Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

These posts have been archived and can no longer be replied to or modified.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 20-Aug-09 23:23:04
Print Post

Re: Billion BiPAC 7800N

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Yeah, it seems that its performance is much more sensitive to the DSLAM at the other end and the length of the line than the average routers.
Most people report increases in speed, but people like me who're quite far from the exchange seem to have similar problems with the router being a bit conservative on the speed.

BTW, since you have one too, can you test the port forwarding?

I'm trying to confirm that the router is actually screwing up the source address of packets that it is port-forwarding. So far I have my own experience, and also that of another guy on the aussie whirlpool forums.

I do agree it's a nice bit of kit; It's just a shame it's marred by silly bugs which should have been caught in QA...

--AutoCow
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 21-Aug-09 08:55:21
Print Post

I am just up the road from the exchange so guess I am lucky with the speed. I haven't had any issues with the port forwarding it all seems to work OK. I am running a mail server, several web sites and a TFS server through the router.

Stuart
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 21-Aug-09 14:08:22
Print Post

Interesting mix of replies!

Keep posting with your thoughts over the next day or two please.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 21-Aug-09 19:08:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
I am just up the road from the exchange so guess I am lucky with the speed. I haven't had any issues with the port forwarding it all seems to work OK. I am running a mail server, several web sites and a TFS server through the router.

Stuart

Can you do me a favour?

Have a look at your access logs and see what the incoming addresses your servers are seeing.

On all my other routers, they are real IP addresses, but with the 7800N all my servers just see the router as the incoming IP.
Standard User stephenmc
(newbie) Fri 21-Aug-09 21:07:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Have a look at your access logs and see what the incoming addresses your servers are seeing.

On all my other routers, they are real IP addresses, but with the 7800N all my servers just see the router as the incoming IP.

Looks like I've got the same issue here, - makes protecting against brute-force attacks a little tricky, as I'll end up locking myself out of the server too :|

Stephen
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 24-Aug-09 14:43:41
Print Post

I have had a look and you are right the incoming IP address is just that of the router. Doesnt cause me any issues in my particular scenario but it should really pass through the external IP. Lets hope they fix this.

Stuart
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 27-Aug-09 21:01:56
Print Post

Wooo!

They have a beta firmware which fixes the port forwarding bug!

It's a beta firmware, 1.02e.RC1.dj2

I gotta say, I'm damned impressed with the turnaround of their tech support - I logged the support request on the 19th, had a bit of e-mail dialog with a support person who *wasn't* a robot/reading from a script, and who actually understood what I was talking about, and I got the beta firmware yesterday; 7 days to fix!

Very impressed!! Never had such a good experience, certainly not from any of the bigger mainstream companies! (My old router a Linksys WAG354G, has loads of silly bugs which have never been fixed! In fact, its instability with ADSL2+ is partly what's motivated me to look for a new router!)

The official release of the firmware (Which includes some new features on top of the bug fixes) won't be far behind once they finish testing.

Very impressed with this company!
Standard User stephenmc
(newbie) Thu 27-Aug-09 23:51:59
Print Post

Just wondering what route you took to log the support call? - I filled in the form on the UK site but never got anything back.

Stephen
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 28-Aug-09 01:50:54
Print Post

[re: stephenmc] [link to this post]

Hmm, odd... I just went here:

http://www.billion.uk.com/esupport/

Registered, logged two calls (One for the reduced linesync, one for the port forwarding) and got a response from the tech team the next day by e-mail...

--AutoCow
Standard User stephenmc
(newbie) Tue 01-Sep-09 19:08:52
Print Post

Well, after re-submitting my ticket (using another email address) I got a pretty quick response, and the new firmware's done the trick for me too!

Stephen
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to