Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User fusioned
(newbie) Mon 03-Jan-11 07:27:05
Print Post

Keep Draytek Vigor 2920n or find another?

[link to this post]

Just brought a Draytek Vigor 2920n and only realised when it arrived it did not have any ADSL ports - as the Vigor 2820 would. Instead, it has two WAN ports. Completely my fault for not reading the description more thoroughly.

I am currently with Be, and it sync between 10 to 16 mbps (currently 10.1mbps down with 29dB line attentuation) with the supplied Thompson TG585v7 Bebox, however I find it disconnects / reboots itself quite randomly at times, though especially noticeable under network load. This has become quite an annoyance, and having had good experiences with draytek equipment, I had decided it would serve the job at keeping the network up.

I am now faced with several options:

1) return the Vigor 2920N and buy another ADSL router with 4x gigabit ethernet ports / Wireless-N
2) Bridge the BeBox TG585v7 as a modem with the Vigor 2920N
or 3) Connect a spare Vigor 100 and bridge it to the Vigor 2920N

I previously had used the Vigor 100 with no issues on a BT/Entanet line (it is a replacement supplied by Draytek several years ago when the original modem stopped working and had been working very reliably otherwise), but recent testing shows it connecting to our Bethere connection at 2-3mbps slower than the Bebox.

One of my requirements is that the router have 3+ gigabit ethernet ports (for various reasons), and I haven't seen many routers that fulfill that.

Are there other modem/routers that can hold onto the line better than the Bebox? At present the bebox has been disconnnecting at particular times of day far too frequently, though I suppose it is possible it could be al ine issue.

For (1), what other suitable routers can be suggested? Personal experiences are welcome.
Or is either 2 or 3 more than capable - i.e. would the TG585v7 actually work as a decent modem once the routing/switching load has taken off? or would the Vigor 100 be more reliable?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 03-Jan-11 09:26:02
Print Post

Re: Keep Draytek Vigor 2920n or find another?

[re: fusioned] [link to this post]

Can't help with your main query, but is the BeBox getting very hot in the centre of the top?

If so, prop one side up by about 1"/2.5cm, to promote a cross-flow of air through it. The airflow is lousy otherwise and they overheat badly. Also make sure it is on a hard surface, not on a carpet for example, else the air inlets underneath get covered.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 03-Jan-11 09:49:37
Print Post

Are you on the latest firmware on the Bebox?

It's easy to bridge it and route using the Draytek.

_______________________________________________________________more_unwritten_rules_than_posts__________________.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User farrina
(newbie) Mon 03-Jan-11 10:51:07
Print Post

I also have a 2920n that I use to connect to Virgin XXL (Gigabit WAN port) and BE Pro (with Vigor 100 to fast WAN port). Bought this with my eye on Virgin 100meg service when it comes out in my area.

My experience would replicate yours in so far as the connection speed with the Vigor is slower than BE supplied router (which becomes very hot), but absolutely rock solid with Vigor.

Details from Vigor to BE connection show

SNR 4
Loop Atten 30
Downspeed 14.8
Up 1.74

Of course this is not quite as fast as the Virgin connection but as I work from home I highly value BE's reliablity. My experience of Virgin is that whilst the upload speed is pretty consistent at approx 4.8 download varies wildly from high 40 to as slow as 10

Cheers

Alan

Edited by farrina (Mon 03-Jan-11 10:56:11)

Standard User fusioned
(newbie) Mon 03-Jan-11 18:22:08
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I've just updated the firmware to the latest I can find (8.2.7.7), and confirming that it is working fine, I will try bridging it.

The Bebox does get rather hot, though I have this turned upside down so the vents are pointing upwards. I cannot gauge whether this is more or less effective though!

I will see how stable this set up is, before trying the Vigor 100 for another week.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 03-Jan-11 19:03:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by fusioned:
The Bebox does get rather hot, though I have this turned upside down so the vents are pointing upwards. I cannot gauge whether this is more or less effective though!
From what I remember, there are vents top and bottom! Though the ones at the top are hard to see.

The trouble is the hot air has no incentive to travel away from the centre.

The solution I suggested worked for many people on Speedtouch 585v6 and 585v7 (BeBox). Within minutes.

I think it likely that by turning it over you could easily make things worse.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 03-Jan-11 19:13:55
Print Post

It's designed to be mounted vertically, with the aerial at the top

_______________________________________________________________more_unwritten_rules_than_posts__________________.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 03-Jan-11 19:17:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
What is? The BeBox?

Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 03-Jan-11 19:32:29
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In reply to a post by BatBoy:
What is? The BeBox?
Yes. Like this http://www.flickr.com/photos/lunixx/2402317174

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 03-Jan-11 21:37:22
Print Post

That's a good way of mounting it. Do I see a stand there? I don't remember one with my O2 Box.

I don't reckon upside down will help, do you?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to