Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User postal
(newbie) Tue 19-Jan-10 01:37:45
Print Post

Draytek 2710n question?

[link to this post]

I have been using a draytek 2710n wireless router for almost 6 months I do like it but theres just to many options lol.
One thing I noticed was that the upload speed was about 25% less than other routers I use, initially I thought it was just down to the different brand of manufacturer - I noticed an option to reserve bandwidth in the QoS page of the router oddly enough it was reserving 25% this option was disabled.
I have since learned that a firmware upgrade is available (not listed on the support site - but found thru FTP) to resolve this issue and actually give you control over the QoS settings as even tho its reported as disabled this is not the case... great I thought - However for what ever reason there are 5 different firmware variations available for the same Annex A firmware update depending on the ADSL firmware modem code - I have the default firmware it shipped with 3.3.0 211801 modem code. Yet 232201 is recommended for the U.K. and another forum suggested that changing the modem code thru a firmware upgrade could improve performance.
Basically does anyone out there use a Draytek router if so could you indicate what adsl firmware/modem code is currently reported by the router? And whether you have any issues with the router?
Currently I get alot of Rx CRC errors reported (i think thats what it says) and the line drops a few times a week usually.
Any help or even posting your experiences of using this brand of router is appreciated.

I am in the market for a router and picked 2 up last week but returned them both as the linksys WAG120N was faulty and the belkin had a misleading name.

Thanks.
Standard User jchamier
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 19-Jan-10 08:03:57
Print Post

Re: Draytek 2710n question?

[re: postal] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by postal:
Basically does anyone out there use a Draytek router if so could you indicate what adsl firmware/modem code is currently reported by the router? And whether you have any issues with the router?
Currently I get alot of Rx CRC errors reported (i think thats what it says) and the line drops a few times a week usually.
Any help or even posting your experiences of using this brand of router is appreciated.

Model Name : Vigor2820Vn
Firmware Version : 3.3.3_232201
Build Date/Time : Oct 23 2009 15:23:15
ADSL Firmware Version : 232201_A Hardware: Annex A

No problems with wireless throughput; my G only laptop shows the same download as my wired connection; my BE connection maxing out at around 16megabytes/sec download with 1.6megabytes/sec upload.

You could ask on the UK draytek forums (www.draytek.co.uk/support) - but if you're using the generic firmware from Taiwan it might not be adjusted for the UK.

--
James - be* pro - Draytek 2820Vn - 18.0meg/2.4meg - att:26 snrm:3 Speedtest.net / TBB
Standard User Sandgrounder
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Jan-10 09:41:11
Print Post

# Model
: Vigor2600V series annex A
# Firmware Version
: v2.5.5.3_UK

# Model
: Vigor2600 annex A
# Firmware Version
: v2.5.4_UK2

No issues with either of them.

Line One:- Zen - DrayTek Vigor 2600VG
Line Two:- EntaNet - DrayTek Vigor 2600

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User postal
(newbie) Tue 19-Jan-10 12:46:17
Print Post

[re: Sandgrounder] [link to this post]

Hey guys thanks for your replies.
Well yeah it looks like the router shipped with a none generic firmware installed - even tho I purchased it with in the U.k.
I finally received a reply to my email to Draytek support recommending I upgrade using a firmware with modem code recommended for the U.k daft really.
I will let you know how I get on.

One think I've been asked to Telnet into the router and run a command to disable Qos as it was causing a reservation of Bandwidth - So I take it I may need to install Telnet within the programs and features - control panel? On windows 7. Its been almost 15 years since I had anything to do with Telnet.

Also two flavours of firmware a *.all file and a *.rts file pretty sure one of them upgrades firmware and the other upgrades the firmware and does a factory reset- So in theory I should be able to get away with just upgrading the firmware?

ANyway cheers for your time.
Standard User postal
(newbie) Tue 19-Jan-10 13:55:18
Print Post

Ok i updated the firmware and disabled Qos in telnet.

My dsl line stats have improved as my loop attenuation has dropped which I believe is good?
And now I get the full bandwidth on the upload.

Gonna monitor the connection for a while and see what happens regards RX crc errors and drop outs etc.

One more thing erm what options have you got selected regards UPnP?

I have UPnP enabled but there r two more options...

Enable Connection control Service
Enable Connection Status Service

Which I left alone.

Also Under Firewall I have a DOS defence option.

Should all options be selected regards Flood defense etc?

I would post on the draytek uk forums but i can never open that page.
Anyway looks good at the mo.

Cheers.

Update just checked the routing table and it actually makes sense now just lists the addresses related to LAN and WAN provided by the ISP rather than odd IP's.

Edited by postal (Tue 19-Jan-10 15:36:57)

Standard User Gypsydog
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 19-Jan-10 14:39:48
Print Post

Draytek .com and .co.uk sites are always way behind with the latest firmware that is available.

Draytek always seem to publish their most current firmware on its Polish site - why this is I don't know, but it functions perfectly well in the UK and I have used several versions from this site over the last 6 months.

