Technical Discussion
  >> Digital Photography, Video and Graphics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ConorMK
(knowledge is power) Sun 31-Mar-13 23:32:43
Print Post

Camera upgrade

[link to this post]

We may be looking to upgrade our current Canon EOS 50D in the next few months but not sure to what. We had looked at the 60D but it seems from reviews that its not as good as the 50D was. The 70D has been mentioned as "going back to the quality of the 50D".

Should we wait for the 70D or is there another alternative? We also need to consider the lenses we have as well and make sure they are compatible with the upgrade!

Current Lenses include canon 18-85mm, Sigma 70-300, Sigma 50-500, Sigma Macro, Sigma 10-20 wide angle lens and Tamron 18-200.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Conor

There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation
BQM
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 01-Apr-13 13:58:21
Print Post

Re: Camera upgrade

[re: ConorMK] [link to this post]

|Sell the Canon and lenses and get a K-5 II or IIs with some decent lenses

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Apr-13 18:01:57
Print Post

What about a 7D?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User sbrads
(member) Mon 01-Apr-13 18:40:41
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
|Sell the Canon and lenses and get a K-5 II or IIs with some decent lenses

Even a K-30 will beat the 60D and the new Nikon D7100 for noise and image quality, it even nearly matches full frame performance in RAW. The K5IIS is visibly a touch better than the K-30 with no AA filter and 14 bit RAW. Will the 70D move up a notch from the 60D? Dunno, Canon do seem to lag in APS-C sensor performance for dynamic range and noise but they do have an awful lot of users locked into their lens system so the 70D will sell loads as it won't be a bad camera, just not quite as good as it ought to be.

Steve
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 01-Apr-13 20:05:28
Print Post

[re: sbrads] [link to this post]

Have you seen some of the neutral/unbiased reviews of the Pentax DA* 16-50, 50-135 and 300 lenses. A little slow on focussing but in terms of image quality they are considered better than the competitors and cheaper!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User git
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Apr-13 23:11:50
Print Post

Assuming a fair number of those lenses are EF-S so you want to stay APS-C I'd get a 7D from Hong Kong. In fact I'm about to. I doubt £700 has ever bought so much camera, even if it is successor's announcement has already been keenly awaited for a year.
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Apr-13 23:21:52
Print Post

[re: git] [link to this post]

I think they managed to postpone that announcement with the new firmware.

Standard User FelixTCat
(committed) Wed 03-Apr-13 18:50:20
Print Post

Why are you looking to upgrade? Is the shutter count getting too high? Are there features that the 50D lacks that you need? Do you want a full-frame camera for some reason?

It would help to know why before there can be a valid recommendation.
Standard User Dilbert
(member) Thu 04-Apr-13 12:02:59
Print Post

If you want a decent upgrade to the 50D then you need to jump up to the 7D these days.

The X0D range has been cheapened with the most recent model, 20D, 30D, 40D and 50D were all magnesium bodies and aimed at the semi pro market, the 60D by comparison feels a bit like a toy

Unless there is a feature on a new body that you are keen to exploit or another compelling reason for you to upgrade then I would save your money or invest it elsewhere.

People fixate on gear a lot in photography (I know I certainly did) and in many cases spending money on new gear will give very marginal returns compared to what would be achieved if the money were invested in a training course or instructional video of some kind.

I have many friends who have bought SLR's over the last few years and whenever one of them asks about getting an upgrade "so they can take better pictures" I take a look at their camera, see it set in green box mode or P and tell them not to bother with the upgrade.

Its the bit between your ears that makes the photo, spending money on a training course or training material would yield far better photos for most people than a camera upgrade would do.

Standard User meldrew
(experienced) Mon 08-Apr-13 10:46:00
Print Post

[re: Dilbert] [link to this post]

Sound suggestions - but Norton reckons that boundless is a malicious web page!!

Meldrew
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to