Technical Discussion
  >> Digital Photography, Video and Graphics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User TrishaH
(experienced) Tue 10-Dec-13 23:41:35
Print Post

CS5 & ACDSee problem

[link to this post]

I'm editing and saving an image in CS5 for the first time since some Microsoft updates, and once I finish the adjustments etc., I save it as a full size jpeg, and then go on to save it in other sizes such as medium at 300pxls resolution, then at 72pxls, and then smaller for web use.
All my images are saved and viewed etc. in ACDsee Photo Manager 12.

The one I'm working on, just saved at full size into the folder on ACDsee as it should at 4,902KB, but it's just saved as a plain white square in the thumbnails, so I tried to shell edit in Paint. It does open it and save as a jpeg image file, but at only 1/3 the original file size, and the same thing happens when I save a resized image from CS5.
However, when I 'save for web and devices' it does save in ACDsee as a visible jpeg as it always has.

Anyone know why this is happening now and how to solve it ?

Edited by TrishaH (Wed 11-Dec-13 00:55:57)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 11-Dec-13 12:51:53
Print Post

Re: CS5 & ACDSee problem

[re: TrishaH] [link to this post]

ACDsee Photo Manager 12 is just a database/picture management system. The key is what do the images actually look like if viewed directly, e.g. copied onto a USB key and viewed on another PC.

If you are not seeing the thumbnail in ACDsee update then it may be it is not seeing the image change, or it is trying to generate the thumbnail from a change trigger before CS5 has finished writing the image.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User TrishaH
(experienced) Wed 11-Dec-13 13:47:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes, I use it to sort, view and download images to whether right off the camera or saved from other sources.

Yesterday, I took some photos, downloaded them into ACDsee direct from the camera as always, selected the best image to edit & opened it in CS5.
The thumbnail was there in ACDSee after editing/saving, but just as a white sheet of paper. It would open and save as a standard jpeg via Paint, but as stated, at a much smaller file size.
I've also tried opening that file from CS5, but it stated it couldn't open it as wrong type of file.

So just now, I've tried opening a different image from the same batch of photos, done a bit of basic editing, and saved it in three sizes: all appeared as they should do in ACDSee!

To make sure, I've opened it with CS5 & saved it, and then opened it from ACDSee direct to CS5 and edited it, and both work properly.

What was happening last night is beyond me - could something updated recently have caused a bit of conflict that has then re-set itself overnight now the computer has been re-booted?

Hope that all makes sense - I know how to do things as I've always done them, but step outside those areas and I'm a bit lost smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 11-Dec-13 21:43:40
Print Post

Could well be a DLL versioning issue and depends on which one is loaded into memory first

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User TrishaH
(experienced) Wed 11-Dec-13 23:18:54
Print Post

Not my thing understanding this type of stuff, but is that a type of incompatibility between old and new files? Perhaps something that can happen with things like updates?
If so, I'm assuming that they can sometimes resolve their issues, and perhaps why the images saved looked alien yesterday, and normal when re-done today once the computer had been re-booted after CS5 had been used for the first time since the Windows updates were done.

When there's a reason or answer as to why something probably happened, I feel more reassured.
It's when things do odd things and there appears to be no reason that I get concerned smile

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 15-Dec-13 00:00:30
Print Post

Yes odd DLL files can cause this sort of problem, but is pretty rare these days

Standard User TrishaH
(experienced) Sun 15-Dec-13 01:04:35
Print Post

Thanks

Some 'rare' things are good to have ...others perhaps not! wink
Hope it stays OK.

Standard User pcologist
(learned) Sun 15-Dec-13 07:45:00
Print Post

I suspect that it is a glitch with the CS5 on saving, because when a plain white file is visible it really signifies a file type "unknown" so may be when saving from CS5 just check that it is saving in the correct file format?
Point to be aware of is that Jpeg is a file format that has a high deterioration [generally know as a lossy file] when reworked a period of times and can corrupt easily, It may be worth considering another file format I use .png its more robust and for web work has great transparency qualities.
Standard User TrishaH
(experienced) Sun 15-Dec-13 18:18:04
Print Post

[re: pcologist] [link to this post]

I did think it was the save from CS5 where the problem lay, but after finding the first of the three a plain white page file, I was careful to check when saving the others. Only the 'save for web' one saved properly.

When I edit a photo for publishing etc., I edit from a RAW file & save edited in both, but for basic email & web use, I just use the jpegs.
Never thought of trying .png - I'll try it next time. They come off my camera as jpegs & RAW and I edit from either of those. Is it in the first save from CS5 that I change it to .png?

Print Thread

Jump to