Technical Discussion
  >> Digital Photography, Video and Graphics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User billford
(elder) Mon 17-Jun-13 12:58:33
Print Post

Got a new toy...

[link to this post]

One of these. smile

Only had a chance for a few test shots in the garden so far, but impressed. What I need now is an air display... this one is pencilled in, subject to the weather (I'm getting too old to stand around for several hours in the middle of an airfield unless it's halfway decent!).

It might give me time to get in some weight training too- with an EOS40D and battery grip it's a shade under 3.5Kg shocked

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.________________Planes and Boats and ... _____________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Jun-13 14:47:34
Print Post

Re: Got a new toy...

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Nice lens. Are you not adding a tripod to that combination - isn't handheld at 500mm a bit much even with OS? Especially with the weight of that thing.

I make do with 300mm max as it gives me a much lighter lens to deal with - I find it difficult to justify more as the difference between 300mm and 500mm of actual coverage never seems that much of a benefit to me. But will be very interesting to hear how you get on with it.
Standard User billford
(elder) Mon 17-Jun-13 15:32:01
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Previously I've used a 75-300mm zoom and got some good results, but on too many occasions the aircraft is just that bit too far away...

I've got a tripod (and a monopod) but I've never really got the hang of tracking an aircraft in flight when using either of them. Especially when it requires aiming at high angles, up to directly overhead at times crazy

It's not too bad using it handheld- right hand on the body/shutter, left hand supporting the lens by (and controlling) the zoom ring. Just a matter of getting used to it. From some of the reviews it seems quite popular with the aircraft fraternity, and if they can do it I should be able to! I might save myself a bit of weight by not using the battery grip, I can keep a spare battery in my pocket tongue

(Rummaging around in the junk spares cupboard, I came across a rifle-stock type of attachment for an old film SLR that used a cable shutter release, if I can mount the lens satisfactorily on that I'll invest in a cheap remote release for the 40D and see if I can cobble it all together somehow. There's one on Amazon that's only a tenth of Canon's price!)

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.________________Planes and Boats and ... _____________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Kenneth
(legend) Mon 17-Jun-13 21:52:20
Print Post

So how many is just a few - when I tested a new lens with just a few shots in back garden it turned out to be around 40 - which I then realised would have cost around £10 in film days

as well as weight training you'll need to practise tracking and panning as it's harder @ 500 mm than 300 mm, especially with extra weight. You might also want to consider the strap (I use a OpTech Neoprene style strap to cushion the lens strap (a 2Kg lens is probably a little too heavy for mount & camera strap). You might also consider a lenscoat to stop it getting scratched. Finally if you put it on a tripod - a Gimbal Head (but they can be expensive)

I am told the Shuttleworth bird of prey centre is worth a trip - I really must go one day (I am often not far from their visiting family)

btw: long time no talk - hope you are well (I see you are rid of the freechat burden)

Ken

Nostalgia is memory with the pain removed
Standard User billford
(elder) Mon 17-Jun-13 22:32:25
Print Post

[re: Kenneth] [link to this post]

Hi Kenneth, good to see you back again- I was wondering the other day where you'd got to smile

Back on topic tongue

A "few" is just that- no more than a dozen so far, had other more urgent things to do. I mainly wanted to work out which did what and to get the "feel" of the beast.

I'm not too bad at panning and tracking, most of my photography (such as it is) has involved planes, cars etc so I've had a fair bit of practice. And they can't change direction as fast as birds wink. Sometimes I get a result I'm quite pleased with (3MB jpg). Sometimes it's less successful, but on the whole I'm not too worried by that aspect.

I mentioned a rifle grip to Ian earlier, I've been trying that out and it seems promising- the weight is taken by pulling the shaped "butt" into your shoulder, just like a rifle. I've ordered a cheap remote shutter release to see how well it works in anger. I'd thought about a gimbal mount but as you say- pricey frown

That lenscoat looks interesting, thanks for the link.

Bill

Edited by billford (Mon 17-Jun-13 22:34:10)

Standard User Kenneth
(legend) Mon 17-Jun-13 23:34:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by billford:
Hi Kenneth, good to see you back again- I was wondering the other day where you'd got to smile

Short version of it – I realised some aspects of freechat was ruining rest for me, so just stopped visiting unless I needed info

And they can't change direction as fast as birds wink.

they are certainly normally more predictable than birds

Sometimes I get a result I'm quite pleased with (3MB jpg). Sometimes it's less successful, but on the whole I'm not too worried by that aspect.

good shot – the art of being a good photographer, don't show people the bad shots (well and and learn from them and with digital the cost of a shutter click is just time to reject it, so often worth trying (I often use a shot just to ID what I am looking at) )

I mentioned a rifle grip to Ian earlier, I've been trying that out and it seems promising- the weight is taken by pulling the shaped "butt" into your shoulder, just like a rifle. I've ordered a cheap remote shutter release to see how well it works in anger.

I have seen good results on a photography forum from people using rifle grips (mainly wildlife) and IIRC one was using a Bigma (as 50-500 was/is known). I have a cheap release – the Canon ones seem rather overpriced for a switch, piece of wire and plug

I'd thought about a gimbal mount but as you say- pricey frown

That lenscoat looks interesting, thanks for the link.

worth looking on ebay – some have found the “alternative makes” acceptable, and all my lens plates have come from China at a fraction of the cost

A lens coat has saved my 400 mm lens from getting too many scratches - though probably needs replacing now

Ken

Nostalgia is memory with the pain removed
Standard User billford
(elder) Mon 17-Jun-13 23:50:48
Print Post

[re: Kenneth] [link to this post]

TBH, I was a bit lucky with that shot (and some others the same day)- it wasn't until I got back home I found that I'd somehow set the autofocus to one-shot, normally I leave it in servo mode for air shows. That's why I bought the battery grip- servo A/F can eat batteries crazy

But it was a salutary reinforcement of an old lesson- check the camera settings before you start, not afterwards!

Bill
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 18-Jun-13 17:33:18
Print Post

An excellent picture ... one thing I hate about propellers or rotors is that too often they are often totally sharp or fully blurred neither of which look right to me. In that one you have caught it with just a small amount of blur on the blades which gives the impression of movement without being too imposing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User billford
(elder) Tue 18-Jun-13 18:57:26
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks for the compliment smile

I agree about propellors/rotors; being too sharp (not always avoidably) has slightly spoiled some pictures I'd otherwise be very pleased with.

I don't really like using fixed shutter speeds (why? good question crazy) so I'm experimenting at the moment with setting a fixed ISO to "encourage" the camera to operate in a more acceptable range. Too early to say how successful it is, the next air show might tell me if it's a good idea or not!

Bill
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 18-Jun-13 19:40:39
Print Post

It would actually be nice to have a setting where you could put upper and lower limits on the shutter speed and then let the camera find a suitable aperture and ISO that works ...

Have you tried doing a three shot bracket, 0 +0.3, -0.3 EV on an aircraft?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to