Technical Discussion
  >> Digital Photography, Video and Graphics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User TLM
(legend) Sun 11-Aug-13 12:54:17
Print Post

Videos from Nokia N8 to e-mail to a friend?

[link to this post]

I've got some videos I took on my (now aging) N8. I wanted to rip them and mail some to a friend.

They were too large to e-mail directly from the phone to myself (or the friend) - phone kept saying not enough memory.

So it's taken me all morning working out how to transfer them from the phone to the PC (yeah, yeah, I know: RTFM). Seemingly, Nokia have not given me a compatible cable/adaptor to do a direct transfer, therefore the only way of doing it was to put them on a memory stick, then plug the memory stick in the PC.

Yay, job done - or so I thought! All the files are there.

But then the disappointment. All the files are MPEG4, which is not compatible with Windows. I'd need to install Quicktime. "OK, no big deal," you might think: "So install Quicktime then!"

BUT, it's probable the friend won't have Quicktime either. I don't want to send him videos that force him to install something before he can watch. He's just not going to bother, is he?

So now I've got some wonderful videos that look great on the phone, but were not only extremely laborious to transfer anywhere else, but are in a format most computer users (assuming the majority are still Windows) won't be able to view by default.

My friend has a tablet, but I think it's Android, not an iPad. So I assume he won't be able to view them on that, either?

/Bashes head against wall.

Is there some easy way I'm missing, to just shoot some videos and send them to a friend, in a format they can see? I can't believe how much faffing around this has already been.

T.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 11-Aug-13 17:45:29
Print Post

Re: Videos from Nokia N8 to e-mail to a friend?

[re: TLM] [link to this post]

Just use one of the various codec packs and MPEG4 should play fine in Windows.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User TLM
(legend) Sun 11-Aug-13 18:12:33
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi Andrew,

Sorry, even that's beyond my level of expertise, I'm afraid. I've heard of codecs, but what are the packs, and where do I get one? And will this also help the recipient, or will he have to do likewise?

I just discovered I do have a cable, and tried importing them using Windows Live Photo Gallery (but I did not want to upload to Windows Live, which I don't use - except for ancient backup Hotmail a/c).

In Windows Live Photo Gallery, they all play straight off, but if I try to open the files directly (from File Manager), it's back to insisting I need Quicktime again.

So near, and yet so far. They're on the computer, and looking good (in WLPG). Just need them in a format other people will be able to watch, without needing special tools. I'm assuming upload to social media (except Windows Live) wouldn't succeed either, because it wouldn't recognize them as compatible formats?

T.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 11-Aug-13 18:41:55
Print Post

Sites like YouTube has handled MP4 in its various formats for some time.

What extension are the actual video files? Nokia has used both MP4 and 3GPP

A lot of people use http://www.videolan.org/ VLC Player which handles more formats that WMP out of the box.

MP4 is pretty standard these days

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User TLM
(legend) Sun 11-Aug-13 19:25:27
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It's driving me to distraction! I think I'm losing the plot. Despite the fact they won't open directly from the File Manager, and I'm pretty sure WMP is my default media player, when I did Open->WMP one of them played immediately!

So it seems it can play them, it just isn't doing so by default (and of course, I don't know if the recipient's setup will by default). They are all .mp4

Edit: it looks as if I'm not going to be able to do it anyway, unless I use a maildrop service. I tried to send myself a test, attaching the zipped video file, but it still exceeded the max. attachment size.

So I think the only way of doing it will be to upload it (somewhere) and send the correspondent the link to that.

T.

Edited by TLM (Sun 11-Aug-13 19:38:04)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 12-Aug-13 07:32:41
Print Post

Are you sure there was not a cable supplied? All the N8s I have seen have a Standard USB to Micro USB supplied. Download the Nokia Suite software and you can transfer automatically, or just use file manager.

.3GP giles will open with:

VLC Media Player
RealPlayer
Ultimate Media Player
Free Media Player
Free File Viewer
Free All-In-One Media Player

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User TLM
(legend) Mon 12-Aug-13 09:42:27
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Yeah, if you see later in the thread, I did eventually find the cable. wink

Certainly made transfer a lot easier, but didn't fix the problem that Windows doesn't want to play them (and I'm not suggesting there's any reason it should have).

Then found they were too large to e-mail, regardless (even if zipped).

So eventually uploaded one to Picasa (which is being abolished by degrees, to force people to move to the unloved Google+), and e-mailed a link to that. Now they're all owned by the same people, the technology was essentially the same as uploading to YouTube, so I was fairly confident it would support the format - which it did!

Only uploaded one video of about three minutes, though, which took an absolute age. I'd been meaning to put a whole set on there (they're of last year's Olympic Closing Ceremony). Think I'll wait to hear if he can view that one, first, before I put any more up there.

Thanks anyway, for the help. Got there eventually, by devious means, even if it's not quite what I'd originally set out to do.

As an aside, first time ever that I've seen a case for super-fast broadband. I've never needed it, never seen a need for it. I'm limping along with my 3.5Mbps (on a good day). But last night, I thought if I were ever to muck around with video much in the future, I'd need it.

T.
Standard User metalhead41
(knowledge is power) Mon 12-Aug-13 09:48:52
Print Post

If they are too large to email, could you upload them to youtube (you can set videos to private so only those you share the link with can see them)?

Alternatively, install VLC which will play pretty much anything smile

----------------------------------------------------
We may be human But we're still animals

My Blog | follow me @metalhead41 | Surfin' Bird Dance
Standard User TLM
(legend) Mon 12-Aug-13 10:03:38
Print Post

[re: metalhead41] [link to this post]

I uploaded them (well, only one so far) to Picasa in the end - which is owned by the same people, so essentially the same technology.

I've got an inherent fear of YouTube, primarily because I don't know anything about the privacy controls. I can see the funny side about having privacy concerns re footage of an event 80,000 people attended, that was beamed live around the world, but my vid is still my vid - don't want it popping up just anywhere. I was already familiar with Picasa, from ordinary photos, so just went with that. Shame they're getting rid of it.

T.
  Print Thread

Jump to