Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TLM
(legend) Tue 04-Jan-11 13:14:28
Print Post

Yet another confused (would be) buyer

[link to this post]

OK, as I've been buying some toys to beat the VAT hike, I'm going to need a new wireless modem router. I'm currently using a conventional wired broadband connection.

I have been wireless before, and have always gone with Netgear, BUT, I don't know if I've just been unlucky, but they seem to have a habit of not lasting very long. What's worse is they haven't failed outright - making it easy to diagnose the problem - but have just become progressively more temperamental and unstable, so that I was blaming my poor ISP, and all sorts, before eventually sussing the router was the problem!

Last time, I got so fed up, I wanted to chuck the whole lot out of the window, and that's when I gave up the whole wireless thing, and reverted to a wired connection, which (touch-wood) has been rock-solid.

But the time has now come for me to try again, otherwise I cannot use the latest WiFi enabled gadgets, and cannot use my laptop anywhere other than at my desk, which I'm getting pretty sick of.

So, bearing in mind I don't fancy another Netgear, which way to go?

Is there any virtue in getting one of the new (but more expensive) boxes that have 3G as well, and automatic failover in the event your broadband goes down? Or are these an expensive gimmick?

I would say easiness of setup (including security) is a key feature I would look for. Not that I haven't managed OK in the past, but the process was not without its hitches, IIRC, and the assistance of a few good folk here! Range (but not a vast range) is also important, so that I might have the potential - if we ever get any nice weather - to get online from the garden. Finally, it needs to be fairly compact and smart looking. I don't have a lot of space, so it's probably going to end up inhabiting the windowsill - not much room, but quite conspicuous. So I don't want some ugly monstrosity on there...

Oh, and I have no idea whether I want/need dual band or ADSL2+. I'm with Plusnet, so think both my ISP and exchange already support it, but don't know what I need to do at my end to fully exploit it.

/Sigh. Sorry for long rant. It's obvious I've not checked the market in a while, isn't it?

T.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 04-Jan-11 19:19:21
Print Post

Re: Yet another confused (would be) buyer

[re: TLM] [link to this post]

What router are you using at the moment and are Netgears definitely a "No No"

What sort of money are you wanting to spend?

I like Netgears but the Linksys WAG120N gets some good reviews (e.g. fwiw Which?) but I've never used a Linksys.

Can you post your line stats, it will tell us which Mode your router is using along with attenuation, noise margin etc. etc.

Harry
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 04-Jan-11 19:40:28
Print Post

I'm with Plusnet, so think both my ISP and exchange already support it
The line stats you have been asked for will tell us if you are on ADSL2+, but if you are not they won't tell us whether or not your exchange supports it. I don't think Plusnet always move people across automatically straight away.

If you put your phone number into this checker and look for WBC enabled under BT Wholesale information that tells you.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TLM
(legend) Wed 05-Jan-11 09:47:47
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Hi Harry,

Mixed news - I cannot get the router stats. frown

I'm using an ancient Speedtouch 330, which ironically is delivering better & more stable performance than when I tried to persevere with the Netgear.

As I say, I may just have been very unlucky with the latter, but I'm pretty sure it was the second one I've had that failed in a similar kind of way - magic for the first few months, then progressively more problems, until eventually the awful truth dawns that it's dying.

Anyway, as for the Speedtouch, it needs a utility called "Dr. SpeedTouch" to get the stats. I have this utility, but it won't run, as it keeps insisting it can't find the hardware, and that there is "something wrong with your computer". As I'm up and running stably with the hardware, and have been for at least a year or two, I'm inclined to believe the evidence of experience, and not that of the utility.

I'm not being deliberately uncooperative, but I'm in no mood for fault-finding, just to find out why the stats won't work, on a router I'm planning to scrap anyway.

I know the attenuation is high, as I'm on a long line, and have never been able to get better than about 4Mbps speed, on a good day, with any kit - indeed was delighted to achieve even that much! So I'm not expecting miracles.

I've checked my records, and find that I have been migrated to 21CN, but am still on ADSL at the moment, with the potential to upgrade to ADSL2+. Looks like I need to choose a new Plusnet product to do that.

