Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User has
(committed) Fri 31-Jul-09 00:20:19
Print Post

DG834N Wlan Uptime Puzzle

[link to this post]

I am reposting this problem in the hope that someone out there might know what is going on. Netgear Support have been useless unfortunately, even though I've spent hours (not to mention quite a bit of money!) on the phone to them.

Every 24 hours, at midnight, my wlan uptime counter resets to zero. IThis is the case even though Wireless Access Point Control is set to "always on."

I have tried changing channels, encryption, resetting the router, and checking all settings but still it happens - every night at midnight without fail. Is this a bug in the Netgear's counter or is there something causing the wlan connection to drop for a few seconds exactly the same time every night?

P.S Lan and Wan uptimes don't seem to be affected.

P.P.S Windows XP Wireless Network Connection is not affected - the duration shown on the status page does not correspond to the Netgear's stats page. ( So when the wlan counter on the netgear router page resets to zero, it stays at a given figure on the windows xp wireless tab).

Edited by has (Fri 31-Jul-09 00:33:24)

Standard User time2die
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 31-Jul-09 08:33:18
Print Post

Re: DG834N Wlan Uptime Puzzle

[re: has] [link to this post]

I have the same router but unfortunatly i have not got a clue what your on about and why this problem makes a difference to you.

If you want to go into a description of your problem and settings within the router i will look at my own to see if i can help.

All i can say is from using netgear for ages is a do not update the firmware very often as it has stopped most wireless communictions with all my consoles in the past especially the netgear model dg834gt.

Must have spent hours talking to some netgeat advisor in india about this problem which was never solved.
Standard User John_ON
(knowledge is power) Fri 31-Jul-09 10:21:34
Print Post

Every 24 hours, at midnight, my wlan uptime counter resets to zero.

I'd try to determine whether it is every 24 hours or whether it's midnight: If you deliberately drop the connection at, say, 11pm, does it still reset at midnight.

I'm not too sure what that might indicate but it could point to some sort of "lease" thing if it's every 24 hours or some sort of "clock" thing (perhaps NTP server or something) if it's always at midnight.

John.

ISP: ZeN

Edited by John_ON (Fri 31-Jul-09 10:23:10)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User has
(committed) Fri 31-Jul-09 14:09:38
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

Anyone with a DG834N and has noticed the same thing and knows what is causing this and whether there is a solution? I know it is not a big problem, but it is irritating nevertheless - especially for a perfectionist like me ! smile

P.S I will try the suggestion of dropping the wifi connection and seeing if it still disconnects at midnight. I can't help feeling that it is a counter bug, as I hardly notice any effect on my connection and windows does not show a loss of wifi signal.

Edited by has (Fri 31-Jul-09 14:11:02)

Standard User koolkp3
(member) Sat 01-Aug-09 00:48:05
Print Post

I have noticed this too. I think it must be a behaviour in the latest firmware revision. It also seems to flush out old port listings under UPNP, NAT etc. Must be it's way of "refreshing" itself.

24Mb
Be There
Standard User has
(committed) Sat 01-Aug-09 01:51:30
Print Post

[re: koolkp3] [link to this post]

Thanks - at last someone who is able to corroborate this behaviour. It was driving me mad that no one here or on netgar forums could confirm that this is a known issue.

Edited by has (Sat 01-Aug-09 02:11:12)

Standard User has
(committed) Sun 16-Aug-09 12:23:45
Print Post

The problem with the dg834n disconnecting wireless (not ethernet) every midnight is still occurring. Any one experience the same thing?

P.S Still using lates official netgear firmware V1.02.15 .

P.P.S It disconnects momentarily for a few seconds and then reconnects. But always at midnight.

H

Edited by has (Mon 17-Aug-09 00:12:45)

Standard User has
(committed) Mon 17-Aug-09 02:00:37
Print Post

[re: John_ON] [link to this post]

I have identified that the wlan connection drops at midnight without fail and not every 24 hours.

H
Standard User John_ON
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Aug-09 07:56:39
Print Post

So, it would seem to be a clock thing rather than a lease thing. Does your PC synchronize it's clock with a time server? What time? (Control Panel -> Date & Time -> Internet Time)

Do you have an firewall schedule set in the router? I'm not sure how or when the router contacts a time server.

John.

ISP:Be*
Standard User has
(committed) Mon 17-Aug-09 23:47:19
Print Post

[re: John_ON] [link to this post]

The router's log does show that it synchronizes with the NTP time server but not at midnight - also windows synchronizes with the internet time server at 14.36. So unfortunately neither of those explain the mystery of the midnight wireless dropouts.
P.S. There are no time defined firewall rules in place.

H
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to