Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cypher007
(learned) Tue 09-Mar-10 16:11:14
Print Post

7402nx driving me nuts

[link to this post]

ok after giving up on the 7402nx to hold a decent sync speed on my long line, i decided to use a spare dg834gt i had, and voila, after some snr tweaking i can now hold a 2272 sync all day and night with a 2mbps profile , the 7402nx could only manage maybe 1784 ish with a 1250mbps profile :| .

anyway i have now decided to try and link the dg834gt to the 7402nx, and here in lies the problem, Ewan doesnt work in the s6 firmware im running.

i first tried using the dg834gt as a dumb modem, but here in the UK most isp's use pppoa not pppoe, so Billion need to add this to the Ewan config.

ok i thought ill turn off nat on the dg834gt and use it that way, no. first problem i have a dynamic external ip, which i resolve using dyndns.

ok i thought ill leave nat on and use a fixed ip setup. so i configured the 7402nx to Ewan and fixed ip, put in the details, and [censored], the 7402nx wont save the private range ip it just keeps 0'ing.

is there any way to get the 7402nx to do the routing while having the dg834gt do the modem bit? could Billion add pppoa to the Ewan config?
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 11-Mar-10 16:11:20
Print Post

Re: 7402nx driving me nuts

[re: cypher007] [link to this post]

yep I want to do the same thing see here.

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/ukonline/t/3813414-...

Does your 7402nx ever reboot itself?

it looks like it may be possible to get the ewan working by putting the original router in either bridge mode or dmz mode and then using the static ip option. The other router wouldnt then be completely dumb but at least it still allows you to use the nx to route your lan traffic.

I managed to get billion to send me a uk version of the s6.b1 firmware but there is no pppoa ewan option on it and I have no idea why they dont put these firmwares on the website.
Standard User cypher007
(learned) Mon 15-Mar-10 15:24:02
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

it seems the dg834gt can do a half bridge mode, but im not sure how to get it working with the new firmware.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Rockh
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 15-Mar-10 18:00:43
Print Post

Have a google for modem mode.

Dave
Standard User cypher007
(learned) Tue 16-Mar-10 23:39:23
Print Post

Re: 7402nx driving me nuts *DELETED*

[re: Rockh] [link to this post]

Post deleted by cypher007
Standard User DSLPete
(regular) Sat 20-Mar-10 21:36:53
Print Post

there seems to be quite a few unofficial versions of S6. Billion have sent me a couple and the latest one I've tried introduced EWAN. I'm running 5.53.s6.rc11.ds5.64 on my 7402NX (not in EWAN mode as I'm ADSL), but I thought that I'd mention this in case it helps as it may be worth contacting Billion for this unofficially released revision. I might have a copy on email if that helps.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Mar-10 22:49:11
Print Post

[re: DSLPete] [link to this post]

hmm how long have you had it? I am inclined to believe that is older than s6.b1 based on on how billion do their versioning in the past however I would not mind a copy of that firmware so am going to send you a PM with my email addy to forward on to thanks, I will send s6.b1 the other way no problem. s6.b1 is newer than the final s6. On the australian site its not classed as beta either. I dont know if its considered beta in the uk, I was not told its beta firmware by uk tech support.

also the .64 at the end might be reffering to newer adsl code which widens my eyes even more, I would be very grateful if you could goto the adsl status page in the gui and check this line.

DSP Firmware Version

please tell me what value it has (adsl firmware version), mine is E.25.41.55 A and I am curious if yours will be E.25.41.64 A

Edited by Chrysalis (Sat 20-Mar-10 22:51:09)

Standard User DSLPete
(regular) Sun 21-Mar-10 07:48:01
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Hi

My ADSL Code is indeed E.25.41.64 A. Billion support sent me this code at the beginning of March '10. I'm presuming that the version I'm running introduced the int_2.5 (9b coding gain) as this has also helped me get my speed back up, but I'm sure it only ever went up to 7. I hope it's still there in S6.b1.

I'll check my PM in a mo.

Cheers
Pete
Standard User DSLPete
(regular) Sun 21-Mar-10 08:20:07
Print Post

I'm about 1km from the exchange as the crow flies.

DSP Firmware Version E.25.41.64 A
Connected true
Operational Mode G.Dmt
Annex Type AnnexA
Upstream 448000
Downstream 6560000
Elapsed Time 0 day 7 hr 56 min 27 sec
SNR Margin(Upstream) 27 dB
SNR Margin(Downstream) 16.5 dB
Line Attenuation(Upstream) 31.5 dB
Line Attenuation(Downstream) 34.5 dB
CRC Errors(Upstream) 31
CRC Errors(Downstream) 0
Latency(Upstream) Interleave
Latency(Downstream) Interleave
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 21-Mar-10 16:41:21
Print Post

in telnet this command can increase your sync speed by setting your downstream margin lower, obviously there is a risk to stability with a lower margin, also I dont know yet how to make it go back to using the isp value, so to do that I assume could just set it manually again to whatever your margin is which I think looks like 15db now.

so you can telnet in 192.168.1.254 port 23.

port a1 set ActivateLine abort
port a1 set AnnexAForceSNRMarginDn 70
port a1 set ActivateLine start

that would set the snr margin to 7db, so 80 is 8db and so on. 150 would be back to 15db.

I got the info and the firmware many thanks for that, it is indeed older firmware but one that comes with a newer dsl code. Also grabbed a load of newer uk firmware for my other billion routers from the 2nd link you gave me.

The .55 firmware does also have the int coding gain settings as well. The problem I am looking to resolve is that SRA (seamless rate adaptation) seems to effectively crash on the version I am using.

Edited by Chrysalis (Sun 21-Mar-10 16:43:33)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to