Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User JonBradley
(learned) Wed 08-Dec-10 15:35:21
Print Post

Best ADSL Modem for Netgear wndr3700

[link to this post]

Hi there,

I've just reccomended my parents to purchase a netgear wndr3700 as a replacement for their old modem/router as i have had a great experience with mine since purchase. However i'm on BT infinity so i don't know what to reccomend them as an ADSL modem to go with it. (My parents use BT total Broadband at the mo)

Does anyone have any reccomendations for a nice stable modem to pair with this router?

Thanks!
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Wed 08-Dec-10 15:42:37
Print Post

Re: Best ADSL Modem for Netgear wndr3700

[re: JonBradley] [link to this post]

Wouldn't they be better off using the free BT Home Hub and seeing how they get on before buying anything?

Standard User JonBradley
(learned) Wed 08-Dec-10 15:50:02
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

They use it already and the wifi doesn't cover the whole house. Hence why i'm recommending they try this router as it covers my place well. (Where i had trouble with the homehub before.)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Wed 08-Dec-10 16:00:41
Print Post

Ah I see smile

Can you try using your router with their Hub and see if the wireless improves?
If this works, presumably they can continue using the BT Hub with a new 3700 - either way you'll end up with two boxes unless you go for a combined modem/router.

Standard User JonBradley
(learned) Wed 08-Dec-10 16:48:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by b4dger:
Ah I see smile

Can you try using your router with their Hub and see if the wireless improves?
If this works, presumably they can continue using the BT Hub with a new 3700 - either way you'll end up with two boxes unless you go for a combined modem/router.

I didn't realise you can use the homehub purely as a modem? Is this possible? If so thats fine
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Wed 08-Dec-10 17:24:51
Print Post

I'm not familiar with the Netgear WNDR3700 but if it hasn't got a built in modem then I'm guessing (maybe incorrectly) that it's basically a WAP (Wireless Access Point)?

I use a WAP with my router - just plug it into an Ethernet port and set things up.

Off-topic, but another option might be to use Homeplugs which many people with bad wifi coverage rate smile

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 16-Jan-11 23:22:15
Print Post

Why don't you just answer the question?? I would like to know too.
Standard User rocstat1979
(newbie) Mon 24-Jan-11 16:23:46
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Have just done something similar and you have 2 options on how to proceed.

Although it is not advertised and in some places disputed, you can in fact use the home hub 2.0 as a modem. All I did was to plug an ethernet cable from the home hub into the internet socket on my wndr 3700 and the new router was able to access the internet. I personally did this without touching the DHCP settings and the wndr3700 recognised that the homehub had it's dhcp server active on 192.168.1.x so automatically changed it's dhcp settings to use 10.0.0.1. I then used an ethernet cable to the home hub to disable the wireless settings and am running off the 10.0.0.x subnet with no issues.

The other possible solution which sounds like it may be the most appropriate for your situation would be for your parents to use the WNDR3700 as a wireless bridge, this is easy to set up in the router's menu although beware you will need to stop the homehub from automatically assigning the wireless channel.

I hope this is clear however will happily clarify if anyone wants anything further
Standard User Rockh
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 24-Jan-11 16:29:12
Print Post

[re: rocstat1979] [link to this post]

That's not using the hub as a modem, it's still acting as a router, all you are doing is double NATing. If it was acting as a modem it would be passing it's external address over.

Dave
Standard User rocstat1979
(newbie) Mon 24-Jan-11 17:13:26
Print Post

[re: Rockh] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Rockh:
That's not using the hub as a modem, it's still acting as a router, all you are doing is double NATing. If it was acting as a modem it would be passing it's external address over.

Fair point, however for my uses and as long as you have no remote access requirements it shouldn't cause any issues. If you do have a need the network to be accessible externally and don't want the 2 (in fact 3 given the wndr3700 is dual band) radios running at once then you should disable the dhcp server on the 3700, set it's IP address to something like 192.168.1.20 which is outside the default range of assignments of the homehub. you can then disable the wireless on the homehub and use the radios on the 3700 for your wireless connection with an ethernet connection between the 2 (into the one of the lan ports on the wndr3700, not the wan port).
  Print Thread

Jump to