Technical Discussion
  >> Digital Photography, Video and Graphics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 21-May-13 11:49:07
Print Post

Save part of enlarged JPeg

[link to this post]

I have been sent a JPEG file and I can enlarge it enormously using Paint. But I cant manage to save part of the enlargement that I want. To be precise, it's a' photo of some people at a leaving do but I'd like to save the part containing my friend and his close friends without the rest of the photo. I promised him I'd have a go......
I can get the part I want on the screen but it always defaults to saving the whole photo again.

Dell Studio1558 with Win7 Home Premium
8GB RAM
IE10 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
VM 120Mb/s (using Ethernet)
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 21-May-13 11:51:42
Print Post

Re: Save part of enlarged JPeg

[re: GeoffB] [link to this post]

You would need to use the crop function. Use the select tool to grab the area you want and then click on crop. That will cut it out at which point you can save the cropped area (preferably as a new file so as not to overwrite the original).
Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Tue 21-May-13 13:31:55
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Will paint do that? The version on my PC at work (Windows XP) doesnt have the crop facility or the ability to write JPG files.

The Irfanview programme will do it (and is free) as will paint.net (download from "getpaint.net").

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 21-May-13 13:38:32
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

Win 7 it does. And win 8 of course can do a bit more again.

XP I seem to remember was easiest if you select the area, select copy and then open a new paint window and paste it in. Don't think XP will save as JPEG though.

EDIT - not sure the XP version could open JPEG in which case I am assuming the OP is not on XP?

Edited by ian72 (Tue 21-May-13 13:39:32)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 21-May-13 13:56:14
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

With my XP Paint, I managed to:

Select a rectangle / Copy / New / Paste / Save As JPEG.

However I couldn't get the size right; it was very small but had loads of pixels, many more than original. But I'm not familiar with this and you may know more about it.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC - BQM
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 21-May-13 14:05:13
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

With Microsoft Picture It! Photo you can do all the cropping you want using Create a Cutout, get the size right and save as JPEG.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC - BQM

Edited by XRaySpeX (Tue 21-May-13 14:11:04)

Standard User metalhead41
(knowledge is power) Tue 21-May-13 14:06:37
Print Post

I'd suggest that you get a copy of GIMP (it's free) and use that to do the crop/save of the image smile

----------------------------------------------------
We may be human But we're still animals

My Blog | follow me @metalhead41 | Surfin' Bird Dance
Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Tue 21-May-13 14:08:13
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

OK - XP can do it. To save the JPG requires a "Save as".

It doesnt appear to allow a choice of the level of compression which will be why you had large pixels.

Irfanview is vastly than paint. I like its ability to do JPG lossless transformations to convert portait to landscape and vice-versa but keeping all data in the image including the exif data and it doesnt change the data written. Excellent product!

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Standard User shalom2005
(committed) Fri 24-May-13 14:36:11
Print Post

A little late reading this thread, but can I recommend Faststone Image Viewer. This tiny program does a whole lot more than crop & is free. You can find it here

Best Regards

Steven, Chigwell, Essex
plusnet
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13634...
  Print Thread

Jump to