Technical Discussion
  >> Digital Photography, Video and Graphics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 12-Apr-13 17:21:59
Print Post

Opinions...dangerous to ask I know

[link to this post]

Okay almost at the 2000 picture point, but still tweaking and playing to learn a range of good picture settings.

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/sony-hx200v/

Page has a few pictures from yesterday, so wondering what people think of quality of picture.

Sometimes find the camera can smooth things too much, but trying a new range of settings. The mobile mast that was x30 zoom handheld, you can't actually spot the mast with the mark 1 eyeball.

I have dropped from 18M to 10M resolution pictures, reduced noise smoothing, and increased sharpness and pictures I think are more like what I'd expect. Should get the tripod on a dry day and do a few shots at different settings really.

Have been having some doubts, as to whether I should get a second camera to improve resolution, but it seems without spending a fortune I may be close to the limit quality wise.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Apr-13 17:28:34
Print Post

Re: Opinions...dangerous to ask I know

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/sony-hx200v/wgc_media/s... looks really good - even with the futher compression for the web?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 12-Apr-13 19:13:48
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Need to find the mast on a map and work out the distance

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Fri 12-Apr-13 19:50:35
Print Post

a set of photos 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x, and 30 of the mast could be quite impressive, but a tripod would be essential.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 12-Apr-13 20:59:02
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

If the sun appears consider it done.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 13-Apr-13 01:25:55
Print Post

and a level horizon ... or warn the mobile operator that their tower is leaning!

The OFCOM checker for mobile masts is normally quite accurate on location.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 14-Apr-13 14:42:32
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

4km looks to be the distance have a load of shots to look at on big monitor and label up

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 14-Apr-13 16:48:10
Print Post

Hopefully I managed to level myself a bit better this time and not bad pictures for something that is 4km away.
I nailed it to ISO 100, and used a 2 second delay to avoid my shutter press shaking image at long zoom.

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/sony-vs-mast/

Some crops to show the detail, and at wide angle it is hard to spot the mast in the images.

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/sony-vs-mast/wgc_media/... (10 Megapixel)
and
http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/sony-vs-mast/wgc_media/... (18 Megapixel)

Show the main aspect of the camera that is not so great, and that is it can lack detail for things like grass when you view at full resolution. Am I expecting too much, it looks to me as if almost the JPG compression is just too much, and I would get similar from the more DSLR like low end cameras.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 15-Apr-13 01:36:47
Print Post

Optical zoom is OK, but as expected the "digital zoom" does not perform miracles! What is the actual point of a "digital zoom" when all it does is crop the centre of the image and interpolate pixels to "zoom in"? Always better to do that in post processing.

Colours are average but maybe a little washed out - what was the weather like? Around here was bright and sunny for a lot of the day.

And you may want to tell your neighbours (across the field) about the missing tile on their gable end!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 15-Apr-13 01:54:43
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
What is the actual point of a "digital zoom" when all it does is crop the centre of the image and interpolate pixels to "zoom in"?

Agreed, however it makes a very useful "telescope" when one is in the field but not much use for photos cool
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to