Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 29-Dec-10 21:12:02
Print Post

Large House Wifi

[link to this post]

Hello all,
I currently have a Linksys WAG 160N, one of the earlier models, which is driving me a bit mad. The DHCP has the annoying feature of allocating addresses in the wrong range, which I think is a known issue with this router, and now randomly disconnects requiring a reset, so I've decided to upgrade. We're on O2, via LLU, and have a lot of devices connected wirelessly, laptop, MAC book, IPAD, various mobile phones, Xbox etc etc, also have quite a large house, where the signal drops quite low upstairs.

Looking around PC world today (don't worry don't plan on buying from there), Everything seems aimed at small/medium house, medium usage. What are the best ADSL routers for heavy usage, quite large houses? Or should I be looking at a business type router instead?
Standard User thomaswarne01
(newbie) Wed 29-Dec-10 21:35:54
Print Post

Re: Large House Wifi

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Hey netgear are good i use them all over my house
please pm me if you need more details i am a wireless expert!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 29-Dec-10 22:10:30
Print Post

If you use the O2 box to connect, and if you can then run an ethernet cable conveniently somewhere a way away, you can connect the Linksys on the end of that and disable its DHCP. Just use it as a WAP.

Set the SSIDs and security the same, perhaps different channels, and you can even move a laptop around withiout losing browsing type connection. (It should swap from one to the other).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 30-Dec-10 22:36:54
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the advice, using the wag 160n, or the O2 router as an access point sounds like a good plan. I just get the feeling that the mainstream consumer routers just aren't designed to stay on 24x7 and have so much traffic through them. The wag 160, seems to get very hot before it cuts out and drops the connection. I've ordered a Billion 7300n as a replacement.
Standard User thelord
(newbie) Sat 01-Jan-11 13:42:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Thanks for the advice, using the wag 160n, or the O2 router as an access point sounds like a good plan. I just get the feeling that the mainstream consumer routers just aren't designed to stay on 24x7 and have so much traffic through them. The wag 160, seems to get very hot before it cuts out and drops the connection. I've ordered a Billion 7300n as a replacement.

Snap! I've had a Billion 7300N as a replacement for a WAG160N for about 72 hours, and it's done everything I wanted - i.e. not crashed! Getting a good wireless signal through 2-3 brick walls and about 10 metres, although TBH I'm not sure it's any different to the Linksys signal strength.
  Print Thread

Jump to