but batteries are much of a muchness provided you stick to well-known brands. My Canons use bespoke batteries with the usual Canon pricing, but I've found the Duracell versions work just as well smile

The charger seems a tad expensive- I bought one of these a couple of months ago and it's been fine.

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Thu 03-Jan-13 23:24:48
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Well there's the rub. I'm being guided by reading photography forums, and I'm well aware that the average photo hobbyist spends more than a few coppers on their hobby.

It's certainly one to challenge the price and performance of the Maha. Cheers Bill!

~ Camieabz ~

mod'er·a'tion n.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 03-Jan-13 23:31:12
Print Post

Another thing you might like to think about is a decent flash. I don't know much about Nikons (for largely historical reasons all my kit is Canon) but the pop-up built-in flash units are fairly limited.

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-Jan-13 23:46:50
Print Post

Agreed. A dedicated flash must be your next purchase. They offer so much more flexibility than a built-in flash. Buy a tiltable unit with the highest guide number that you can afford.

'Sir, please,' she said ... 'Will you not share your wisdom with us?'
'I have no wisdom,' he told her.
'Your experiences, then?'
'They have been trivial, uninteresting, and full of error.'
Ian M. Banks - Feersum Endjinn
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts

Edited by micksharpe (Thu 03-Jan-13 23:47:09)

Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 04-Jan-13 00:02:57
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by micksharpe:
Buy a tiltable unit with the highest guide number that you can afford.
The powerful flashguns need care... I've got a SpeedLite 420EX, GN about 140 I think- the first time I used it in low ambient at a target about 25 metres away, the chap sitting next to me thought someone had let a bomb off grin

Bill
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Fri 04-Jan-13 00:19:24
Print Post

Well I'll stick with it for now. The flash seems a little uppity. It does like a 1.5 flash then another flash. Not sure if it's some 'build the light' in the room trick or summat. Tripod first. Not even sure if an external flash is compatible.

~ Camieabz ~

mod'er·a'tion n.

Edited by camieabz (Fri 04-Jan-13 00:19:51)

Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-Jan-13 00:23:16
Print Post

Really heavy-duty units will cost a lot more than the Coolpix. Something like a Sigma EF 610 DG ST should do the business. It also has auto-zoom, which is handy. The flash gun will automatically adjust the spread and throw of the light to match the focal length setting of the camera's lens. It won't cover the whole focal range of the L310 but then you don't tend to use flash with telephoto lenses.

@Camie: If you decide to go for a flash unit, you will need to make sure that it is compatible with the L310 and that its capabilities match those of the camera.

'Sir, please,' she said ... 'Will you not share your wisdom with us?'
'I have no wisdom,' he told her.
'Your experiences, then?'
'They have been trivial, uninteresting, and full of error.'
Ian M. Banks - Feersum Endjinn
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts
Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 04-Jan-13 00:24:22
Print Post

I think the double flash is to reduce red-eye: the first flash is low-ish intensity and causes the subject's pupils to contract, then it fires the main one.

Can't be sure, I seldom do portraiture so red-eye is turned off.

Bill
Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 04-Jan-13 00:32:16
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

The 420EX has autozoom, I agree it's pretty handy.
but then you don't tend to use flash with telephoto lenses.
Not sure about that... telephoto at short ranges can be useful if you want to throw the background out of focus. I've done that on some of the occasional portraits that I take, and it can produce a pleasing effect.

Bill
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to