The firmware and release notes etc are both in English

I am currently using 3.3.2.2 firmware, which I got from the Draytek Polish site; see below:

Vigor2710n
Firmware Version : 3.3.2.2
Build Date/Time : Dec 15 2009 18:35:18
ADSL Firmware Version : 211011_A Hardware: Annex A

If you are want to give it a try, the link is below

ftp://ftp.draytek.pl/Seria_2710/Firmware/

Some of the early firmware for this model reported lots of Rx CRC errors on my line which I know from testing with other routers it is not a true reflection of the line status.

I have an excellent line that synch's at the maximum 8128 meg and still has a 12 db SNR and a throughput of ~ 6.5 meg

I could have a couple of thousand Rx CRC errors reported in 24 hours with some of the earlier firm ware but have only had 2 (two) reported in the last 24 hrs.

Every man should have at least two computers; one to use and one to tinker with.

DrayTek Vigor 2710n

Edited by Gypsydog (Tue 19-Jan-10 14:42:27)

Standard User postal
(newbie) Tue 19-Jan-10 15:45:05
Print Post

[re: Gypsydog] [link to this post]

Yeah after 2 hrs 7 errors where as on the old firmware - modem model 211801 i'd have possibly had 500! Anyway cheers for that I'm tempted to try the various firmwares for each modem model number and see which is best.
I found one forum that said best results were with 211011 and 232201...
Yeah I found the firmware you are using via an FTP site thru an australian forum with posts related to Draytek routers, but there weren't that many changes since the one I'm currently on now - at least not that would possibly affect me anyway.
I'm just glad I could finally disable the bandwidth reservation.

Just wish I could figure out the syslog for router logging and the UPnP and firewall dos protection settings?

Also its odd that theres a completely different routing table now - but as I said in my edit it makes more sense lol.

Yeah I never felt the errors reported were actually a true reflection of the line quality... but we will see.

Thanks for your reply.

Love the badly translated manual that was in the box LOL!

Edited by postal (Tue 19-Jan-10 15:45:59)

Standard User jchamier
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 20-Jan-10 23:52:29
Print Post

Ok i updated the firmware and disabled Qos in telnet.

My dsl line stats have improved as my loop attenuation has dropped which I believe is good?
And now I get the full bandwidth on the upload.

Great, on my 2820Vn, I can configure QoS in the web interface. A lower attenuation is good, but if its dropped only a few DB that can just be down to the firmware. I have 3 routers here, and each one gives a different attenuation number for my line.

Gonna monitor the connection for a while and see what happens regards RX crc errors and drop outs etc. One more thing erm what options have you got selected regards UPnP?

I have UPnP enabled but there r two more options...

Enable Connection control Service
Enable Connection Status Service

Which I left alone.

Those are options to allow the operating system to give you a control panel to connect/disconnect (assuming your ISP uses PPPoA or PPPoE, mine doesn't) and to see the status. On WinXP you get an icon in your network control panel. On my 2820Vn, I have both not selected, and my Win7 UPNP is working fine.

Also Under Firewall I have a DOS defence option.

Should all options be selected regards Flood defense etc?

I have them all NOT selected - as I've had some bad experienced with some older routers detecting floods which were actually valid packets from my corporate VPN.

Thats why I like the Draytek stuff, as you actually get the choice !

I would post on the draytek uk forums but i can never open that page.
Anyway looks good at the mo.

Update just checked the routing table and it actually makes sense now just lists the addresses related to LAN and WAN provided by the ISP rather than odd IP's.

Sounds good. I find I have no problems with my 2820Vn and BE's connection; apparently the Draytek equipment is using Infineon line chips which seem to work pretty well with BE's broadcom based DSLAMs.

Which ISP are you with?

--
James - be* pro - Draytek 2820Vn - 18.0meg/2.4meg - att:26 snrm:3 Speedtest.net / TBB
Standard User postal
(newbie) Thu 28-Jan-10 01:16:39
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Well things seem to have improved... Only time I've lost connection has been down to my choosing which makes a change.

Sorry I didn't reply to your post but I didn't get an email to say someone had replied.

Cheers for suggesting what those settings should be.

I'm currently with IDnet but am considering making a change in all honesty I rate their service
but any issues I have are usually outside of their office hours and questions have a tendancy to go unanswered if you email support and some of the replies can be rather trite(is that even a word) and when the Peterborough BRAS issue surfaced for the 3rd or 4th time since December their support line had a full message box or something.

Anyhow cheers.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 29-Mar-10 21:54:04
Print Post

You may have already found it, but if you could try and telnet to the router and issue the commands:

adsl rxpct 100
adsl txpct 100

This seems tell the router at what percentage of max sync speed to actually sync to the ISP with. It appears to default to 80 for some reason. My sync improved a lot after this although my actual speed only improved slightly (I'm on a terrible line). You will probably need to reboot the router afterwards.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to