If I'm right in my thinking, an ADSL2+ modem router should be backwards compatible to ADSL, meaning it could cope with either?

Tina
Standard User cajef
(experienced) Wed 05-Jan-11 10:28:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by TLM:
I've checked my records, and find that I have been migrated to 21CN, but am still on ADSL at the moment, with the potential to upgrade to ADSL2+. Looks like I need to choose a new Plusnet product to do that.

If I'm right in my thinking, an ADSL2+ modem router should be backwards compatible to ADSL, meaning it could cope with either?

You do not need to choose a new product, they are eventually switching everyone over to ADSL2+, however you can stay on your current product and ask to be changed over now by raising a ticket or as they like to put it 'opening a question'.

There is list of routers that they say are compatible with ADSL2+, bear in mind that the list is now over twelve months old and most modern routers should be compatible.

http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/adsl2-har...

PlusNet ADSL2+
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Edited by cajef (Wed 05-Jan-11 10:29:43)

Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Jan-11 11:40:00
Print Post

I'm using an ancient Speedtouch 330, which ironically is delivering better & more stable performance than when I tried to persevere with the Netgear.
Your Speedtouch (I believe) is using a Broadcom chipset which may explain why it's more stable than your Netgear. Some Netgear's have Broadcom chipsets but not all of them.So don't rule out Netgear yet - i.e. The DGN2000 is very popular (also Broadcom chipset).

I'm a big Broadcom chipset fan as they've really helped me on my line.
I'm using a Speedtouch 585v6 but also have a Netgear DG834GT which performs very similarly.

Standard User TLM
(legend) Wed 05-Jan-11 12:15:53
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

I know Netgear has a good reputation - which is why I have favoured it in the past.

It's just that my practical experience of them hasn't been very positive so far. Actually, it never occurred to me, until this discussion, that my problems with "instability" might have begun roughly when the switch to 21CN occurred.

As I eventually isolated it to a "hardware problem", which went away when I reverted to the Speedtouch router and a "wired" connection, I concluded the Netgear had simply packed up. I never really considered whether there had been some other change it couldn't cope with very well.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Jan-11 12:22:30
Print Post

I'm using an ancient Speedtouch 330
The Speedtouch 330 is only a USB modem, not an ADSL router. It is usually limited to 4 Meg unless you install some USB Modem Optimiser software.

Get your router stats from the Netgear temporarily to help the enquirers.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 05-Jan-11 14:07:54
Print Post

I've checked my records, and find that I have been migrated to 21CN, but am still on ADSL at the moment, with the potential to upgrade to ADSL2+.

You could find that ADSL2+ might not be of any benefit/use on your line with a high attenuation figure indicating a long line. In fact the connection could prove to be unstable with even a decrease in sync rate. ADSL2 might be more stable but until you try it who knows.

A graph showing speed gained plotted against attenuation for the two modes i.e. ADSL and ADSL2+

I take it that the ADSL connection you are using just now is fine, yes?

Most routers (newish with updated firmware) will be suitable for use with ADSL2 and ADSL2+ as well as ADSL.

Similar re. backwards compatible, with draft n routers and the other wireless standards.

Harry
Standard User TLM
(legend) Fri 07-Jan-11 00:26:03
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

OK, slightly against my better judgment, I've gone for the DGN2200, which I think is just the newer model in the line (also Broadcom - I hope!)

I noticed it has quite mixed reviews, with some saying it's excellent, and very reliable, and others that it's temperamental and keeps dropping the connection - exactly my previous experience with Netgear.

I'm determined I won't put up with it if it happens again. I should have sent the last one back, but partly out of apathy, and partly because it took me so long to realise the problem was my router, I just wrote it off as one of those things.

But now I'm on the lookout for this problem, and know the connection is stable if I'm running wired, I won't hesitate to make a fuss if the new one starts playing silly beggars.

A few posts (other forums, not here) link the problem to overheating. I think this is a possibility, because the last one did run hot, but I did not like to stand it on end, on the feet provided, as it was too easily knocked over.

But anyway, we'll see. I've ordered it from Amazon, so probably won't get it 'til Monday or Tuesday, and try the install next weekend.

I don't like to do stuff like that on a work day, just in case I screw up, and leave myself with no internet connection!

T.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to