Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User camieabz
(legend) Fri 12-Nov-10 10:46:52
Print Post

Router for the future

[link to this post]

I've been toying with the idea of a new piece of kit. Maybe not in the near future, but perhaps if and when ADSL2+ comes to my exchange (semi-rural, pop of 3000). There's no 21CN or ADSL2+ date set, and no fibre plans, as far as I know.

I get a sync of 8128, and average speeds of 6.2 Meg with pings in the low 40s.

My current kit is a Solwise SAR715 router modem with a 10/100 switch and on the original spec it was rates for 8000/640.

Several questions.

Would it be worth waiting to see what speeds the Solwise kit gets, if and when the exchange gets a speed up?

Would it be worth getting a new piece of kit to improve my current speeds/pings?

What kit would be available? Has to be wired. Modem/router combo, preferably with a 10/100 switch (so minimum of two ports). Also want NAT and have no real idea of any other specific spec. I'm not sure I need to change kit, but with my kit being 8+ years old, I'm just wondering if a change would get a better connection. Stats are:

7dB SNR / 30.0dB Att / 22 power (down)
10.0dB SNR / 18.5dB Att / 10 power (up)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 12-Nov-10 11:16:52
Print Post

Re: Router for the future

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

I'd wait, you might get lucky and bypass ADSL2+ and get FTTC.

If its working now, once ADSL2+ arrives Solwise do sell ADSL2+ kit and £19 seems to be a price that might do what you want.

The 10/100 has moved on slightly, as 10/100/1000 are the options you really should look for now.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User camieabz
(legend) Fri 12-Nov-10 11:27:33
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Mmm. Interesting. £25 inc VAT and shipping. It seems almost worth a pop just to see. smile

Since it says G.dmt, I assume it would work with ADSLmax? Pity about it having no switch though.

Food for thought though. It just occurred to me : will my current router actually work on ADSL2+ (speed limitations aside)?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 12-Nov-10 12:29:07
Print Post

Had missed the one port bit, had assummed due to box size it was 4 port.

Though saying that a 5 port gigabit switch is not expensive these days.

Yes it will work with ADSLMax, which is just ADSL.

ADSL2+ is ADSL but with the option to use an extra 1.1Mhz of frequency range.

Your current router should work on ADSL2+ but only at ADSL speed. I say should as have seen the odd router have issues on some ADSL2+ setups, but no rush to upgrade.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User camieabz
(legend) Mon 15-Nov-10 01:28:11
Print Post

Ta very much. Been away, so sorry for the late response. smile

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Fri 20-Jan-12 16:58:57
Print Post

A spot of gravedigging, but with a point.

A client uses the same router as mine (SAR-715 is you haven't read the OP), and was just switched to the 21CN and it appears that the router chipset is incompatible with the network. I'm also hearing that the ISP will 20CN network services will end in 2013 and users will be moved automatically.

So am now looking for a replacement, both for myself (RFS date in August) and the client, and wonder if the wonderful folk of TBB can narrow the field a little. Minimum requirements:

Two-port wired(preferably four).
NAT available

There's no immediate plan to have any networking beyond this, but there might be future plans to hook up an NAS remotely, and any functionality which will make connection to a remote NAS would help. The NAS would probably reside at home here, so it would be two identical routers over the remote connection.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

All Connection Data ~ plusnet

Scottish Labour politician: “The SNP are on a very dangerous tack. What they are doing is trying to build up a situation in Scotland where the services are manifestly better than south of the border in a number of areas.”

Interviewer: ”Is that a bad thing?”

Scottish Labour politician: “No, but they are doing it deliberately.”
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 20-Jan-12 19:34:13
Print Post

I have a DGN2200 that ran well on 20CN and has just jumped to 21CN and is working well, even down to 3dB margin on what was a variable line margin wise.

It has a USB port to create a cheapo NAS, i.e. not as good as dedicated, but fine for occasional use

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Fri 20-Jan-12 20:30:30
Print Post

I take it that the Netgear rangemax dual etc is just better in the wireless sense?

http://www.netgear.com/upload/Landing/WNDR3700/WNDR3... (Slide 2)

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Scottish Labour politician: “The SNP are on a very dangerous tack. What they are doing is trying to build up a situation in Scotland where the services are manifestly better than south of the border in a number of areas.”

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 20-Jan-12 20:36:10
Print Post

No idea not delved deep enough to say, generally just say about kit I've used these days

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Fri 20-Jan-12 20:44:40
Print Post

/wonders if there's scope for a review on the new kit...

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to