Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User thelord
(newbie) Tue 28-Dec-10 11:09:13
Print Post

Yet another "what router" question

[link to this post]

Hi All,

Apologies for another "what router should I buy" thread, but I've had a browse on here for a while and not seen anything which is basic enough for me!

I don't have any particular requirements, other than stability, optimum wireless range, VPN for home working and my son is a gamer. I live in a Victorian semi and need the best reception through 2 or 3 brick walls and a wooden floor. I upgraded to wireless N to try and improve signal strength. Two PCs have TP-Link N cards, the other users are laptops, so wireless G. Oh, and a PS3 since Christmas smile.

I currently use a WAG160N which now seems to require a reboot every couple of hours, so am looking the best bang for my buck in a replacement - not more than £100, but ideally less! I recently switched to Xilo as my ISP.

I did consider a Billion 7300 or 7800N, but am a little confused by references to dual band wireless - I think my main question is would I be better off (i.e. get better reception) with a router capable of using the 5Ghz spectrum?

Line stats from the WAG160N are:

--- DSL Information ---
DSL Driver Version: AnnexA version - A2pB022g.d20e
DSL VPI/VCI: 0/38
DSL Status: ShowtimeRetrain Reason: 0
DSL Mode: G.DMT
DSL Channel: INTR
DSL Upstream Rate: 448 Kbps
DSL Downstream Rate: 5376 Kbps

Down up
DSL Noise Margin: 15.4 dB 24.0 dB
DSL Attenuation: 7.0 dB 3.0 dB
DSL Transmit Power: 9.8 dBm 12.4 dBm

Speedtest results are: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/12935...

My exchange is Draycott/EMDRAYC, and we're about 1/2 a mile away.

Thanks in advance!
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 28-Dec-10 13:11:59
Print Post

Re: Yet another "what router" question

[re: thelord] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by thelord:
...I think my main question is would I be better off (i.e. get better reception) with a router capable of using the 5Ghz spectrum?

It's unlikely that you'll receive better reception from the 5GHz band as the signal will suffer greater attenuation than a 2.4GHz signal over the same distance. However, you may be lucky.

...Line stats from the WAG160N are:

Down up
DSL Noise Margin: 15.4 dB 24.0 dB
DSL Attenuation: 7.0 dB 3.0 dB

My exchange is Draycott/EMDRAYC, and we're about 1/2 a mile away.

With these attenuation figures, I reckon you're well within 400m of the exchange!
You're ADSL service is currently being severely DLM'd.
With INTERLEAVING enabled (as it currently is), you should be sync'ing @ 7616kb/s downstream. With INTERLEAVING removed, you'll easily sync @ 8128kb/s downstream.

If you want a higher downstream sync rate, you will have to optimise your internal telephone wiring.

Apologies for straying off topic.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 28-Dec-10 16:57:57
Print Post

5 GHz is really only useful if you have interference / congestion issues on 2.4 GHz.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User meldrew
(experienced) Tue 28-Dec-10 18:11:16
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

You could expand your range by using a second wireless router in another part of the house connected to the main router with a cable. I get all my routers (you always need a spare!) from Ebay for next to nothing and I have to say I have never found any noticeable difference in performance.

Meldrew
Standard User iand
(experienced) Thu 30-Dec-10 14:39:36
Print Post

I have just 'downgraded' to a TD-W8960N for about £50. This looks to do everything you have asked. I also use Powerline adapters to get around the wireless through walls issue you have. You may want to do the same.

IanD
Standard User thelord
(newbie) Fri 31-Dec-10 09:55:31
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

Thanks for the advice. I went for the Billion 7300N in the end - would have it now if my kids would answer the door when the courier knocks!

On the wiring point, I've removed all extensions and the bell wire from my master socket, so I don't know of anything else I can do?

And I guess the DLM effect is because my router is so flaky - I've just found that Xilo show recent logins and I am reconnecting at least once every day - 26 times on Christmas Day!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 31-Dec-10 10:26:40
Print Post

On the wiring point, I've removed all extensions and the bell wire from my master socket, so I don't know of anything else I can do?

And I guess the DLM effect is because my router is so flaky - I've just found that Xilo show recent logins and I am reconnecting at least once every day - 26 times on Christmas Day!
Turn off and unplug the Christmas lights.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User thelord
(newbie) Fri 31-Dec-10 18:03:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:

Thanks Scrooge! wink
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 31-Dec-10 18:19:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Thanks Scrooge! wink
smile
Actually, it was a serious suggestion as to what could have caused the 26 reconnections.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User thelord
(newbie) Fri 31-Dec-10 19:11:08
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I suspected that but it's not a realistic suggestion in our house!

The problems go back much further than the start of Christmas decorations anyhow. No idea why the WAG160N is rebooting but TBH I'm glad to see the back of it.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to